Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Brilliant! I wish that I was as literate at digital engineering as you. I still do all of my calculations on graph paper and then have to build 3D models using that graph paper.
    Any way you can reason yourself into a design is good, even trial and error. The Romans built aquaducts that stand today. For this hammock, the smart money might have been trial and error...but I like doing the modeling for the fun of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    Really good to see you back at it again.
    You were the insperation tthat got me wanting to make my own bridge, i'm sure you remember me bugging you with questions awhile back, about 3 years or so.
    My bridge is a tank and one of the most comfortable hammocks i have ever laid in, thanks so much with all your help and i am sure alot of others also owe it to you for the insperation and the video's,,, they sure helped me alot.
    I will never sell my bridge, not only did it turn out great in my opinion but there comes a great feeling of acompishment in making your own gear .
    Thanks Grizz!!..
    I sure remember that Zilla, and ya done me proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    Thanks for making the new video, Grizz.

So many new hammock campers have joined here and also others have become recreational/part time use hammockers since the elders grouped together as hammock enthusiasts and propelled the evolution of camping hammocks thru HammockForums.net. A lot of folks only know the new lines of hammocks, tricked out styles, add-ons and whatnot without the beginnings and building blocks of the modern hammock.

Getting back to the basics, albeit advanced mathematics, may just be needed today so others know just how advanced these new hammocks are and why they are so comfortable. It wasn't an accident and I thank you among others with the "basics" of how they're made and the time and effort you take to chronicle your efforts thru video and graphics. Well done, good sir.
    I appreciate that. When I joined up the "Elders" were Risk, JustJeff, Ed Speers, Youngblood, Pan and Smee.... some engineering talent in there. Some great history stories too. I was at a hang where I helped someone film Ed Speers talking about his entry into hammocking, to stay out of reach of animals when canoeing in Alaska. Wonderful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    Thanks Grizz! From one junkie to another....

I have used that watch for 3 years now and it is still going strong. The one function worth memorizing is how to re calibrate the altimeter. As I understand it, all watches of this type should be calibrated often. I usually check it on peaks where the elevation is known and quickly adjust if needed while on trips.

Once you have it a bit I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Best wishes,

Rob
    Yep. These non-GPS altimeters work from barometric pressure, so you need to calibrate a known altitude with the measured air pressure
    and then it estimates altitude from changes. I'll wear it for a while as my every-day (if it doesn't look like a huge diving watch!), not that it's going
    to get much of an altitude work-out in Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by johne View Post
    oh, and i haven't put end caps on mine yet... i'm not sure it needs them unless i wanted to do an integrated bug net or something similar... i was thinking i'd do a gear loft just above my head that enclosed all the remaining area in mesh with a bit of shock cord at the top... then you could toss things in there like extra blanket, jacket, etc for easy access during the night... i never got around to implementing since i moved pretty quickly to a gathered end hammock (kinda doing things backwards, i think)...
    Yeah, an easy way to shed an ounce is to do without endcaps or just enough of the endcaps to keep things from falling out of the hammock. I'm aiming for a bugnet though, so the ends need to be sealed up. Me, I can sleep just fine in either a bridge hammock or a gathered end hammock. I do prefer the bridge, but hey, HYYH

Quote Originally Posted by mdwattsjr View Post
    Love the fact that when I'm done with a Grizz video, I feel smarter, not dumber!! Lol
    Mission accomplished, my job here is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to do the video! The precision in the splicing is the challenge. Might have to do another bridge with amsteel arcs just because that looks so much better at the corners.

Thanks again for sharing your advancements with the bridge designs
    Got that straight. I still get about 1/8 - 1/4 inch uncertainty in the cord sides, which is good enough, but makes me think I should figure a way to put the cords under tension when I'm doing my measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwattsjr View Post
    Every time I convince myself I don't need a bridge, the Professor comes out with another video.... Fine, you win, Grizz! I hope you're happy!
    Thrilled. Pictures or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    You do the math and I watch. I find myself looking to find an error. Bad habit, especially when I'm dealing with someone who knows the math. Your formulae on finding the number of hanging locations in a given area was classic. I found myself asking, "Oh, yeah? What's the chance (odds, a statistical thing) I won't find a couple trees that work." So...back to bridge hammocks and videos of your's--always good and thanks!
    Game on man! There's an Easter egg in there. Let's see if you can find it.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Got that straight. I still get about 1/8 - 1/4 inch uncertainty in the cord sides, which is good enough, but makes me think I should figure a way to put the cords under tension when I'm doing my measurements.
    that is what i did... since i use just one piece of amsteel for the whole suspension, i hang one side (the side with the two eye loops) on a chair, then find the center of the other side and hook that to a chair... i then come down one side and mark where the loops should go (taking into account the bury, etc)... i bury my short piece in there, then re-hang the whole thing and do the same to the other side.

i think, however, if i were to do it again, i would use two pieces and have eyes on both sides and just make sure the two pieces were the exact same length.. but i'd still put it all under tension when marking where to bury the short piece. the reason i'd change this is, when hanging the hammock as one piece, the one side kinda slips back and forth until you have the other side hung which is just a slight inconvenience...

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    it may be in other locations but this is on amazon.
    I wonder if you couldn't make the extension to add to a hot knife. They have one at the habitat for humanities store. The 2 screws that hold the various types of bits, I bet you could secure it there.

Hammock
    DIY GrizzBridge/Ariel
    Tarp
    DIY Hex SilPoly
    Insulation
    ClimaShield APEX
    Suspension
    Mostly muletape
    Thanks, Grizz, you truly are The Professor of Hammocks! Similarly to Zilla, I was bugging you earlier this year about the Ariel project. I made my version and camped in it one night in the snow. I made the following variations to your design: I used sewing bobbins at the spreader bar connections which are held in loops in the Amsteel. The Amsteel loops are also linked. I'll try to get a close up picture. By using the bobbins, I could use standard 1/4" diameter pole tips, but currently I am using 3/4" PVC. I made short extension ears of PVC for my external frame pack, so my pack frame becomes one spreader bar. On the one night I've used it so far, I used the pack frame as the bar over my head. The problem with this was that my exhalations condensed on the pack, then dripped back on me, so I will try using the pack at the foot end.

Hammock
    DIY GrizzBridge/Ariel
    Tarp
    DIY Hex SilPoly
    Insulation
    ClimaShield APEX
    Suspension
    Mostly muletape

Hammock
    DIY GrizzBridge/Ariel
    Tarp
    DIY Hex SilPoly
    Insulation
    ClimaShield APEX
    Suspension
    Mostly muletape
    I haven't made my tarp, yet, since I'm still fiddling with the lengths of the suspension and other things so I was using a sheet of plastic.

Hammock
    DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thanks Grizz for all of your excellent instructions and videos. After viewing your earlier video where you introduced the "Ariel" and reading johne's post on his bridge, I decided to try my hand at making one of these. This was my 4th DIY bridge and the first with set back spreader bars. I changed the dimensions slightly. I made the width 48" with a 7" cat cut, and did not taper the 9" extensions. The body is 1.6 oz Hexon from Dutch. I followed Johne's suspension pictorial. I like your method better. I must have reworked the bury points 3 or 4 times before I got them to match up sided to side. I added end caps, a full bug net and side pockets made from left over netting. I made my endcaps in the shape of a trapezoid. 28" top , 14" bottom and sides at 17" (14+17+17=48"). With my suspension triangle 28" was the width that worked for me. I added a 1 inch allowance for a rolled hem across the top and 1/2 seam allowance to the sides and bottom. There is a low spot at the head and foot end, but I like it that way. I store my jacket at the head end under my pillow and my feet are more comfortable with the slight depression in the fabric
    image.jpgIMG_2919.jpgIMG_2958.jpg

I also found that the sewing bobbins quickly became distorted with my full figure weight of 250#. I spent many hours looking thru the hardware section at Lowes and finally found these windshield wiper bushings at AutoZone. I cut the rubber bushing in half to save weight and this is how it looks. 4 of these weight 1.2 oz

IMG_2924.jpgIMG_2998.jpgIMG_2999.jpgIMG_3001.jpg

I spent 2 nights this past weekend camped in North Georgia and I was very comfortable

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    Quote Originally Posted by Overland View Post
    I followed Johne's suspension pictorial. I like your method better. I must have reworked the bury points 3 or 4 times before I got them to match up sided to side.
    what was the trick that finally worked for you? i want to make sure i go back to my pictures and warn others so they don't have the same problem.

i used bent washers instead of sewing bobbins... those bushings are perfect!

Hammock
    DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    [QUOTE=johne;1618282]what was the trick that finally worked for you? i want to make sure i go back to my pictures and warn others so they don't have the same problem.

I did like you suggested in one of your posts here. I hooked the fixed eye loops over a bolt in my vice and pulled tight to mark the first set of loops. Added them. Then re-tensioned to recheck the alignment. Then I threaded the suspension thru the hammock body and added a bolt with washers and a nut thru the first spreader bar loops just added. I then tensioned the hammock body and suspension away from the fixed loop to mark where the center of the 2nd spreader bar should go. This is where extra hands help. I removed the suspension from the body and increased the distance from the 1st spreader bar loop to the second marked location by 3/4 inch. I then added the second set of loops. I pulled the suspension back thru the body. Added bolts thru both spreader bar loops and re-tensioned to make sure everything lined up. I went thru all of this extra effort because I was unsure of how much length would be lost to the bury and how accurately I had measured the curved portion of the hammock body after sewing on the suspension channel.

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    That sounds kinda like the workflow I used though I don't think I had to install and remove so many times. I measured my suspension distance between head and foot spreader bars before starting then just used that same distance

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast