DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Really good to see you back at it again.
    You were the insperation tthat got me wanting to make my own bridge, i'm sure you remember me bugging you with questions awhile back, about 3 years or so.
    My bridge is a tank and one of the most comfortable hammocks i have ever laid in, thanks so much with all your help and i am sure alot of others also owe it to you for the insperation and the video's,,, they sure helped me alot.
    I will never sell my bridge, not only did it turn out great in my opinion but there comes a great feeling of acompishment in making your own gear .
    Thanks Grizz!!..

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Thanks for making the new video, Grizz.

So many new hammock campers have joined here and also others have become recreational/part time use hammockers since the elders grouped together as hammock enthusiasts and propelled the evolution of camping hammocks thru HammockForums.net. A lot of folks only know the new lines of hammocks, tricked out styles, add-ons and whatnot without the beginnings and building blocks of the modern hammock.

Getting back to the basics, albeit advanced mathematics, may just be needed today so others know just how advanced these new hammocks are and why they are so comfortable. It wasn't an accident and I thank you among others with the "basics" of how they're made and the time and effort you take to chronicle your efforts thru video and graphics. Well done, good sir.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Rob! Thanks. Through your .sig I had a look at Backpacking Adventures site, that's great. And then splurged on the watch from 'Gear I Use'. Hard to beat the price for the functionality. I'm a gear junkie....
    Thanks Grizz! From one junkie to another....

I have used that watch for 3 years now and it is still going strong. The one function worth memorizing is how to re calibrate the altimeter. As I understand it, all watches of this type should be calibrated often. I usually check it on peaks where the elevation is known and quickly adjust if needed while on trips.

Once you have it a bit I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Best wishes,

Rob
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    love the video!!!

i made this and it turned out nice... i found, however, that i prefer gathered end hammocks after i made it... oh well.... i saved it and someday i may re-visit that.

one thing i did differently was in the suspension. i used 1 piece of amsteel all the way around and then spliced in small pieces of rope in the corners to create the loops for the spreader bars. so i have two eyes at one end and just a fold at the other.

also, i found that i didn't need to sew in the amsteel at the corners. i just left it loose... i did re-enforce the material at the corners (holes for the spreader bars) with grograin. the material didn't slip under load because the spreader bars prevented it from moving. the advantage of this was that eventually, if i wanted to wash my hammock, i could remove all suspension (leaving only nylon).

lastly, i use this soldering iron:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_97541-273-82...d=3135969&pl=1
    for a hot knife... it works great and is much cheaper but has a few KEY disadvantages over the one grizz has.
    1. i have to have something under the fabric that won't burn. i use a large piece of pressboard
    2. i have to pull at the free side of the fabric as i go. this means i need one hand for the hot knife and one hand pulling. this leaves 0 hands free for making sure the fabric stays in place. for that, i clamp a 6' metal ruler to the fabric and run the soldering iron along the edge... it works well, but is quite a setup compared to just using the hot knife grizz has...

Hammock
    diy 10' tie dye
    Tarp
    PahaQue rainfly
    Insulation
    tiedye cs uq/tq
    Suspension
    soft shack/cinch b
    oh, and i haven't put end caps on mine yet... i'm not sure it needs them unless i wanted to do an integrated bug net or something similar... i was thinking i'd do a gear loft just above my head that enclosed all the remaining area in mesh with a bit of shock cord at the top... then you could toss things in there like extra blanket, jacket, etc for easy access during the night... i never got around to implementing since i moved pretty quickly to a gathered end hammock (kinda doing things backwards, i think)...

Love the fact that when I'm done with a Grizz video, I feel smarter, not dumber!! Lol

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Thanks for taking the time to do the video! The precision in the splicing is the challenge. Might have to do another bridge with amsteel arcs just because that looks so much better at the corners.

Thanks again for sharing your advancements with the bridge designs

Every time I convince myself I don't need a bridge, the Professor comes out with another video.... Fine, you win, Grizz! I hope you're happy!

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    it may be in other locations but this is on amazon.
    Yikes! Pricey little bugger, isn't it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    You do the math and I watch. I find myself looking to find an error. Bad habit, especially when I'm dealing with someone who knows the math. Your formulae on finding the number of hanging locations in a given area was classic. I found myself asking, "Oh, yeah? What's the chance (odds, a statistical thing) I won't find a couple trees that work." So...back to bridge hammocks and videos of your's--always good and thanks!
    CMFSAT

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast