Thread: Netting Search

Netting Search

So the wife and I bought a house and the old owners left a giant hammock frame in the back yard. We thought that was cool and we'd get the netting to go with it. However, looking around I have not been able to find netting that would fit this frame (perhaps that was why it was left with the house for two new suckers to deal with). I don't even know what search terms to use for it other than "ball end" and I haven't found much. Does this style have a name? Anyone have pointers on where to look? Each end is a metal ball with a hole just below it, but only on the inside of the post where the netting would be. There is no hole on the outside of the post/arm thing.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    If I'm imagining this right, you should be able to get started by buying two strong "s" hooks and putting them into the hold just below the ball. Then you can attach your hammock to the hook. Otherwise, you'd have to drill another hole in the back side of the stand and run a long eye bolt through the two holes, with the eye to the inside of the stand to which you would attach the hammock.

+1 on the S hooks. They'd be laying on the poles (or better: upright standing), which might look a bit wobbly and strange at first. But once the force of the hammock is applied they stay in place just fine.

And you can install any hammock you like, provided it's ridgeline length fits between the hooks.
    So you can choose a gathered end hammock, a bridge, anything.

Ah, ok. I thought maybe the ends of a particular hammock design would slide over the ball on each end. Sounds like that's not how it's supposed to work. My second theory was thwarted by having a hole on just one side - seemed like you could thread line through two holes and secure on the back, but not so with one. I can see how the S-hooks would work, though. Looks like I have more research and learning to do! It's never as simple as it seems. :-)

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red 5 View Post
    seemed like you could thread line through two holes and secure on the back,
    This would result in cutting or abrading the rope lines. That would lead to catastrophic failure. Be glad there is only one hole....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts