Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drowning in options

Hello all,

I have decided to start camping with the family. I am also an avid motorcyclist and would like to use the motorcycle to transport my gear so I guess I am looking into motorcycle camping. In looking into different options I have come across hammock camping and have been looking at videos and reading a lot and I think I have settled on a setup. I am thinking about getting a warbonnet blackbird xlc dual layer 1.7 with a superfly tarp. I think I want to use whoppie slings.

Living in Alabama led me to choose the dual layer and 1.7 hammock. With all of that said I have a feeling that I am missing something, I keep reading and watching about dutch clips and different ridge lines. If I get the items I have mentioned is there anything that I must have that I would be missing or is everything included. I know this may be a question for the manufacturer but I wanted to get it from the "experts" This is something that I am hoping my family and I all get into and will start finding family friendly local hangs.

Any advice would help

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    There are a TON of different pieces to add/subtract from a setup. It takes time to figure out your needs and where you can sacrifice and still be comfortable. Top quilts and underquilts are NECESSARY for cooler weather, we camp in 1'+ snow with 0 degree rated down uq's and tq's. But you dont need the expensive ones for summer. Pullouts for your hammock are neat, but i tend to trip over them so i leave'em at home. This is a VERY modular sport we've got here, and hundreds of each option for each little thing. A guy came out with some new 'bling' that looks like a cog or gear, super effective and useful in ways he didnt even think of. I like using knots instead of hardware, i even developed one to connect suspension to hammock. Read through and find more specific questions to ask and we'll give all answers freely.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    I use dutch's hexon 1.0, a diy bugsock, and a nsn tarp with my (not patented) 12' tree straps on a MSH and a Jbend eliminating the need for whoopie slings. I use a poncho liner underquilt (pluq) and a poncho liner top quilt (pltq) and i sleep inside on a 1" pipe frame stand every night.
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

The Blackbird and the Superfly are very good picks.
    The Blackbird comes with suspension, so it's ready to go, the Superfly doesn't. So you'll need lines and eventually hardware (or you tie knots).
    Just watch Brandon's videos, for example the one about basic tarp setup.
    https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/videos/

What you'll need additionally is insulation from the top (your sleeping bag should do the trick for the start) but also from the bottom.
    In the double layer Blackbird you can insert a pad in between the layers or you decide for a more comfortable underquilt.

That should get you started.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    i'm into motorcycle camping too, and the warbonnet xlc and superfly are great ways to get into hammock camping. when i started, i bought a bunch of Ti gear that i really never ended up using. the xlc comes with suspension, but the superfly comes bare so you'll need to buy a way to suspend it and stake it down. my current set up for a tarp consists of a nite ize biner, a single wasp, and 30+ feet of zing-it to create a continuous ridgeline, tarpworms on each tie-outs with 6' of zing-it, and msr groundhog stakes.

there are a bazillion ways to do it, and it's just a matter of finding what works for you once you know what pieces you need.

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    I would say keep it as simple as possible at first until you hang a few times you won't really know what you need.

Blackbird should be good to go out of the box.
    Superfly will just need guylines, stakes and a ridgeline.

I would probably get a roll of zing-it or lash-it and some Msr minigroundhog stakes. Those are a safe start.

What online shops are recommended for additional lines and other necessities?

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    This is my standard advice to new hangers. My biggest suggestion to you is item 4.

1) Read all the sticky posts at the top of each section here at Hammock Forums. You will find all of your questions answered plus questions you have not thought of yet.

2) Go to You Tube and watch all of Shug's videos. He will also answer all your questions but make you laugh. Leave lots of times to watch these

3) Google The Ultimate Hang and read Derek's The Ultimate Hang pages. He does a great of explaining things you did not even know you needed to know. He also does great diagrams so it's easy to understand.

4) Attend a Hammock Forum group hang before you invest any addition $ in your gear. There folks will show you and let you check out their gear so you can make educated decisions based on your own comfort levels

4) Lastly NEVER take any gear to the field that you have not completely tested in controlled conditions such as your back yard in the temps/environment you expect to encounter in the field. A set up that suits one person will mostly likely not suit another so don't assume that just because I like/can be comfortable with a specific piece of gear that you will. Really. We are all very different when it comes to hammocks and what works/what does not work.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    What Deb said and to make sure you didn't miss it. Go to a group hang. Go to a group hang. Go to a group hang.

We love to show and tell and answer questions. It's also great to have someone help you dial in your system while you're in the hammock.

As a start with your hammock, you're set for bed(hammock/suspension and bugnet) and shelter(tarp-need suspension and guy lines/stakes).

Next comes insulation for most folks at temps below 70*F. You can use a sleeping bag and pad until you get quilts if you choose to. Also, sometimes a really small pillow can help, but not necessary.

Now, go watch some Shug videos.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by lastparrot View Post
    What online shops are recommended for additional lines and other necessities?
    There are many. One good spot is Dutch's place:
    http://www.dutchwaregear.com/tarp-and-quilt-stuff/

Dutch is on this forum, with his own section:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/.../107-Dutchware

You can ask him there or by mail with any question you might have and he will gladly answer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast