Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH

Cuben Fiber Standard tie out questions

For owners of the cuben fiber standard or winter palace, how long are your tie outs to your stakes? I've read 2x 6ft and 2x 10ft for variable porch mode.

I've read that shock cord isn't necessary with cuben fiber, and maybe I just don't understand, but wouldn't it still help to hold tension to have some for tie outs?

For your doors, how long are your tie outs? Do you bring extra stakes to stake out your doors -- or do you keep them tucked away mostly? Do you use shock cord for these (and if so, what diameter? Can 1/16" shock cord hold doors in wind?)? I was planning on using 4 ft of shock cord to tie one door to the adjacent door for storm mode.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Shock cord is useless with cuben fiber since cuben fiber doesn't stretch. The whole point of shock cord tensioners is to make up for the fact that silnylon sags when wet. Cuben fiber doesn't sag when wet, so the use of shock cord is suspect. However, there are folks (like Shug) who use shock cord with cuben fiber. Personally, I don't think it does anything.

I use 8 ft. tie-outs, but I'm not into porch mode. I never lay in my hammock in the daytime, so a view doesn't really benefit me. I actually use my hammock for sleeping, not chillaxing!

I don't use shock cord on my doors either - just 1.75 mm Zing-It.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Shock cord is useless with cuben fiber since cuben fiber doesn't stretch. The whole point of shock cord tensioners is to make up for the fact that silnylon sags when wet. Cuben fiber doesn't sag when wet, so the use of shock cord is suspect. However, there are folks (like Shug) who use shock cord with cuben fiber. Personally, I don't think it does anything.

I use 8 ft. tie-outs, but I'm not into porch mode. I never lay in my hammock in the daytime, so a view doesn't really benefit me. I actually use my hammock for sleeping, not chillaxing!

I don't use shock cord on my doors either - just 1.75 mm Zing-It.
    Thanks for your opinion. How long is your zing-it on your doors?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by boynamedpigeons View Post
    Thanks for your opinion. How long is your zing-it on your doors?
    Probably 4 feet - it doesn't need to be very long since the doors are quite close to the ground usually.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    I've only had my HG Cuben Standard for just over a year. I took the advice of someone to make my "4" corner tie outs I made 6ft long, I used a Prusiks at the D rings and gave a buried loop on one end and a complete bury on the other using 1.75mm Lash-it. I have not needed more than "4" tent pegs yet. Even this winter during a "2" day snowstorm I managed fine with just "4" tent pegs. I have been carrying "8" but seriously thinking of dropping to just "5", one for a spare. The only bad weather I've experienced was the snowstorm and I tied the doors to the opposite corner stakes using some stretch cord with mitten hooks which was removed frI'm my hennesey hammock. It was however difficult entering and exiting with this arrangement. I'm still experimenting but definitely feel carrying "8" tent pegs is overkill. I was able to easily place my tarp in porch mode with just 6ft of line. I do carry some extra 6ft line with me in case I need it but that too will probably get whittled down if find no need for it.
    Last edited by Bike-N-Hike; 04-18-2016 at 12:04.
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

I'm using 4' and 6' on my winter tarp, works fine with stakes but I'm quite limited in terms of going stakeless and tying off to trees or scrub. At the moment, I only have line on one door on each end (on diagonal corners). I stake one door down and use an s-biner on the other to clip into the other door's tie-out. This makes ingress/egress a breeze. I can also tie doors on opposite ends together to make a faux hex tarp if I prefer. I haven't decided if this is my permanent setup, but it certainly works.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty / Dutchware
    Tarp
    HG cuben w doors
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar + SMC
    I like having a bit of shock cord present as it takes up the shock when you kick it in the middle of the night. It also keeps the tarp tight when the stake is slowly getting pulled up from the wet ground in a storm. YMMV of course!

I like to stake the tarp so that three doors are closed and one is partially open. I can squeeze through fine. Having a bit of elastic in the door tiedowns helps with this.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I have 6' tie outs on the corners which work for porch mode most of the time. When it's nice out, porch mode makes for better air circulation and keeps me dry in a light rain.

On the doors I have I think about 3 foot of shock cord with those little tarp hooks or whatever I got from Dutch. To make a hex, I clip the shock cords together on the same side of the tarp. To make doors close I clip to the D rings on opposite sides of the trap. To open a door, I just give the little hook a twist and it pops off the D ring.

I carry a couple of 12' lines and a couple of 6' lines (all Zing-It) to use for the pull outs if needed ala Warbonnet guy (see his youtube video for tie out ideas).

Happy hanging!
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Dyneema, Silpoly
    Insulation
    HGear, Zpck,WB, EE
    Suspension
    Straps
    I have 8' cord on all tie out points. Negliable weight difference, pretty much knot free.

Hammock
    DblW Hexon/Chameleon/Half-Wit/NX270
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps w/BeetleBuk
    My 2 cents on shock cord & cuben fiber....

Though my tie outs were not shock cord, the first thing I did when I first set up my tarp was trip over the shock cord tie outs on my half-wit. That had the effect of launching the titanium peg directly through the tarp in about 2 seconds. Luckily the tarp came with patch tape and I was able to get it watertight before the rain.

Later, i figured out to tie the half wit tie outs back toward my head and always go under the tarp from the foot end. That's still the way I do it.

If you're a clutz like me, i wouldn't ever think of using shock cord for the tarp tie outs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast