Hammock
    ENO Junglenest

New to hammocking (?), want to hammock camp

Hi!

I am new to using a hammock and I don't know what I'm doing. I hope to go backpacking with my family sometime this summer. My daughter and I tested a couple of our hammocks yesterday. I have been buying random stuff (like I said, don't know what I'm doing). Right now, we have two inexpensive hammocks (that's what my daughter is in in the picture). We have an Eno JungleNest that I'm going to try, but if it's too short for me it will probably go to my daughter as the cheap ones are longer. We also have a 71"x120" no-name that is supposed to hold two people, but I hope to use it if I can figure out how to deal with the mosquitos.

I have a Yukon Outfitters rainfly that seems awfully small - I am liking the 8x10 tarp that my daughter has. Since we would only do short 1-2 night trips, I'm not as concerned with the weight as I would be if we were doing a thru-hike.

I also picked up three of the $5 hammocks that five-below had. I was considering using them as hang chairs, or possibly taking them off their hooks and adding thrift store sleeping bags to them and making underquilts from them. The ends are just knotted.

I would LOVE any and all advice anyone can give me. The forums here are a great resource.

We really enjoyed just hanging out at the river.

IMG_5669.jpgIMG_5681.jpgIMG_5687.jpg

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    The Yukon rainfly is meant to be set up as a diamond, not a sqaure, so that will give you a little more coverage if you're not already hanging it that way. I have the Yukon rainfly, and I agree it's a little small, but just enough coverage for a light rain. It's not really a severe storm kind of tarp.

You can buy, or make a bug net to deal with bugs. Personally I just rub some deep woods Off on my face and hands before bed and never have any bugs bother me. You do end up smelling like bug spray for the next 18 hours though.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness

find a group hang to attend even if it just to visit for the day. Take your gear and the folks at the hang will be happy to show you how to set it up properly. You can also check out the other rigs and ask questions about the gear you see being used and why.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    cheap tent tarp
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    Welcome....

Oh shoot! I was just in your area this morning coming out from Sipsey. Could have demoed a Hennessey for you.

Check the forums for group hangs near you. I know there are plenty of Alabama hangers. Seeing a variety in person is priceless.

Second best is YouTube. Search for Shug's vids or see the link at hammock forums home page. Also check theultimatehang.com for Derek Hansen's intro stuff.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    The simplest suspension, in my opinion, is long straps and cinch buckles with carabiners or dutch clips on the ends. There are other lighter options but if weight is less of an issue, cinch buckles are razy simple. For mosquitos, soak the hammocks in permethrin. It's worthless on your skin but gives gear a repellant, big killing finish that is evidently ok for humans and dogs. It will kill cats though when it's wet. Or you can make bug nets. Check out fronkey styles or even the Dutch half net styles. I would look into underquilts before top quilts. I do not recommend pads unless you already have them. I have pads and use them, but I already had them and decided to go for top quilts first. Sleeping bags can be used as quilts. If you have them, use them. Hammocks are exponentially more comfy than sleeping on the ground but if you think it will be easier to find a hanging spot than a tenting spot, I feel you will be sorely disappointed. Also test all your gear multiple times BEFORE you get into the back country. Know your gear before you go and avoid possible problems and maybe even how to deal with them. Suspension hardware is super convenient, but adds some weight and the best stuff (dutchwaregear.com ) is pretty spendy. For one person it's not too bad, but it can be pretty depressing outfitting 5 people with dutch bling. $200 worth doesn't even really fill a letter sized envelope but it's a great addition. I'm not affiliated with dutch in any way but I am a huge fan... I just can't afford it so I make my own. There's a whole lot of other stuff but I'm tired of typing now, lol. That's the beauty of this whole thing you can try stuff, research stuff, go to group hangs and check stuff out and really dial in what works best for you. HYOH isn't just a slogan. It's a lifestyle.

Cheers,
    the Goat
    Last edited by Billy Goat; 04-18-2016 at 07:04.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Astabeth View Post
    Hi!

I am new to using a hammock and I don't know what I'm doing. I hope to go backpacking with my family sometime this summer. My daughter and I tested a couple of our hammocks yesterday. I have been buying random stuff (like I said, don't know what I'm doing). Right now, we have two inexpensive hammocks (that's what my daughter is in in the picture). We have an Eno JungleNest that I'm going to try, but if it's too short for me it will probably go to my daughter as the cheap ones are longer. We also have a 71"x120" no-name that is supposed to hold two people, but I hope to use it if I can figure out how to deal with the mosquitos.

I have a Yukon Outfitters rainfly that seems awfully small - I am liking the 8x10 tarp that my daughter has. Since we would only do short 1-2 night trips, I'm not as concerned with the weight as I would be if we were doing a thru-hike.

I also picked up three of the $5 hammocks that five-below had. I was considering using them as hang chairs, or possibly taking them off their hooks and adding thrift store sleeping bags to them and making underquilts from them. The ends are just knotted.

I would LOVE any and all advice anyone can give me. The forums here are a great resource.

We really enjoyed just hanging out at the river.

IMG_5669.jpgIMG_5681.jpgIMG_5687.jpg
    You're new to hammocking but you're out there already..Good luck and like the others said, find yourself a group and you'll be in good hands.
    No matter where you go...There you are..

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I did a whole How-To series way back......https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ials-For-Noobs
    May give you some insight.
    Enjoy the comfort quest.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

You'll make little mods and tweaks here and there. It's like a game, really - seeing how comfortable you can be for the least amount of money!

• + New Posts