Eno CamoNest
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    Snugpak Blanket
    Suspension
    Circle Straps

Swinging Bridge;Suches, Georgia

So, I came a portion of the Benton MacKaye Trail that was very hammock friendly, indeed.
    101_2214.jpg
    I came up to this sight, and immediately felt the urge to join them, so I did.
    101_2215.jpg
    Although I only took pictures of all the ENOs, I also spied a couple Grand Trunks, and a WB.
    It was a great little camping area. I was just surprised at the number of hammocks present.
    Slowly swaying in a hammock is my version of a steady morphine drip, without the risk of renal failure.

Senior Member ChucksOrangeDream's Avatar
    Hammock
    HickoryNut Hammocks
    Tarp
    Winter Dream by UG
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    That looks like a nice week end trip! Not too far from me. Thanks for the share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    The BMT is on my list! Can't wait to hike it. I know there are alot of ENO haters out there but my wife and I love our DoubleNests!

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Nice! So would the closest trailhead be north of that area on Hwy 60?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    The closest trailhead is at Hwy 60 and the FS Road 816 junction outside of Suches. You can park on Hwy 60 and hike back south on the BMT over Toonowee Mountain (3.5 miles) to the Toccoa River swinging bridge. Or you can drive down FS 816 from Hwy 60 and park .25 miles from the river. That is the reason I am wary camping here although it is one of my favorite N.G. camping spots.

I was at this campsite in early April while hiking the Georgia Loop. About 10:30 pm right before I was to get in my hammock about 15 flashlights came bouncing across the bridge with people screaming at the top of their lungs. They came across the bridge, over the creek and right down into my campsite surrounding my fire. At first I was a little freaked out but realized by their laughter that they meant no harm.

They were college kids out exploring haunted places in the area. They said a women hanged herself from the bridge many years ago and if you run across the bridge screaming her name that her face would appear in front of you.

So for the next 1/2 hour, they ran back and forth across the bridge screaming her name. I actually thought it was pretty funny.

Out of the 6 nights on the Georgia Loop, I had a crazy thing happen to me very single night. I was unbelievable. After 3 nights, I was exhausted but it was fun. I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen to me next.

Earlier in the night before the college kids arrived, me and another guy had to go checkout a capsized canoe that I had seen take off with 3 people earlier in the afternoon. As I was out for an evening stroll, I saw that the canoe was upside down and caught in the rapids. A guy I met near the bridge, Jonathon, waded out in a swift current up to his waist to check on the canoe but couldn't turn in back upright. And he was a former Army Ranger, an incredibly strong dude but the canoe wouldn't budge. Luckily, no one was inside the canoe as he reached under but strangely the paddles were trapped underneath. The three people must have been thrown out, waded to the opposite shore and then hiked back to the highway. It was a cold night too.

Bottom line - Enjoy the Toccoa River swinging bridge but be wary of locals coming in at night.

Carl

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post

Bottom line - Enjoy the Toccoa River swinging bridge but be wary of locals coming in at night.

Carl
    Thanks Carl, sounds like my kinda place.

• + New Posts