Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Packing top and under quilts while hiking

I have been playing with my gear as I prepare to hike for 8 weeks on the AT this summer. Being new to hammocks has me rethinking how to pack after always bringing tents, pads and sleeping bags. I always place a trash compacter bag inside my pack to protect my gear and use a rain cover when it rains. I recently bought a HG 20* UQ and an EE 30* TQ off the "For Sale" tab. This site is incredible for help and gear!

My usual method for sleeping bags is to use a Sea To Summit evac event waterproof bag at the bottom of my pack. I played with putting my hammock and tarp in another STS event waterproof bag on the outside of my pack. I bring what I need to be comfortable but my goal is 27 pounds fully packed with food and water.

During a recent hike I placed my TQ and UQ in a STS waterproof evac event bag and did not compress it too much. I packed other gear on top of this.

How do other hammock hikers carry their quilts?
    Last edited by Longrun; 04-16-2016 at 16:06.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Lucky you. Where are you starting the trail? I pack my hammock, under quilt, and top quilt at the bottom of my bag in a separate trash compactor bag. Tarp is always in a a snake skin on the outside of my pack. My Gregory Baltoro 65 allows me to unzip the pack in suit case mode so it's easy to get to.

I use the Gregory Baltoro 75. Love how it carries.

I start the trail June 5 and start heading north from Springer Mtn. I have 8 weeks to see how far I go.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I place my quilts in a cuben fiber dry bag at the bottom of the pack. Everything goes in a trash compactor bag as well.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Longrun View Post
    I start the trail June 5 and start heading north from Springer Mtn. I have 8 weeks to see how far I go.
    Nice. I'm not sure you will need much of a top quilt starting at that date. Good luck and report back.

Hammock
    AHE 11' DOUBLE
    Tarp
    AHE TOXAWAY
    Insulation
    AHE JR UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/WHOOP
    I tried an experiment last summer while hiking on the benton mackaye trail. I didn't use a stuff sack for my SB and just stowed it at the bottom as usual...the rest of my gear I stowed as usual..my pack seemed to "settle" better inside and carried better..I was carrying my Osprey Atmos AG 65 ....then I tried it with my ULA CIRCUIT and the results were the same....and its quicker and easier to get loaded up when it's time to hit the trail again...bottom line for me is I couldn't see any appreciable gain of space or organizational advantage by using a stuff sack for the SB. ..Once again there are no real rules to this madness....if it feels good do it.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I will offer this.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutbait1961 View Post
    I tried an experiment last summer while hiking on the benton mackaye trail. I didn't use a stuff sack for my SB and just stowed it at the bottom as usual...the rest of my gear I stowed as usual..my pack seemed to "settle" better inside and carried better..I was carrying my Osprey Atmos AG 65 ....then I tried it with my ULA CIRCUIT and the results were the same....and its quicker and easier to get loaded up when it's time to hit the trail again...bottom line for me is I couldn't see any appreciable gain of space or organizational advantage by using a stuff sack for the SB. ..Once again there are no real rules to this madness....if it feels good do it.
    That's how I do it. Stuff it...stuff it good! Stuff sacks? We don't need no stinking stuff sacks. Where we're going we don't need stuff sacks...
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast