Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zipped
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Std Camo
    Insulation
    HG, Quilts, 0 +2oz
    Suspension
    Whoppie Sling
    I think it boils down to personal preference. In my case I went from a 50L pack to a 34L and found that the compressed dry sack left too much unused space in the pack. I was attaching the dry sack externally until someone here suggested to try and stuff it straight into the pack. Now I can fit everything inside which makes it alot nicer not having 3lbs dangling from my packs bottom. Prior to that I was carrying a square rucksack style pack which easily accommodated a stuff sack full of down.
    Hanging in Tree's since 2012
    Tent Backpacking since 1974

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I tipped a canoe over a few years ago. Everything that was in roll too dry bags got wet. Everything that was in a trash compactor bag in my pack stayed dry.

I use a small peace of Velcro to tie off my trash compactor bag.

This experience made me a believer in the trash compactor bag. If it can protect while floating down the Shenandoah, then I'm certain it'll keep everything dry while hiking in the rain.

Tarp
    Ole man winter
    Quote Originally Posted by Longrun View Post
    I start the trail June 5 and start heading north from Springer Mtn. I have 8 weeks to see how far I go.
    How long you think it will take you to get to Clingmans dome do you think? I've been thinking of doing the same thing you have planned.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    What I have been doing for long distance hikes, is this: Trash Compactor Bag as a bag liner, this completely waterproofs the inside. Then at the bottom I stuff in my quilts, no stuff sack, no extra garbage bag, just stuff them into the compactor bag inside the backpack. Then stuff everything else in on top, anything we goes on the outside, or roll top the trash compactor bag, and then set the wet stuff on top of that but still in the pack. This setup has worked very very well for me in some serious downpours. One trip we spent two days with less than 10 min that wasn't coming down on us. I did use a pack cover those days for added protection. Pack cover is the dutch one.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I use a trash compactor bag to line the inside of my pack. I throw my long johns and sleeping socks in at the bottom, then go my quilts, then my hammock and bug net if I need it, my down jacket, and my beanie and gloves. Then I use the bag as a compactor by pushing the air out of it and compressing everything. I use a medium zero and two 20 degree quilts plus everything else barely takes up the bottom half of the pack.

Needleisure, (Great name!) Clingman's Dome is 198.9 miles from Springer Mountain.
    During my gear shakedown hike the end of March - flip flopping back and forth around Harper's Ferry - I carried a 36.6 pound backpack with food and water. I carried extra gear to test and play with. My goal for the trail in under 26 pounds complete. I am going to be under that. I am not ultra lite but know where I want to be weight and bulk wise and still have fun things I want and need. I averaged 9 miles a day on my shakedown hike and felt great! 54 miles in 6 day 5 nights.

I have 8 weeks on the trail. I am a teacher and school ends June 2. I live north of Chicago and am taking Amtrak to the city, going to Greyhound and heading to Springer Mtn - Hiker Hostel will shuttle me to the hostel then to Springer. I will be hiking June 5!

My goal is 8 miles a day the first week (1 zero day). 8-10 miles in week two (1 zero day). 10-12 miles a day week three (1 zero day). Then I will have my hiking legs and be off. I guess I will be taking pictures at Clingmans Dome the start of week 4. I have no total mileage goals for the 8 weeks - just to enjoy and have the time of my life.

I use a Mini Atomic alcohol stove, eat well and hike with an umbrella - always have, always will. I am easy to spot on the trail! Maybe we will meet on the trail!
    Daniel
    Last edited by Longrun; 04-24-2016 at 07:50.

The information from these posts is incredible. Thank you all! I have been playing with packing methods. I am leaning to NOT using my water proof Sea To Summit compression bags. My top and under quilt fit easily on the bottom of my pack in a trash compacter bag with other "soft" item packed on top and then the bag rolled and closed. Everything compresses beautifully. I keep my tarp and hammock on the outside of my pack in a separate waterproof compression bag. Everything seems to balance and carry very well this way. And I have much more room in my pack! I have six weeks to practice but this seems like a great option.

This site rocks!!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuban
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,EE, LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie, D-Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerous View Post
    I use a Sea-To-Summit Medium dry bag to stuff my TQ and UQ into. It cinches down nicely and fits perfectly sideways into the bottom of my pack. During my last trip I tried just shoving it all down into the bottom as suggested here before, and found I was constantly shoving and compressing the gear on top to try to get it fit. Much easier in my opinion to just compress it with the sack and not with the rest of my gear.
    How many liters is your sea to summit dry bag? I like the idea putting both quilts into one dry sack.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    The information from these posts is incredible. Thank you all! I have been playing with packing methods. I am leaning to NOT using my water proof Sea To Summit compression bags. My top and under quilt fit easily on the bottom of my pack in a trash compacter bag with other "soft" item packed on top and then the bag rolled and closed. Everything compresses beautifully. I keep my tarp and hammock on the outside of my pack in a separate waterproof compression bag. Everything seems to balance and carry very well this way. And I have much more room in my pack! I have six weeks to practice but this seems like a great option.

This site rocks!!!
    Glad you found your answers.

After you start doing this, though, it is hard to go back. I now get annoyed at stuffing things into small sacks.

Hammock
    DIY Black Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    During a recent hike I placed my TQ and UQ in a STS waterproof evac event bag and did not compress it too much. I packed other gear on top of this.

How do other hammock hikers carry their quilts?
    Pretty much exactly like this! Except they are in their own individual evac sacks (only because I had the xs sack for my TQ and when I made my UQ they didn't both fit, so I got a second sack. In hindsight, I should have gotten a slightly larger one to put both in).

I can (and usually do) keep them uncompressed, but I have the option of really cinching them down if I need to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast