Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Suspension
    Webs

RBTR Winter tarp helpful tips

Hello all!

So I'm super excited to say that I just order my first RBTR Winter Tarp Kit and I cant wait for it to get here! In the mean time, while I wait for it to get here, I was wondering if any of you have any helpful tips for the project? I'm fairly inexperienced with sewing, so I might be a bit overly ambitious here, but I figure there's only one way to learn.

I ordered the 1.1oz Silpoly PU4000 kit, already have a full tube of seam grip, downloaded the xtrekker curve generator, the PDF instructions for sewing this bad boy. Plus I have zing-it, shock cord, microbiners and some other miscellaneous things if I need them. I'm wondering if it would be worth while to sew grosgrain down the ridgeline as i've seen on some other premade tarps as well, and I will almost certainly sew in the optional tie outs.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

(ps.: I'm currently working on making a DIY UQ out of an old sleeping bag that i'll post pictures of soon.)

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    I would definitely do a search in the DIY section for tons of info regarding tarp builds, etc. You should find tons of threads with ideas, tips, and plans. This website is a huge source of knowledge that sometimes requires a bit of searching. Also do a search on youtube for DIY hammock tarps and you will find a few videos with basic tips on tie outs, ridge line construction, etc.

I actually just finished the Winter Tarp Kit. You picked a good project to start with, tarps are pretty straight forward. I've never used a curve generator when I made my cat curves. I always have done the "hang a string across a template" approach. Let us know how the curve generator works for you. As far as the ridgeline, I prefer the flat felled seam. It's straight forward, and very strong.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    IMO you don't need to make cat cuts unless you like the look. Silpoly don't stretch like SilNylon does.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyphus View Post
    Hello all!

So I'm super excited to say that I just order my first RBTR Winter Tarp Kit and I cant wait for it to get here! In the mean time, while I wait for it to get here, I was wondering if any of you have any helpful tips for the project? I'm fairly inexperienced with sewing, so I might be a bit overly ambitious here, but I figure there's only one way to learn.

I ordered the 1.1oz Silpoly PU4000 kit, already have a full tube of seam grip, downloaded the xtrekker curve generator, the PDF instructions for sewing this bad boy. Plus I have zing-it, shock cord, microbiners and some other miscellaneous things if I need them. I'm wondering if it would be worth while to sew grosgrain down the ridgeline as i've seen on some other premade tarps as well, and I will almost certainly sew in the optional tie outs.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

(ps.: I'm currently working on making a DIY UQ out of an old sleeping bag that i'll post pictures of soon.)
    Here is a link to my Silpoly tarp. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lPoly-DIY-Tarp
    Some things I would do again:
    1. Flat felled seam on rigde. No need for grossgrain the felled seam is strong and easy enough to do.
    2. Add the side pullouts. I glued mine with the Permatex. No need to sew; fewer holes and less pain than trying to sew something in the middle of a large tarp.
    3. Use just the Silpoly on the pullouts. Strong enough and lighter.

Some things I would do different now after using it for a while:
    1. Smaller cat cuts. The Silpoly does not stretch or take on water to the point that they are needed and if they are needed they do not need to be very big.
    2. Single piece snake skins. The double snake skins I made are sometimes a pain with the air-bubble in the middle.

The tarp is a easy project to do and a good one to start on. Have a large area to lay out your project. It is not required but it will make it much easier. Measure 3 or 4 times and cut once. A template is very helpful if you are making cat cuts. I also use miniature clothes pins to hold excess fabric in place and to avoid using pins. I don't us pins unless absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by rais'n hammock; 04-18-2016 at 18:37. Reason: Spelling
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Equip from Wal Mart
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    RBTR Cinch buckle
    Images
    I like Wonder Clips for hemming, instead of pins.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I like flat felled seams because they are simple, strong and easy to do (I actually do a felled French seam; it is easier to do with the really slippery material). I have made 2 tarps without cat cuts and have not missed them. I reinforced the ridgeline pull outs with some urethane coated material (already had it on hand) and reinforced the corner pull outs with 1" grograin pieces. It has stood up to some pretty fierce wind and heavy snow. I only put 1 panel pull on each side for the last tarp I made. This has worked well for me. Making and using your own DIY gear is pretty satisfying!

Quote Originally Posted by jwygralak67 View Post
    I like Wonder Clips for hemming, instead of pins.
    Hey! Great idea, and no holes in the fabric! Thanks for the tip.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Suspension
    Webs
    I plan on going the flat felled/French seam suggested in the instructions, the grosgrain ribbon for the ridge would just be a little extra. I like the idea of using the Silpoly pull out. I mostly just like the look of the cat cuts really

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Suspension
    Webs
    Yeah those wonder clips look dope

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast