Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    I have both a 55" and a 50" TQ. I am quite broad across the chest and shoulders.

I have found that 55" feels like too much in my hammock. It is a bit annoying to deal with the extra fabric, try to tuck it all in and what not. 50" feels fantastic, and gives enough for good seal in conjunction with the underquilt. Now, if I were in colder weather, moved in my hammock more, etc. it might be that I would prefer the 55".

I guess another thing to consider is the type of hammock you use. I use a Hexon1.0 and weight ~195, so the fabric has a bit of stretch and comes up around me a bit. If you weigh 150 and use 2-layer Hexon2.4, it may be that your UQ won't provide the same coverage.

When it comes to ground-sleeping, there is no way I would go any narrower than about 54". A pad doesn't come up around the side of your body to help insulate the way an UQ does. I have used my 50" quilt a couple times, but it was in very warm weather and I used it with my UL bivy, which helps cut out drafts.

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyiguana View Post
    Hey RecReator,

Can you give us some info on why the 48" is easier to tuck around than the wide Burrow?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have found the excessive material on the wide TQ makes it hard to get a tight seal around my shoulders unless I snap, and cinch the head end down, which works well when it is on the colder side of the quilt temp. rating, but unnecessary when it's warmer. For me, the narrower TQ works just as good without the fiddle factor.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by RecReator View Post
    I have found the excessive material on the wide TQ makes it hard to get a tight seal around my shoulders unless I snap, and cinch the head end down...
    Interesting. Since I prefer wide top quilts, one of the reasons Ilike them is that at the top -- with or without a channel to cinch -- I rcan reach under my arm, grab a top corner, and pull it snugly around my shoulder and under my shoulder blade; when I perform the same action on the opposite side, I get a nice tight seal across the top of my wide quilt.

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by RecReator View Post
    I have found the excessive material on the wide TQ makes it hard to get a tight seal around my shoulders unless I snap, and cinch the head end down, which works well when it is on the colder side of the quilt temp. rating, but unnecessary when it's warmer. For me, the narrower TQ works just as good without the fiddle factor.
    On a side note, I really like my wide HG Borrow and it works well, this was just a personal observation between the two different width quilts.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    My standard width Burrow arrived last week and I finally had a chance to compare it with my wide Burrow's.

Verdict: I prefer the standard 50" width. There is still plenty of quilt to tuck around your sides and still have room to move around. I change positions frequently when I sleep and experienced no issues with the 50" width. I'm pleased that now I've been able to sleep in both sizes and learn for myself which one I truly prefer. All my hammock TQ's will now be 50" wide. Thanks for listening to my tale.

Btw for reference: I'm 6'2" 225#

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 END MODS
    Insulation
    Lynx /FlightJacket
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Ican reach under my arm, grab a top corner, and pull it snugly around my shoulder and under my shoulder blade; when I perform the same action on the opposite side, I get a nice tight seal across the top of my wide quilt.

I enjoy the extra wide part of my top cover, too, for all those reasons, and one more: in the Warbonnet Ridgerunner, I often 'knee up' on one side of that stiff Grosgrain, in order to side sleep. The additional width of top quilt material CUSHIONS my leg from getting grosgrain imprints, there.
    Quite comfortable.

"Mahwedge...
    A bwessed awangement...
    A dweam within a dweam..."

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a wide version because I'm a side hammock sleeper and sleep on the ground occasionally. It's great.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I really was pleased to find out that the standard width is more than adequate for my side-sleeping hammock style.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Just purchased a long wide 0 w/4oz overstuff
    Now the wait begins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The few extra ounces are absolutely worth getting a wide in my opinion. Not everyone is skinny and comfortable in a regular width. I have a 50" chest and therefore prefer a 55" TQ. Agree with Brutal on this one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast