Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I bot my feathers at HG because they offer short and wide.If the little bit of extra weight is an issue,just take two oz. out of your food or water bag.I must admit I enjoyed having a little extra width to tuck under as it makes for better rest.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Interesting, this is strictly a matter of personal taste. My experience as a Rubinsque shape lady is the wider TQ is no needed when Hanging. I move a lot in my sleep, on the ground lots of over hang is helpful in being comfortable for me. A 6in. Draft ruffle is mandatory on my quilts. Hanging the wide quilt is more in the way. The hammock covers my back or body part touching the hammock is kept warm by the UQ. The TQ just needs to cover the area unprotected by the UQ with allowance for movement. The idea is to warm and keep warm a functional warm bubble.
    My first TQ was too wide, not as functional as it could have been. Next quilt, less was mor efficient warmth for Hanging.

The nature of down especially high grade down is to gently fall or drape over a person to seal out cold air. The down drapes over us, any sort of fabric flap seals little air leaks stoping drafts. I just use a flap, nothing special, just a couple of grams.

Synthetic quilts are very different, I would use a wider quilt, because they do not drape over the same way down quilts form.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 10-21-2016 at 10:36.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I like freedom and range of motion in my top quilts. (All of mine are wide enough, but I don't think I've ever slept under one that was too wide...) Especially if you have long femurs, broad shoulders, some torso girth, or big feet, I'd recommend getting the wide model and bite the bullet on (approximately) 10% extra weight. I consider 55" width a comfortable minimum for anyone my size (6'2", 175"), and I prefer widths of 58" to 60" on quilts where such sizes are available.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    I have a wide and long burrow. I am torn on the value of the two options.

Sometimes i like the wide as I can really wrap it around my body. I am a big guy with really broad shoulders and it comes in handy sometimes on those cold nights when my UQ might slip off or not be adjusted correctly. Other times inside the hammock it just feels like too much unused material. I find myself wishing I had gotten the standard sometimes.

For the most part I wish I had gotten the reg vs the tall size. I am 6'2" which is why i went tall and the coverage is great. But in the hammock I am more like 5'8" and while its really nice on a winter morning to be able to pull the whole quilt over my head and cocoon myself, 90% of the time (any season but winter) its REALLY long and a ton of material/bulk to manage in the hammock. YMMV
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I have a long wide Burrow, but the weight/bulk isn't much more because it is a Burrow 50 so it is pretty light and packs nice and small. I like the extra length and width (I'm just under 6ft) as I prefer spare material to not having enough, I can move about overnight with no problems.

I will be buying a HG Burrow for my first top quilt - this thread helped me decide on getting the wide. I'm 5'7" and 250 lbs. I have a 50" chest from the good old days of lifting. Funny how that muscle turns into a spare tire when you discover mildly alcoholic adult beverages. Hmm...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Traveler xl
    Tarp
    DIY membrane 4000
    Insulation
    Bandit, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I'm 6'6" 230# and have a wide Burrow and a JRB Shenandoah which is 48" wide. The 48" width is much easier to tuck around me than the wide Burrow, yet is still plenty wide for hammock use.

Quote Originally Posted by RecReator View Post
    I'm 6'6" 230# and have a wide Burrow and a JRB Shenandoah which is 48" wide. The 48" width is much easier to tuck around me than the wide Burrow, yet is still plenty wide for hammock use.
    Hey RecReator,

Can you give us some info on why the 48" is easier to tuck around than the wide Burrow?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Interesting, this is strictly a matter of personal taste. My experience as a Rubinsque shape lady is the wider TQ is no needed when Hanging. I move a lot in my sleep, on the ground lots of over hang is helpful in being comfortable for me. A 6in. Draft ruffle is mandatory on my quilts. Hanging the wide quilt is more in the way. The hammock covers my back or body part touching the hammock is kept warm by the UQ. The TQ just needs to cover the area unprotected by the UQ with allowance for movement. The idea is to warm and keep warm a functional warm bubble.
    My first TQ was too wide, not as functional as it could have been. Next quilt, less was mor efficient warmth for Hanging.
    I agree. I like some extra quilt to tuck under my torso and butt, but even the standard seems excessive. I thought about going the other direction and having them make a narrower quilt, but I've been experimenting enough with quilts lately and don't want to lose any more money buying and selling stuff!

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    5'4", <150, not too big around. Our tq's are 50x70 which is perfect for us in the hammocks, but haven't tried them on the ground (and don't intend to). Plenty to wrap around shoulders and neck, but not so much to feel excessive. Occasionally I do sleep on my side, not usually for long though, and I have not wanted for more width.

We keep our thermostats at 60* all winter and find that our cdt tq's are great for sitting in a recliner watching the tube. Again, more than wide enough but not too much. Not sure if that would equate to being on the ground though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast