Dutch 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    Yukon MG Rainfly
    Insulation
    30 Burrow, KAQ NR
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Thunderbird Questions

So Dream hammocks are awesome and I want one. But I'm having a hard time narrowing down my options for the Thunderbird. I would love for it to replace my Dutchware with separate bugnet as my primary camping hammock, and love the overcover feature to help me go down to lower temps. My current setup is a Dutchware 1.6 Hexon with a YO Bugnet, KAQ New River 3S, and a HG Burrow 30. My weight for just my hammock and bug net is 21.2 oz.

1) My biggest decision is DL or SL?? Mostly because DL looks so sweet in all the pictures! I'm 6 foot 200 lbs, so weight isn't an issue. But even with 1.0 oz DL fabric, it's much heavier than my current setup... Can someone convince me that looks aren't worth all that weight?

2) How does the 1.6 HyperD (which is what I would get if going SL) material compare to 1.6 Hexon in terms of comfort and softness?

3) How well do the UQ hooks line up with the KAQ New River? There's 3 to a side. I assume it's pretty standard, but just wanted to make sure. Also, I've never laid in an asym hammock, but I would assume the UQ hooks help greatly in keeping it secure.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DH T-Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I got a TBird and love it. Double layer, I am 6'4 240 lbs so I got the 72" wide and 11' long. I got the double layer for stiffness and it sleeps great!

As far as the under quilt hooks I can only comment on how it works with my HG. It lines up perfectly with the suspension and once it is set up you are ready to roll and it keeps it nice and snug.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    I have an 11' single layer Thunderbird with 1.6 HyperD, I love this hammock although it is a little heavy compared to some others. Mine comes in at 26.1oz with the bugnet and no overcover, although that does include my suspension which is probably about 12' of webbing on each end and Ti cinch buckles and Ti Dutch clips. The 1.6 HyperD is a great fabric strong yet nice against the skin. This will most likely become my winter hammock as I have a Darien 1.0oz Robic XL hammock that just shipped which weighs 12.6oz without suspension!

Hammock
    DH T-bird
    Tarp
    MWG Monsterfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeplin,Flight
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hello,
    I Have the T-Bird. The T-Bird works so well for me, it has easily out performed my Blackbird XLC. Mine is an 11' double layer with HyperD-XL 72" wide fabric. At 6'6" and 260lbs. the weight of the hammock was not important to me. The T-Bird sleeps great. I also purchased the over-cover and bug net in both right and left lay (more sleeping options). I have an UGQ under-quilt with the Dream Hammock Mod. If you already have an under-quilt I would recommend seeing if this mod can be applied to it. The mod holds the under-quilt in place while you sleep. no matter if you toss and turn during the night or not. More importantly, CUSTOMER SERVICE! Dream Hammocks customer service is quite literally second to none. I can not say enough about the company and product. If you would like to see it my order no. is 2839 go to there web-site and look in the recent photos.

Alaskan Hanger

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthmingi92 View Post
    So Dream hammocks are awesome and I want one. But I'm having a hard time narrowing down my options for the Thunderbird. I would love for it to replace my Dutchware with separate bugnet as my primary camping hammock, and love the overcover feature to help me go down to lower temps. My current setup is a Dutchware 1.6 Hexon with a YO Bugnet, KAQ New River 3S, and a HG Burrow 30. My weight for just my hammock and bug net is 21.2 oz.

1) My biggest decision is DL or SL?? Mostly because DL looks so sweet in all the pictures! I'm 6 foot 200 lbs, so weight isn't an issue. But even with 1.0 oz DL fabric, it's much heavier than my current setup... Can someone convince me that looks aren't worth all that weight?

2) How does the 1.6 HyperD (which is what I would get if going SL) material compare to 1.6 Hexon in terms of comfort and softness?

3) How well do the UQ hooks line up with the KAQ New River? There's 3 to a side. I assume it's pretty standard, but just wanted to make sure. Also, I've never laid in an asym hammock, but I would assume the UQ hooks help greatly in keeping it secure.

Thanks!
    Well. I have 1 DL Tbird, 2 SL tbirds, and 2 SL sparrows so i hope i can answer your questions.

1) With the strength of the new fabrics available, the are only 2 reasons now to go for a DL hammock. First is if you are using a pad for bottom insulation. Second, is if you are doing it for aesthetics, ie, you want a contrasting inner layer to your outer layer. If neither of those apply, I would strongly recommend a single layer of 1.0 oz Robic. Very strong and lightweight to boot. it doesn't feel as good on the skin as the 1.6 Hyper D, but it isnt far off and is much more durable.

2) 1.6 Hyper D feels really nice to the touch. While the 1.0 Hexon from Dutch is silky smooth (but stretchy), 1.6 Hexon isn't as good as the 1.6 Hyper D. To me, the HyperD is a little smoother feeling.

3) Can't comment on the KAQ quilts too much personally. The UQ hooks SHOULD work to lift up the UQ suspension (in a similar manner to "triangle thingies). Now the pack hook which can work in conjunction to hold a quilt on your shoulder (like the UGQ Dream Hammock mod) probably wont function that way without some modding.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthmingi92 View Post

Thanks!
    on my Dangerbird the KAQ New River long 30* works just fine using the front 2 and rear 2 pack hooks lifts UQ with no shifting
    look for the reflector left and right this will give you an idea

image.jpeg

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    HyperD is a bit more stretchy/ less supportive than hexon 1.6, which is neither good nor bad. They are both extremely soft, however, they are different types of soft. HyperD is a very silky type soft, whereas Hexon is cotton soft. Both are very comfortable, I tend to lean toward Hexon because of a bit less stretch, and a i prefer the cotton-like less-plasticky to the silk feel, however it is wonderful too.. Really depends more on what you would prefer stretch wise IMO. hexon 1.6 is rated (comfort rating) to 350 lbs, HyperD 1.6 to about 275-285 (comfort rating). One is most definitely not "better" than the other, and sadly, the only true way to know what works best for you is to try both. Since you have Hexon now... Do you feel that you would like more stretch? If you do, check out the HyperD. If not, stick with the Hexon, but probably still get a hyperd hammock because hammocks are addictive and fun.
    Last edited by Intimidator; 04-20-2016 at 00:18.

Hammock
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by humer91 View Post
    I would strongly recommend a single layer of 1.0 oz Robic. Very strong and lightweight to boot. it doesn't feel as good on the skin as the 1.6 Hyper D, but it isnt far off and is much more durable..
    For someone like me at 5'9" and 137lbs would the stretch difference between the two fabrics be negligible? While young, ive got a bad back and have read less stretchy fabrics tend to offer better back support. Disclaimer: I'm brand new to hammocking. Looking at getting a SL sparrow in either 1.6 hyper d or the 1.0 robic. Thanks for any help!

• + New Posts