Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Looking for a overnight suggestions in the North GA, Southern TN area

I'm taking my youngish kids to Sipsey this weekend 16-17 but a few weekends after that some friends and I had planned a trip to Fiery Gizzard. It sounds like a good time except you can't camp at any halfway point through the park. It's a car camping spot at the north end and a few sites just in from the trail head at the other. We're looking for possible alternatives. We aren't adverse to some strenuous miles and elevations. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    South Cumberland State Park still has Savage Gulf, Stone Door, Hobbs Cabin and Greeter Falls. You could easily make a pretty long route connecting those sites and camp multiple nights.

Hammock
    AHE 11' DOUBLE
    Tarp
    AHE TOXAWAY
    Insulation
    AHE JR UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/WHOOP
    Big Frog Wilderness in TN.....look up Ocoee Ranger district and the Nat Geo map for that area....that area also backs up to Cohutta Wilderness in N Georgia....plenty of trails and places to camp...lots of campsites accessible by Forest Service roads..if you want to car camp/ hang and just day hike....

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Big frog sounds great but maybe a little far of a drive for an overnighter. I've eyed that area before and it's on my must go list.
    We're liking to see what kind of loop we can make with the other South Cumberland trails.
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Pinhoti has lots of road crossings to make an overnite section.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Walls of Jericho on TN/AL line might be worth looking into. Surprised to hear you say Savage Gulf doesn't have any campsites "halfway," though.

I think Citico Creek Wilderness might be more what you're looking for?
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    With regard to no "halfway" sites, I think he was talking specifically about fiery gizzard. Savage gulf has plenty. All of the hiking around the rim is pretty easy and the views and sites are pretty great. If you want some real hiking, just pick a route that goes down into the gorge. Just know that most of the "river" down in the gorge is not very accessible because it's buried below a lot of rock. There is still access to water though depending your route.

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    dakotaross- While I love the Pinhoti the people I'm going with have hiked it to death. They're somehow sick of it. I don't understand.

Rain Man- Yea I was referring to Fiery Gizzard, With Raven Point camp gone there's not a lot of mid point camping options.

dickstarbuck- Savage Gulf is definitely on the short list. Any suggestions for a good 16-20 mile loop or point to point? We'd prefer loop to keep us from having to take 2 vehicles but it's not a deal killer. Savage Gulf TH to Stone Door TH looks pretty good but I'm not familiar with what's along the way other than a few cabins. Any must see features?

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    You really can't go wrong. It just depends on what your looking for... All of the rim trails have good views and you should definitely make reservations for the sites in advance to get the good ones.

Savage falls campground has a bunch of sites but no view.

The north rim trail to Hobbs cabin has great views and is a pretty easy stroll.

Hobbs cabin is a pretty cool place to stop for lunch or the night.

Connector is quite a beast (I recommend going down it from Hobbs).

Although I've only hiked through the lower creek areas, I've been told that camping down there can sometimes be hit or miss based on the bugs and how damp some of the sites may be. This may not be a problem with hammocks.

Stone door is pretty cool and has some great views. Big creek rim trail is easy and alum gap campground has some really good sites with great views. Plus it's pretty close to greeter.

Greeter falls can't be missed ( bring swimming trunks) and don't forget to check out above the falls.

Like I said before, any trail named something gulf or connector is definitely a lot more tiring but I still recommend it. And ranger creek falls is worth the side trip.

Although I haven't stayed there (yet), I have on good authority that Collins west might have the best views from camp of the whole park.

Stage coach road is a pretty cool trail with a lot of history and south rim has good views.

I guess it depends on how many nights your doing. And how much time you want to spend in camp instead of hiking. Either way I don't think you could pick a bad route. You may even find that just doing the western half one trip and the eastern half on another trip is the best solution.
    Have fun.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Jeff,
    Check out Prentice Cooper State Forrest near Chattanooga. There's the Mullen's Cove loop ~ 12 miles along with the Pot point loop ~ 12 miles. There are some really nice views of the Tennessee River Gorge.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast