Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Blue Poly 8x10
    Insulation
    CCF pad, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Daisychains

I've been sleeping in a hammock for 1 week and sleep great except for my neck.

So I've been sleeping in a DIY bedsheet hammock, it's a bit short at about 5'5" but I'm only 5'3" so it works, the problem is I wake up with a stiff neck that's aching. Any ideas, I've used a small pillow and I've tried rolling up a down jacket but still not working. Need CHEAP ideas plz. Thnx in advance.

Hammock
    Eno/Yukon
    Tarp
    8x12
    Insulation
    Pad / Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Grand Trunk
    I have been indoor hammock sleeping for over 5 months now. I use a regular bed pillow with pillow case. But i have the pillow long ways. I am 5'5. Make sure your feet are not higher than your head. Some say your head needs to be pointed north, due to the electronic feed can mess with the electronics on your body. Trying to think of more. If i do, i will post. But someone else may catch what i miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Have you tried not using a pillow? I also pull the duvet up to the side of my head against the edge of the hammock (I've put a pillow on the other side of my head in the hammock too). When I first started sleeping in a hammock, I felt a pressure on my head, which put pressure on my neck. Using the above method alleviated the problem, and created a coziness that was perfectly positioned for when I turned on my side. Any sized pillow under my head just bothers my neck, so I just don't go there.

You might want to see if your laying diagonal is too big for your hammock. That could very well be a factor. i.e. lay at a smaller angle.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yes, Girlshangbetter, make a tablecloth hammock or get fabric from a vendor. Make your hammock 12 feet long by 6 feet wide and use a hammock ridgeline 83% of 144 inches. I think your hammock ridgeline will be 119 inches or almost 10 feet.
    Use a stiff non stretchy fabric for your hammock so you can move around easily and not sink into a stretched hole. All this is guessing and parroting on my part---but I reckon you will try to have pain free snooze. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY 2-layer
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Ive been sleeping full time in a hammock for two years. I use one of those horseshoe shaped neck pillows filled with small beads. The ones made of memory foam are too bulky. Good luck!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a real thin pillow. My hammock is 156"x90". Tablecloth hammock.

Keep at it. Adjusting here and there. Your hammock may be too soft causing you to sink in it a little.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlshangbetter View Post
    So I've been sleeping in a DIY bedsheet hammock, it's a bit short at about 5'5" but I'm only 5'3" so it works
    I'm not sure that I got this right: your hammock is only 5'5" long??? If this is the case, than that's your problem. Short hammocks suck. Even in an 8' hammock it's difficult to find a comfortable position. It's hard to lie diagonal - I can't imagine what it would be like with a 5'5" hammock... Most people here are using 11' hammocks - plus/minus a foot - even if they are smaller than you. I'm 5'4" and my DIY hammocks are usually 10.5' or 11'.

For a cheap solution, Tablecloth hammocks have already been mentioned. If you have basic sewing skills, you could also order 4 Yards of 1.9oz ripstop nylon from Ripstopbytheroll. You'll get a free roll of thread - so you are pretty much good to go. The 1.9oz ripstop is a really nice fabric and the price is right. I have used plenty of fancier fabrics, but the 1.9oz remains one of my favorites.

If you don't want to DIY, check out Dutch's basic hammocks: a single layer 2.4oz Hexon hammock without mods and suspension only costs $38 - and the sturdy fabric makes for a great everynight-use-at-home hammock. If you want to go hiking with it, pick a lighter fabric (if you can live with the stretch).

All your aches should go away once you switch to a longer hammock.

Wait your hammock is 2 inches longer than your total height? You may want to look into getting a longer hammock so you can get a diagonal lay, which will be flatter and help with neck pain. I'd say 9feet would be the minimum length a hammock for someone your size should be

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm 5'11"/200lbs and got severe neck pain from my 9.5' ENO. I switched to a Dutchware 11' and like magic, the neck pain went away. I guarantee you, a longer hammock will go a long way towards a comfy hang. That, and I picked up a "Cub" pillow from Arrow Head Equipment. My first impression was how tiny it is but it's proved to be the perfect size, and is just enough to support my neck so my chin doesn't dive into my clavicle. Works like a charm!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I don't use a pillow either. I use the same thing at home every night, that I use in the woods, a small fleece blanket folded or rolled up until it's just right. When I side sleep it needs to be a bit different, for me, folded in half again. I do that now automatically in pretty much the same motion it takes me to roll one way or the other, without waking up or thinking much about it.

I too think a longer/wider hammock might be in order as well.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast