Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images

Which Stand?

I'm looking for opinions on which hammock stand to get. I have multiple attachment points throughout the house for wall mounted options, unfortunately, they're not always sufficient. I'm looking for a moveable stand for mainly indoor hanging. Perhaps some minor use on my deck. It doesn't need to be packable, although it would be nice if it came apart so it's easy to move and reassemble throughout the house. Weight isn't really a problem.

I'd like to avoid the traditional DIY turtledog stand. If my kid is in it, she doesn't add enough force to keep it stable.

I've looked at the various options from byer, tato, the drifter stand, etc. Has anyone tried these various stands that can help me narrow it down?

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You could cobble something together pretty sturdy out of some fence rail and stuff from here: http://tarps.com/chrome2.htm

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have a TD and was looking for something a little more stable - you want to build this 'Super Simple' one. Note on post #33 they found a better pipe slide to use = "1 3/8 Open L One pipe slides through".
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...od-style-stand

This stand is easy to build, rock solid, works on carpet or wood floors, uneven ground, and doesn't blow over.
    You don't need to do the cutting/drilling in the post - just leave the legs 5'3" = 1/2 a chain link fence top rail that youget cut wherever you buy it.

So if you reuse your TD top rail, you need from Home Depo or Lowes:
    4 each '1 3/8 Open L One pipe slides through' http://tarps.com/fittings2.htm ($5 each plus about $15 shipping)
    2 each chain link fence top rails (cut in half) for the legs - You can reuse your TD top rail.
    1 pack (4 each but you only need 2) 1.125" rubber chair bumpers for the tapered end legs http://www.lowes.com/pd_37824-255-44...Ntt=chair+tips
    1 pack (2 each) 1 1/4" rubber chair bumpers for the not tapered end legs.

You don't need the chain and 'S' hooks at the bottom, just use any decent line w/ a slip knot and a zip tie (a little loose so it can rotate) for the leg spacers.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 04-12-2016 at 15:28.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have and use TD and the Hammeck Stand. I find the Hammeck stand to be very stable.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    I have a TD and was looking for something a little more stable - you want to build this 'Super Simple' one. Note on post #33 they found a better pipe slide to use = "1 3/8 Open L One pipe slides through".
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...od-style-stand

This stand is easy to build, rock solid, works on carpet or wood floors, uneven ground, and doesn't blow over.
    You don't need to do the cutting/drilling in the post - just leave the legs 5'3" = 1/2 a chain link fence top rail that youget cut wherever you buy it.

So if you reuse your TD top rail, you need from Home Depo or Lowes:
    4 each 1 3/8 Open L One pipe slides from tarps.com ($5 each plus about $15 shipping)
    2 each chain link fence top rails (cut in half) for the legs - You can reuse your TD top rail.
    1 pack (4 each but you only need 2) 1.125" rubber chair bumpers for the tapered end legs http://www.lowes.com/pd_37824-255-44...Ntt=chair+tips
    1 pack (2 each) 1 1/4" rubber chair bumpers for the not tapered end legs.

You don't need the chain and 'S' hooks at the bottom, just use any decent line w/ a slip knot and a zip tie (a little loose so it can rotate) for the leg spacers.
    Excellent information. I love a distilled proven plan of action. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I love using the Hammeck stand. It weighs a ton, but is very stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    I'm looking for opinions on which hammock stand to get. I have multiple attachment points throughout the house for wall mounted options, unfortunately, they're not always sufficient. I'm looking for a moveable stand for mainly indoor hanging. Perhaps some minor use on my deck. It doesn't need to be packable, although it would be nice if it came apart so it's easy to move and reassemble throughout the house. Weight isn't really a problem.

I'd like to avoid the traditional DIY turtledog stand. If my kid is in it, she doesn't add enough force to keep it stable.

I've looked at the various options from byer, tato, the drifter stand, etc. Has anyone tried these various stands that can help me narrow it down?
    I have the Hammeck stand, and it is outstanding.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I don't have experience with any of the stands that you mention in your post, but I have no complaints at all with my Hammeck Stand. It's very stable, well made, easy to assemble/disassemble, portable.
    Although I don't use it indoors, it gets a good deal of use on my deck and is convenient enough to load into a car/truck for camping outings where trees are lacking or hammocks cannot be hung.

Hammock
    Exped combi or K-mart special
    Tarp
    stock Exped
    Insulation
    puffer jackets
    Suspension
    python straps
    I have both the Hammeck stand and the Drifter. The Hammeck stand is extremely stable and I bought it after owning Drifter because it gives me a hammock experience much closer to hanging from trees. I have used both inside and have come to the conclusion that only a wall mounted option will work in my house unless I want to sell my furniture. It is surprising how much room a stand takes up when it is inside so consider your room size and the footprint of the stand. Maybe your house is a lot bigger than mine. Since you mention that you have multiple attachment points inside, maybe you will be better off adding a few more.

With the Drifter, it can fit into a narrower space, and it is definitely stable because you are basically inches from the ground in your hammock. Not good for people with bad knees. Unless you buy the extender, which I don't have, you will find it hard or impossible to use with longer hammocks. Kids might turn the whole stand into a giant rocking horse. Bought it originally to hang at the beach. Quality construction.

I am much more comfortable in my Hammeck stand since I can get the proper amount of sag and hang at a normal height. Quality construction and a much better all around stand.

Have no experience with the Byer stand. Have seen the Tato stand which is another quality stand, but have not gotten in one or in a traditional Turtledog stand so can't comment much on it as of yet.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    So glad to see this. I just posted the following in a thread asking for info about buying a hammock in Amazon and at the end he asked about stands:

I have a 15' (I think) Brazillian hammock on the older version of this Byers ADJUSTABLE stand. The arms adjust and the bottom (keel) also adjusts. At max extension, I still had to knot one end (I clipped a huge, plastic Night-Ize S-Biner so that (hopefully) the knot can be undone, if necessary. (A few years ago there were posts here from folk who had made extenders to attach a tarp.)
    I prefer this design of hanging hammock loop over the ones that have a screwed-in hook.

I paid about $100 eight or so years ago so $120 sounds ok. Shop around and see if u can get shipping included. Weighs ab 65 lbs. Quite a bit of rust but that doesn't bother me.
    Stand lives outside; hammock comes in

The advantage of this newer model is the knobs are on the side. Mine stick up and on stretchy hammocks I've had them sticking into my back/butt.

(If link doesn't work, Google Byers Ceara hammock stand)

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...8-adType%5EPLA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast