Big Daddy and Quilts

'ello!

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a TQ, 3/4 UQ, and a Big Daddy/Tadpole. Have quite a few kayaking/backpacking fishing trips planned out and decided to get off the ground finally.

I was just curious as to experiences with Big Daddy as the Tadpole seems to be the popular choice. I'm an absolute newb to tarp measurements for hammocking, but would the width of the tadpole permit emergency "cocooning" during windy sideways rain?

Lastly, does anyone know the rough placement for additional loop mods for Big Daddy? I'd likely pay the extra cash to have 'em done if they could be used to bring the "doors" in so to speak.

Thanks for all the great info, and i'm happy to be making purchases from the lot of great vendors on this site!

MY primary tarp has been a Big Daddy. Tons of coverage not overly heavy. Easy to set up. I also have a Tadpole and I feel the same about that little guy.

I have used both in high wind and rain situations. Both came through with flying colors. You don't "cocoon" as much as set that tarp low and get the sides as close to the ground as possible to prevent splash. If high winds are a concern the pull outs are what help the tarp hold shape. My Tadpole is bone stock and was last used in a storm with 45MPH wind gusts and heavy rain. No issues at all.

I have 2 loops, the additional loop is in the middle of the long edge of the tarp. You don't really get doors with it. You could talk to Marty and see if he would place those where you wanted, additionally Marty might have a recommendation for you based on what you want and your style of camping. You won't go wrong ordering either choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhemkb View Post
    MY primary tarp has been a Big Daddy. Tons of coverage not overly heavy. Easy to set up. I also have a Tadpole and I feel the same about that little guy.

I have used both in high wind and rain situations. Both came through with flying colors. You don't "cocoon" as much as set that tarp low and get the sides as close to the ground as possible to prevent splash. If high winds are a concern the pull outs are what help the tarp hold shape. My Tadpole is bone stock and was last used in a storm with 45MPH wind gusts and heavy rain. No issues at all.

I have 2 loops, the additional loop is in the middle of the long edge of the tarp. You don't really get doors with it. You could talk to Marty and see if he would place those where you wanted, additionally Marty might have a recommendation for you based on what you want and your style of camping. You won't go wrong ordering either choice.
    Appreciate the feedback, i ended up ordering it and some quilts. As you guessed, Marty was very quick to help. Glad to know I couldn't have chosen wrong. My other gear was intentionally light to budget for a tarp, as a tarp camper who is extremely happy to get off the ground.. it's nice to have a tarp that can serve multiple purposes. A few extra ounces well spent.

Excellent shipping speed, great quality, and toasty warm quilts! Loving the dark olive / yellow combo. Great sewing job as well. Should get some pics up of the new rig set up in full at the end of the month! Can't wait to get it field tested.

• + New Posts