Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH

Tarp preference for AT thru-hiker?

What sort of tarp did you use for hiking the AT? Did you use an asym, a hex or a 4 season w/ doors?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I didn't hike the entire AT, but I know of those who did, some first hand, some second, third, etc. hand. Just about every type, brand, size, etc. has been used. What I hear/see most is Hennessy Hammocks and the stock tarp. Seriously. The hammock weighs more, but the tarp doesn't. Its not what I would recommend, and I can't say my knowledge of those thru hikers using hammocks is the most contemporary.

The trend for a thru hiker is light, lighter, then completely minimalist. I have a great big tarp with doors that I love, but honestly, I've gone to a diamond tarp for short trips, overnighters. If you can afford cuben, then the weight penalty for a winter tarp with doors is minimal. Otherwise, IMO, the asym diamond tarp works just fine. But if you're asking, then I think the best advice is start with a tarp with doors. You won't use the doors for most of your trip - kinda like the SUV driven to work downtown everyday - but its got you covered for the unknown. Early and late in the season, you will appreciate the doors.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think the question of "best tarp for a thru-hike" is not particularly answerable. It's more a question of what you're comfortable with. I think Dutch thru-hiked with the Hennessy postage-stamp sized tarp back in 2004, but I don't know if he'd recommend that now. Personally, I'd be inclined to carry an HG Winter Palace. It's a 4-season tarp that is only 8.6 ounces (I hate getting wet).

If money is an issue, and weight isn't, then the Warbonnet Superfly (19 ounces) would be a good choice.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    This thru-hiker used a cuben fiber tarp with doors:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...king-Breakdown

And this one used a Tadpole:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTft2mLI0k

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    This thru-hiker used a cuben fiber tarp with doors:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...king-Breakdown

And this one used a Tadpole:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTft2mLI0k
    Thanks for the links! I came across those as well and was curious on other peoples thoughts.

I hadn't considered the minimal weight difference between the 4 door cuben fiber and the hex layout. Seems like getting the doors and just having them tucked away until they are needed is the safest route.

I am new to hammocks and just did a week long shake down hike flip flopping around Harper's Ferry. I have an incredible DIY hammock made by Floridahanger here on the site. He also made a 4 season tarp. Incredible.... I hiked roughly 48 miles in 6 days. I agree light and lighter but I also like to be comfortable. I have to perfect hanging my tarp but loved the full tarp and doors. Hangers are becoming more popular on the AT and were friendly and helpful. The tarp, hammock and quilts are all personal. I plan to hike with a fully loaded pack (water and food) under 27 pounds and can easily achieve that and still be comfortable.

Hike Your Own Hike (HYOH) is what I was always told on the trail. I am section hiking from Springer north for 8 weeks starting June 5. I may not be the fastest or go the furthest but my goal is to have fun and have the summer of my life.

I recently made up a 4 season tarp with doors. What a comfort difference in windy, wet conditions. Not sure why we call them Winter Tarps, I'm never leaving this thing at home! I'll not go back to those tiny tarps I'm trying to huddle underneath. Now I can unclip my hammock from my Dutch Hooks and have a virtual palace to cook, change clothes, etc in adverse conditions.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    I did quite a bit of section hiking last year, and saw quite a few different tarp setups. I saw thru-hikers with anything from an ENO tarp, to the HH stock tarp, to a blue walmart tarp (seriously!). I was using the Tadpole, and got a lot of questions about it, I think the Tadpole is great for most of the weather you encounter, but if you have the option, until May, I'd say carry the winter tarp with doors, in CF if you can swing it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Was wondering if someone could speak to the rain coverage they get from a rectangular Asym tarp? I have one and have used it but haven't used it in rain yet.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Tarp preference for AT thru-hiker?

I'm out west and don't see the rain like you guys have on the AT. But I hear we have more open views and wind can be a consideration when a storm does blow through.

I have a Zpacks asym diamond which is fine if no wind. I also have a superfly that I would bring if expecting weather. This Xmas I treated myself to the HG cuben standard with doors. Not sure I'll backpack with any other tarp now. It's only slightly heavier than the asym and doesn't have a ridge line seam.

I should've listened to silvrsrfr when I was starting out.

I'll keep the others for car camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast