Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    UCR+Treestraps

Choosing a Zero Degree UQ (Mt Washington 4 v Habanero v ?)

Hangers,

I have landed on moving up to a UQ. Seems clearly the way to go as I'm totally hooked on the hammock camping.
    I don't know anyone that owns a UQ personally and have never even seen one. Which is making the process of purchasing one online difficult.

The first UQ I was looking at was the Mt. Washington 4; looks great but is quite a bit more than the others. I can't tell why exactly from the pictures and my lack of experience
    The second UQ that caught my eye was Habanero, configured this comes in almost $80 cheaper than the currently on sale Mt Washington.

Any suggestions on how to choose? Given I plan to use it for a long time, I have no problem saving longer if one is preferable.
    Anyone have both of these or experience with them and can speak to their differences?

Thank you very much for your time.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I don't have these two exact UQs, but I have a Mt Washington 3 season (20*) and a Loco Libre 0* Long Hot. It looks like George has changed his down UQ selection recently; when I ordered at the end of last year the Long Hot was the full length UQ option and the Habanero was the 3/4 option. Now you can order the Habanero in whatever length you want, by 1 inch increments. That's important as you'll want to compare the price of the Mt Washington with the Habanero that's the same length.

Both are great quilts, so you can't really go wrong. That being said, here's what I like about each:

Mt Washington - The shipping was very fast. I think I got the shipping confirmation just a few hours after putting in my order. The tradeoff for the quick turnaround is that they only offer one color selection, forest green on black. I happen to really like that color scheme, so it worked out great for me. The suspension is very easy to work with, and can detach completely from the UQ. (The Jacks designed it so the UQ suspension can be used for quite a few different things - see the usage tips as http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/und...tab-usage-tips.) The stuff sack is awesome, is very durable, and works well to compress the quilt into a very tiny footprint. The drawstrings on the two ends are a nice touch; I appreciate that they are not made of shock cord. I've taken the this 20* quilt down to around 15*, so expect that the 0* will definitely work at that temperature. The JRB quilts don't come with a storage sack, just a compression sack. The MW3 has turned into my indoor hanging quilt that says on my cotton Brazilian hammock most of the year.

Loco Libre - The colors! The customizability! (The seven week wait time!) The diagonal baffles are a really cool feature, and I love the draft collars. Let me say that again--I love the draft collars. That, more than nearly any other feature, makes this a great UQ. The suspension is more complicated than the MW, but it gives you more ways to adjust as well. There is a primary suspension and a secondary suspension, so you can adjust with a great deal of accuracy to seal any cracks, but you'll probably need an assistant to get it dialed in. (I know I did.) The stuff sack is nice, but the storage sack it comes with is awesome. It's a large cotton storage sack with the stuff sack attached. I store the quilt in the cotton storage sack, so it's uncompressed, and always know where the stuff sack is when it's time to head out on a trip. That's a small thing, but something I really appreciate.

If I can, also let me pitch the UGQ Zeppelin. I have a 0* Zeppelin that is my go-to camping UQ. It has draft collars like the Loco Libre quilts, and a suspension that is incredibly easy to set up. It has a primary and secondary suspension like the LL quilts, but for me the UGQ suspension was much easier to dial in. (I ended up ordering an extra suspension for the DIY down UQ I made. I know that's a lot of quilts, but we have a big family that are all hangers now!) UGQ quilts also come with both a stuff sack and a very nice storage sack. I ordered extra storage sacks from them for my JRB quilts. They have a 3-4 week wait on custom orders.

You'll love any of these UQs, and the service I've had from all three shops has been first rate. Response time to questions was very fast and the quality of the builds was amazing. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I suggest figuring out what your priority is (turnaround time, size, a specific feature, etc.) then contacting the shop before you order. They'll be able to answer any of your questions.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    UCR+Treestraps
    Spime -- thank you very much, I appreciate the detailed response; very helpful

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    UGQ///Period!!

Hammock
    Eno doublenest with whoopie upgrade
    Tarp
    PROFLY XL
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    Atlas Chroma x2
    I'm in the market too and almost pulled the trigger on a Habanero 0 but thought to check around and the Zeppelin is seeming to be all that and more, for less.
    "Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God"- Benjamin Franklin
    "The nine millimeter is for killing europeans, for truely dangerous people you need a .45." Col. Jeff Cooper"
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

• + New Posts