Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

Hennessy Explorer Asym Bottom Enter~~ any good tips and tricks?

I just picked up one of these on sale the other day, and it's due to be delivered today. I've never used a Hennessy, but the value seemed so great, that I couldn't pass it by. I needed something to help get my girlfriend up off the ground to see if she enjoys our hobby. Getting a full rig at a fair price looked like a good way to go.

Since there are about 50+ threads here on the Hennessey page, and I don't have the time to read every thread, I thought I'd ask if anybody has any super-duper tips and tricks [most specifically for the bottom entry] that could help get us off to a good start.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just a couple. Hang the foot end at least 5-6 inches above the head end to make sure that you're not sliding. The super shelter is a great value, but underquilt a work too. The bottom entry is much better than zip hammocks for bugs. 2qzq can do a mod to add zippers if you want them later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    If you are going to continue to use the HH stock tarp, 2QZQ Mod 4 and UQP is the way to go. I found the UQP is the way to go for just a bit of warmth and to make site selection not quite so important on windy/rainy hangs.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Yeah... Since this definitely falls in the range of a [relatively cheap, but nonetheless] spree purchase just to get the lady off the ground, I certainly don't intend to spend anymore money on upgrades like the zip-fix than I have to.
    The lady's 65 yrs-young, has been in my life for 45 years, and I can state with absolute confidence that we will not be going out in massively inclement weather. I figured the Expedition's bottom entry would be easier for her on the in-and-out, and she's only 5'4", so the length should be good for her as well.
    I'm just wicked proud of her for being willing to take the adventure in the first place.

Capt C- thx for the higher foot end recommendation... That's just the kind of thing I need to know.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Yeah... Since this definitely falls in the range of a [relatively cheap, but nonetheless] spree purchase just to get the lady off the ground, I certainly don't intend to spend anymore money on upgrades like the zip-fix than I have to.
    The lady's 65 yrs-young, has been in my life for 45 years, and I can state with absolute confidence that we will not be going out in massively inclement weather. I figured the Expedition's bottom entry would be easier for her on the in-and-out, and she's only 5'4", so the length should be good for her as well.
    I'm just wicked proud of her for being willing to take the adventure in the first place.

Capt C- thx for the higher foot end recommendation... That's just the kind of thing I need to know.
    You're welcome. You might want to think about under-insulation. Pad? Underquilt? You might want to do a thin apex or climashield DIY underquilt just to make sure that the love of your life doesn't freeze her poor butt off overnight and kill any future adventures, especially considering where you live. Using a pad works, but does require a little bit of gymnastic talents.

Another option might be a no-sew poncho liner underquilt or similar, just to avoid having to struggle with under-insulation within the hammock itself.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    My wife started with the same hammock which we did have the zipper mod completed on eventually. One of the biggest reasons was she would get her hair caught on the Velcro. So make sure she can put her hair up or wear a hat if her hair is much past shoulder length. Pads were a pain with the bottom entry as well but doable. If using an inflatable it makes a world of difference to only inflate it half way or less. And it was tough to maneuver into a sleeping bag in there so using it TQ style and something plenty warm underneath is a must, I had good luck doing a thermarest and CFF Tshape before my first underquilt

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Faqz~~ she's got short hair, so that's moot... / most of her camping will be fair-weather and in Carolina / I've got TQ covered... under-insul is up-in-the-air / she gets up to pee a couple times every night and she's got short legs, so I don't really want her struggling with both getting her feet out of the entry slot and maneuvering a UQ out of the way

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Grundelore View Post
    Faqz~~ she's got short hair, so that's moot... / most of her camping will be fair-weather and in Carolina / I've got TQ covered... under-insul is up-in-the-air / she gets up to pee a couple times every night and she's got short legs, so I don't really want her struggling with both getting her feet out of the entry slot and maneuvering a UQ out of the way
    Well, I am almost her age with some mobility issues and I too am up/down a couple of times per night. I tried a pad...PITA to get in/out/situated correctly in the middle of the night. I don't recommend it.

I then tried a PLUQ which was better but still not great as no matter what I was told would not snap back into place. Even with Dutch quilt hooks installed it kept wanting to move around. I finally sewed a couple of loops on it that matched up with the HH loops and that along with the hooks would keep it in place on the sides but did nothing for it snapping into place after I got in/out. After a few trips with fighting through the bottom entry to get the PLUQ back into place, it stopped using it.

The only thing that has worked for me has been Jacks or Better - The Nest. Because the Velcro matches up with the Velcro on the HH there is no fighting to get it back into place in the middle of the night. Yeah, I know that is not what you want to hear but it is what worked for me
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I'm in your age bracket too and use a bottom entry HH (for over 10 years).

What works for summer camping:
    Permatheum treated hammock bottom to keep the bugs off and a sleeping bag (step into the SB while standing in the entry hole then just sit/lay back).
    If night time lows cause a chill on the bottom, I used 30" X 36" pad placed above the entry slit for years with great success - there may be some condensation so just wrap the pad in a flannel sheet prior to putting it in. Seems awkward at first but after two or three learning curve events it is simple and solid.
    If you don't mind spending $100, the HH super shelter is rock solid and fits like a glove. I have about 30 nights using one and wish I had bought one earlier vs using my Jarbridge 3/4 UQ or the pad.
    If you want to spend more than $200 - cottage venders make UQs for bottom entry HHs but watch their videos to see if you want that because they have you moving the UQ off to the side vs a built in slit like the HH SS.

For ease of use - don't use a standard UQP or UQ. They work but make getting out at night a pain in the tush - I have these but never happy using the.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    oldpappy~~ I think you may have the jackpot for me.
    We get all up in our pursuit of the latest/greatest/bestest/mostest... how obvious that the bottom entry would work fine with an ordinary sleeping bag that otherwise is such a PITA in a regular hammock.

Getting feedback like this is why I am so avid about our board here!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast