Dutchware 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    One of these days, I'd like to do a true tent vs hammock comparison video... Just to have it out there competing with the ones that do an imbalanced comparison... Hard because I don't own a comparable tent anymore, and ideally, it should be done with several current offerings of each use: a summer/UL kit, 3-season kit, and 4-season kit

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Trip from sailing and such did a pretty fair comparison. Might not hit on points but I think he did a good job of being unbiased.

https://youtu.be/pGsVlwkQcvU

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brswan View Post
    Trip from sailing and such did a pretty fair comparison. Might not hit on points but I think he did a good job of being unbiased.

https://youtu.be/pGsVlwkQcvU
    I think in the summer, someone who usually sleeps in a tent can sleep on the ground without it, so the argument about being hot in a tent doesn't really apply. Plus you can sleep this way in so many places where there are no trees.
    Now, if he would be concerned about dew or rain, he would need a tarp, and find himself in the same situation as the hammocker : looking for trees. Although he could use a tarp with his trekking poles, or even bushes or smaller trees, where a hammock wouldn't be an option, so a plus on the ground dweller's side, here again, as far as spot configuration is concerned.

I am now thinking of getting a really minimalist hammock that I could take with me anyway and alternate if needed.

But, as far as I am concerned, tents in the summer are a no-go. At best, a mesh tent, if you reckon you will be in a place without trees and many mosquitoes. Then I would put the tarp on top. DSC_0739.jpgP1030774.jpgP1030769.jpg

Hammockers shouldn't be afraid to go to ground. There are not as many bugs as one imagines there, and it is not that dirty, just grass and rocks that our forefathers always knew since they've been living on this planet.

Sometimes you just can't get your ideal spot with a hammock.

DSC_1591.jpg
    Last edited by Rouskof; 03-18-2017 at 15:17.

Hammock
    Dutch 1/2 wit 1.0 hexon
    Tarp
    Bear Paw cuben
    Insulation
    JRB HSS/MW4
    Suspension
    kevlar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouskof View Post

Hammockers shouldn't be afraid to go to ground. There are not as many bugs as one imagines there, and it is not that dirty, just grass and rocks that our forefathers always knew since they've been living on this planet.

Sometimes you just can't get your ideal spot with a hammock.
    Whoa Whoa Whoa. You are in the middle of the hammock frat house here... are you sure you want to say this? Ha

Here's a multi-post series on different backpacking shelter systems. http://andrewskurka.com/2016/buyers-...-bivy-systems/

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by candleman View Post
    Whoa Whoa Whoa. You are in the middle of the hammock frat house here... are you sure you want to say this? Ha

Here's a multi-post series on different backpacking shelter systems. http://andrewskurka.com/2016/buyers-...-bivy-systems/
    Just because I am a friar in disguise, I can better undermine the community, hehe. In fact I was sent by the tent campers' frat house with this specific mission. So I just pretended having a BBXLC, and here we go !

Hmm... your expert didn't list my shelter, which is freestanding bugnet + tarp

And why punishing yourself in a confined bivy under a huge tarp just because of the mosquitoes ? hang a bugnet underside your tarp, and stay at ease !

DSC_0981.jpg DSC_0979.jpg

But really the best way to go most of the time, if you are not in an area infested with mosquites or other insects and if there are no trees to hang a hammock is just a tarp and two light poles, imho, without all these cumbersome accessories. Or even no tarp at all actually, if the weather is fine and there is no dew, just a ground cloth, and even this is often a luxury. The least, the better ! The bivy could be a good idea in a treeless environement, if you want to save weight compared to the freestanding bugnet + tarp, never tried it ! I would just hope the rain wouldn't last the whole day ! I think I would still prefer to carry one or two poles and a tarp, with an optional bugnet if I think I might need it at some point.

Of course, it all depends on what will prevail in the area where you are going. This summer I am planning a trip to Ireland, where there are virtually no trees and a lot of rain, and I will probablyl opt for the tent.

Interesting article, anyway.
    Last edited by Rouskof; 03-23-2017 at 15:25.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    So I'm planning a backpacking trip to Catalina Island in June. We're forced to stay in campgrounds/campsites and the likelihood of trees is questionable. That being said, I totally want a hammock along. The question of bugs weighs on me a little, but hopefully I will get reliable advice before the trip.

If bugs are likely, I will bring my Hammock Netty and Hammock Gear standard tarp with doors. I always have hiking poles anyway, so if there's no trees, signposts or other opportunities to hang I will essentially have a bug bivy and said tarp. If I'm convinced that mosquitos will not be a problem, I guess I could bring my Dutch netless hammock, but for a few ounces I'll probably bring the Netty.

Depending on temps, I might forgo the underquilt, since I'll probably want a pad just in case. I can use it in the hammock if necessary - I'll be happier to do that versus sleeping on the ground.

So to the friar from France, you should add a nylon gathered-end ground cloth to your bug net, they are often sold as BBXLCs I see lots of trees in those photos.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    So I'm planning a backpacking trip to Catalina Island in June. We're forced to stay in campgrounds/campsites and the likelihood of trees is questionable.
    Just a reminder...while you're there take photos of all the sites you can so you know for next time. And be courteous by asking any campers there for permission before doing so. If your memory is like mine, it's nice to have the details for any future trips. I usually do a thumbs up/down in the photo depending on the tree situation

I'm going on a kayaking trip in June and photos from my previous trip 2 years ago were a total life saver.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When investigating a kayak/hammock trip to Ross Lake in WA, I discovered the park information included photos of each camp ground along the perimeter of the lake and islands. It gave a mixed feeling. 1) I has happy to know there would be available trees. 2) I was a little unhappy because it seemed like too much information. Like now that I've see most of it, via Google Earth and detailed camp site photos - why go.

But there is more to it. I'm kind of adversed to Man/Woman (for political correctness) made lakes. And it turns out they drain it every fall and refill it every spring. I mean there is so much "hand of man" going on ... and it is just a lake; a "manufactured" lake at that. If I lived in WA, I'd probably check it out. But from the distance I'd be traveling, I'd rather go to the ocean around Vancouver Island.

Yes, the above is a little astray of hammock vs tent. But I was just thinking of photos of campsites. Sure, if I took them myself, it's part of history. And I do enjoy seeing the "This is my hammock site" photos. So it must the artificialness of Ross Lake that makes it less appealing to me.

When hiking, here in the NW, I'm only concerned about "no trees" if I'm above 8,000 ft.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314