Camping in Ouachita National Forest

Hello!!

My name is Robert Wagner and I moved from Southeast Georgia to the Dallas area. I did a lot of camping/backpacking in mountains of western North Carolina while living in Georgia and I am looking for similar areas within 5 or 6 hours of Dallas. I am interested in trying out the Ouachita National Forest this summer - early June. Could y'all give some suggestions on places to go? Ideally, I would hike a couple of miles in and set up camp near some water and then explore from there. I would be with my 12 year old son and our yellow lab.

Thanks for the help!!

Robert

Unfortunately the Ouachita Trail is not know for water. That being said there is water to be had. I've camped near Flatside Pinnacle and there are several good trails. Tim Ernst writes several good books. I'd check out his Waterfall series and Arkansas Treasures.

If you want more of a challenge, check out the Eagle Rock Loop trail. Albert Pike is closed to overnight camping since the deadly flood in 2011, but there are plenty of other places to overnight. As a bonus, the Missouri River flows along much of the trail so water is plentiful.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Check out the Winding Stairs area of the Little Missouri Trail. It also happens to be part of the Eagle Rock Loop. It has great campsites and swimming holes. Even some fishing to be had. All the info you need here http://www.duprephotography.com/ERL/index.html

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Hambone....that is a great link
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    +1 ^^ Thanks!

Hammock
    Clark TX-250, WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Eagle Rock Loop is half a days drive from Dallas. Its up here in the Ouachita National Forest and is a 26 mile round trip. A group of us are headed out April 30th-May 2nd if your interested. The trail crosses the Little Missouri more times than I can count so there is plenty of water. We keep an eye on the water levels. Over 4 ft and you can't cross the river safely especially with a youngster. Three day two night hike setting out early so we can be hanging in the trees in the afternoon with enough time to get in some fly fishing. The trials literally right down the road from where I live so it was an easy choice.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln.

Hammock
    WBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Cinch Buck/Stingrz
    Images
    I just hiked the Eagle Rock Loop last weekend and my knee is still recovering. It's right at 30 miles if you take all the spur trails, though the main loop was 26 miles. Winding Stair is the place to camp for sure on this trail though it can get crowded. There are two really cool sites just south of the actual Winding Stairs. One is on an island. If you want more seclusion I would suggest hanging just south east of the Little Missouri Falls. It's right on the river and gets your two mile hike. There were a lot of people from Dallas there and they said it took them 5 hours. This is a dry county so bring your own beer. Not a beer to be had in an hours drive.
    "I have come to realize that fat boys don't hike. I need to quit or hike more!" - Big Fish

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Check out Backpacking Arkansas web site also. A whole sub-forum on the ERL. Also, the water gauge is hot-linked under "Stream crossings". The ERL, walks along the Little Mo. Then the Viles Branch creek. So LOTS of water. Then the mountains. Yeah, 6 mountains in 8 miles. Be prepared! But at the bottom of each is.....a creek....with water. I've heard some people just camel up at the creeks and carry just like half a liter up the mountain.....then repeat at the next creek.
    I plan to do the ERL in May. My third trip. I'll also do the Caney Creek Trail (west of the ERL). But will be skipping the Buckeye trail (intersects the Caney Creek, but is a ridge walk and isn't easy to follow).

CLICK THIS for backpacking arkansas.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Hambone....that is a great link
    Yeah, that site and Backpacking Arkansas.com that rhjanes mentioned are THE source for info on the ERL.

I have done this loop four times and sections of it more than I could count and it never gets old!

• + New Posts