Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    I use an Xtherm and its great. I prefer the pad in the summer and the UQ in the winter as I like to lay on my side against the side walls of the RR. In the summer this vents quite nicely but in the winter I do get a chill from the side. Small piece of reflectix fixes this though. If I'm around shelters the pad gives me the option to chill during a storm or if the tarp springs a leak. (happened in the whites-side pullouts leaked). +1 on taking the small spreader bar section on the head end out for getting that pad to sit lower with more stability. Both pad and UQ work great and that's part of what makes the RR such a great hammock and worth the extra weight.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    It makes sense that an R value is probably more accurate for ground than hanging. I went for a 3.0 R Thermarest pad as I'm a Floridian and might fry with a warmer pad. I can supplement with quilts/2nd pad as needed. Thanks all for weighing in!

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happydensity View Post
    * How are you liking the Klymit pad Texas Hanger?
    The Klymit is my go to for backpacking and car camping. I tried the Luxe but actually found the std one more comfortable. I use an SPE with 9 inch wide foam on each side in the pocket of my V-Allen bridge. It gives me 41" width which is plenty for side sleeping and all other positions.

I tried other air pads but they were all tube based and too stiff in the hammock. With the Insulated Klymit only $50ish on ebay, it was a no brainer to try it. All my DIY stuff is is built around it now. My hammock recliner, SPE that I use in the pocket of of my bridge, and my GE Hexon 11.5 x 64" with a built in SPE. All use the Klymit for comfort ans insulation.
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 04-10-2016 at 13:20.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    Well, I went ahead and ordered a Neoair Trekker with an R of 3.0, putting emphasis on its extra 2" width (and $45) vs. the 4.4R of the Klymit. Having second thoughts. Was also looking at the Klymit Lite mattress, but pretty much ruled it out due to durability concerns. Heard a few things about faulty Klymit inflation nozzles as well. Hmmmmm

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HGdcf, SLDwinterhv
    Insulation
    WBlynx, HGburrow
    Suspension
    Dutch daisy chain
    Images
    I use both depending on the weather. I have a WBRR double with a 0* UQ and a ExpedSyn air pad. The worked great in tandem this past winter. My next outing probably will utilize just the pad. I am adding an Under Quilt protector from 2QZQ for my spring/summer rig but for use without the UQ.
    I also added some 6-12inch cord to the corners of the UQ for added air circulation.
    I love how you can fine-tune the hammock comfort experience with modifications like this. So much better than a tent.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    I'm almost wondering if I can get away with a 3-4R pad and a 1 season Ridge Creek quilt here in the southeast. Can't imagine getting below 25 degrees in my travels

I ran a Neoair and a 3 season Ridgecreek this past November in sub 30 degree weather and slept warm and comfortable! Best of all worlds.

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    The 3 season quilt itself is good to 25 degrees. I just used my 3 season Jarbidge with my Neoair pad and was toasty at 39. What I'm currently wondering is if the Neoair with a 3.0R plus a one season quilt would get me down to 25. I'd like to think so, as I'm always looking to save weight/space in the pack

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    I prefer pads, just for the option of going to the ground. That being said, I sleep with a Gossamear gear Thinlight Hammock pad and a Thermarest Pro-lite pad on top of that. Pads don't move around, I think the GG Thinlight keeps everything in it's place. Pretty cozy on my back or side. I don't use the small spreader bar piece, and I have a single RR. I can go into the 30's with this set up and be warm and comfy. I tried my Neo Air in the RR and felt it put me up to high in the RR. Probably just psychological, but I sleep better with the 2 thinner pads. I carry the Thermarest rolled up tight and attached to the side of my backpack and the GG thinlight is rolled up tight and attached to the bottom of my backpack. Very compact looking carrying arrangement.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I have both an UQ and pads for my Ridgerunner. I have a piece of 1/4" closed cell cut in an hourglass shape to fit. It is very lightweight, gets me into the 40's, but is slightly bulky - well, not really bulky but a little hard to make fit in the pack. I also have an inflatable (Klymit insulated Luxe) that is 30" wide and 76" long. It stores very compactly but is a little on the heavy side for extended hikes. It is a little bit of a nuisance getting it deflated and stored but not a deal killer. It gets me comfortably into the upper 30's.
    I much prefer the pads, especially the inflatable - makes the hammock flatter, wider, and easier to change sleeping positions. They never shift out of position and never cause any cold spots.
    That is with a double layer Ridgerunner. I tried using the pads by just laying on them in the hammock and did not like it at all.
    Try leaving th 1/4" closed cell between the hammock layers and role the unit up as a whole. This works for me. This could also be done with an air pad, but I've not tried it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast