Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images

Ridgerunner with Pad?

Do any folks prefer using inflatable pads (vs. underquilts) with their Ridgerunners? I tried mine out with a Neoair yesterday and rather enjoyed the flat lay, particularly on my stomach. Thanks, Scott

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I prefer my under quilt. The pads "lifted" me too high in the hammock. The pad works will otherwise.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I prefer the lay with a pad. For really cold temps I go with a pad and my 0 ambush quilt.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Count me in as an air pad guy... I have a custom Bridge. not a ridgerunner, but same idea.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    If I were just laying on my back (I nap there but don't sleep well) I think I'd prefer the quilt. It's the side and especially the stomach where the pad seems indispensable. Also seeming to like it without the head end small insert bar, which surprised me. Trying to figure out whether to spend a lot of money on a better pad, or a ton more on the Lynx underquilt. Currently leaning heavily toward the pad. I was very interested in the V-Allen bridge until he appeared to have vanished. How are you liking the Klymit pad Texas Hanger?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have both an UQ and pads for my Ridgerunner. I have a piece of 1/4" closed cell cut in an hourglass shape to fit. It is very lightweight, gets me into the 40's, but is slightly bulky - well, not really bulky but a little hard to make fit in the pack. I also have an inflatable (Klymit insulated Luxe) that is 30" wide and 76" long. It stores very compactly but is a little on the heavy side for extended hikes. It is a little bit of a nuisance getting it deflated and stored but not a deal killer. It gets me comfortably into the upper 30's.
    I much prefer the pads, especially the inflatable - makes the hammock flatter, wider, and easier to change sleeping positions. They never shift out of position and never cause any cold spots.
    That is with a double layer Ridgerunner. I tried using the pads by just laying on them in the hammock and did not like it at all.
    Last edited by Passinthru; 04-09-2016 at 08:03.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    I have the double layer Ridgerunner. I have been looking at the warmer Klymit and Neo Air pads. With an R-value around 5, I'd have guessed you could have gotten into the single digits with the Klymit, but I may have been wrong. Then width of the Luxe seems perfect, but it is a bit heavy as you stated. I'm about to take my neo air pad with an R of 2.2 into the mountains and am a bit nervous as it can still dip into the 20s

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AE Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    I use a Ridgecreek quilt and it has always been fine. Just recently started thinking about trying a sea2summit pad. I tried a Big Agnes Q-core SL before. It was way too much. Inflated and mostly inflated I felt like I was going to fall out of the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by happydensity View Post
    I have the double layer Ridgerunner. I have been looking at the warmer Klymit and Neo Air pads. With an R-value around 5, I'd have guessed you could have gotten into the single digits with the Klymit, but I may have been wrong. Then width of the Luxe seems perfect, but it is a bit heavy as you stated. I'm about to take my neo air pad with an R of 2.2 into the mountains and am a bit nervous as it can still dip into the 20s
    I just tested the Klymit insulated Luxe down to 27 degrees on the ground. While it was not cold, it made me aware that the pad was not as warm as my 20 degree HG top quilt. And I would call 27 degrees my comfort level with this pad. I should note that it was also very windy during this test. I like this pad when hanging with the RR very much. However at warm temperatures I notice I have sweat under me which does not happen with an UQ. I like that the legs can splay in a more comfortable direction with this pad versus an UQ, rather than always being against one another. Still, the Lynx is a perfect companion for a RR, better than any pad could be IMHO.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I have no data to back this up but I suspect that a pad that is comfortable to 'X' degrees on the ground may not be as warm at that temp while suspended in the air due to the air movement below it.
    My Klymit has an R value of 5 - I think the pad with an R of 2.2 would not be enough for me. Perhaps adding a windshield sun shield would help.
    By the way - another plus to using a pad instead of a quilt is for when/if you have to go to ground. The Klymit pad is very, very comfortable on the ground.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast