Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hot Chocolate in the hammock when it's cold. Then eat and hit the road.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by ps22285 View Post
    Slow start for me I like my coffee. I do admit it can be a time waster.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    I agree to the extent that I am seriously considering going to Cold Coffee.It takes too much time to heat the water only to wait for it to cool,and then get it down without burning my mouth.I'm estimating an hour of time saved on coffee alone.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I agree to the extent that I am seriously considering going to Cold Coffee.It takes too much time to heat the water only to wait for it to cool,and then get it down without burning my mouth.I'm estimating an hour of time saved on coffee alone.
    My somewhat new (1 year now) process is pretty efficient, whether in a hurry or just relaxing.

1. Heat 8oz water (Toaks 600 pot + BRS3000 stove) - literally 2 minutes or less from screwing on stove to pouring
    2. Pour instant coffee into empty double-walled mug
    3. Pour hot water over that from a decent height (to eliminate need to stir)
    4. Cover with lid. It keeps the coffee hot so I can take my time; I don't like cold or ever luke warm coffee.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Most of the time it's breakfast, break camp and go. However, there are times when a more leisurely start to the day happens and most often, that is not planned.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    I love my coffee. Even if i'm not cooking anything I'll heat water up for coffee. While the water is heating, I can start packing. Once it's done I mix it in my insulated mug (GSI Infinity) and it stays hot while i finish packing and eat whatever it is I'm eating, always standing my for a sip. By the time i'm ready to go, if I have any left it's cooled down enough for me to chug it, pack the mug and hit the trail.

Coffee is the ONE THING keeping me from going stoveless.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    Variety is the spice of life, so just depends on the trip itinerary. Some days/trips are get up and go, others are relax for a bit. However, i'm always going to boil water for coffee. most mornings I don't do a hot breakfast, but usually have one morning I will throughout a multi day trip when i'm needing a pick me up.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Get up and go where?

Unless I'm hiking a trail and NEED to be somewhere by a certain time, I don't go anywhere because I'm already where I'm going.

I've spent 35 years being in a hurry, stressed out by work, driving in heavy traffic, meeting deadlines, etc.
    I get up when I'm good and ready and do whatever I want to do. I generally bushwack into a cool spot and just enjoy it for a few days, no real trail time for me, been there done that!
    I can't tell you how many days I've wasted hurriedly hiking trails instead of actually enjoying the wilderness on my own terms.

I enjoy real meals, fresh coffee, fishing, exploring, swimming, navigation, tree & plant identification, photography, etc. and none of that requires I eat cold food, drink cold coffee, or get into a rush just to spend all day hiking trails and missing out on all the things I could be doing instead.

I get a lot out of my day, it's just that I don't go out there only to do trail miles, to me spending my whole weekend hiking is boring.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Both - I get up early enough to chill and relax, enjoy the first birds chirping of the day, the lightening of the eastern sky, the fading stars, and leisurely get ready to go. I have coffee and breakfast (via headlamp 'cuz I woke up early). Then if I have somewhere to go, I go. And it's a great morning and day, always

Interestingly, I generally do hike all day and still do very easily manage to enjoy coffee, exploring, swimming, navigation, tree & plant identification, photography, etc... and none of that requires that I spend all day not hiking trails.

u.w.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post
    Interestingly, I generally do hike all day and still do very easily manage to enjoy coffee, exploring, swimming, navigation, tree & plant identification, photography, etc... and none of that requires that I spend all day not hiking trails.

u.w.
    Hiking and the other activities Uncle "Jackrabbit" Willie mentioned in his post are not mutually exclusive, happily!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Hiking and the other activities Uncle "Jackrabbit" Willie mentioned in his post are not mutually exclusive, happily!
    Quote Originally Posted by u.willie View Post
    Both - I get up early enough to chill and relax, enjoy the first birds chirping of the day, the lightening of the eastern sky, the fading stars, and leisurely get ready to go. I have coffee and breakfast (via headlamp 'cuz I woke up early). Then if I have somewhere to go, I go. And it's a great morning and day, always

u.w.
    Hmm.....I think that was exactly my point, maybe I could have worded things better!

Some backpackers, including me in times past, make these things mutually exclusive by spending all their energy hiking from point A to point B at the expense of all other activities.
    Not saying there is anything wrong with that, just that it's no longer my cup of tea.

With respect to photography, it may take me the better part of a day with a tripod and camera to get a particular shot I want. I may need to take multiple shots as the light angle changes, or to wait on a particular animal to show up at a pond, etc.
    I can't hike and do that at the same time.

With respect to navigation, you can learn navigation while hiking trails, but to actually practise it the way I like to, I need to be well off trail.

Sometimes I spend all day off trail navigating, sometimes I spend all day pounding out trail miles, and sometimes I stay put in an area so I can fish, or set up time consuming camera shots.

The greatest part I enjoy about being out there is that I see no right or wrong way to do things.

I tend to go solo because I don't like being trapped by a group itenarary, or a death march mentality.

I have days where I just lay around all day and enjoy my time in the wilderness, I have learnt a lot just by watching and listening, instead of spending all day staring at the ground or the hiker in front of me.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast