SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    IMO, there is a certain number of hours I'm going to be hiking and that's really not going to change. So, the decision is, do I want to maximize the time to hang out at camp before hiker midnight, or do I want enjoy lounging a bit in the morning instead. I prefer the latter. I like for former, and typically do a bit of that later than other hikers might, but I typically hike later into the evening than most as well.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images
    Solo - Up at 5 for the morning drainage. Back in the hammock for an hour nap. Up, breakfast drink, pack and get moving. Things to see and people to do. From the time I'm up up to on the trail in earnest is usually about 20 minutes.

Group hang - Up at 5 for the morning drainage. Back in the hammock for an hour nap. Up, start a fire quietly, breakfast, wait while the rest of the group comes to the fire, eat what they offer me for breakfast, listen while two or three debate on what day hike they want to do that day and quietly decide which group I want to hook up with that day. Greet the real lollygaggers as they final join the rest of the group. Graciously eat what they offer me for breakfast. Get my gear together and offer to shuttle as many as the Jeep will hold for the preferred day hike. That's usually a 3 - 4 hour process there. Really enjoy the company, the food and the stories.

The DNA is wired as the milk man's kid. The hammock has mutated that beautifully for the maximum amount of sleep/napping available or desired. Hey! Just discovered I'm a hammock mutant! That rocks!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Same routine always. Wake up before daylight. Go. Get back in hammock, sleep until I wake up. Tea or coffee. Poptart or energy bar. Pack up. Go again. Finally hit the trail. Time I hit the trail, variable to when I wake up the second time.

The earlier I "wake" up the better, because down the trail a ways I'm going to stop for either breakfast or lunch. I like breakfasts in the woods better. It's usually hot and I'll get a second cuppa. Lunch is always more like a snack. Miles. Not that important any longer....as long as there's enough in front of me, to keep walking the rest of the day until dark is fine
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Definitely chill and start slow. Never done the get up and go but would be willing to try it out for comparison. Great way to put in miles I bet.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    Hash browns and bacon strips , I like the way you lick your lips

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm very inconsistent. Solo hikes I normally get up and make coffee and quick breakfast. But I've started hiking before daylight or sleep in until 8 at times.

Group setting just go with the flow. I'm not one to worry about things very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    It's a mood and setting thing for me. By myself, I'm typically a morning person anyway so it's get up and go, put a few miles under my feet, and then stop to eat something. On lazy days, that all changes. I'll laze around camp, make some breakfast, do the Shug breakfast from the hammock thing, and then get my butt in gear. In a group setting? All bets are off. It's usually whatever is for the good of the group.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    To be honest I like the camping portion better than the hiking. I just like to relax and take my time. This in mind I usually on hike 8-12 miles a day so I have time to relax in the morning and time to chill in the evenings. Plus it gives me time to actually enjoy the trails and not have to zone out as I hike.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Man, I'm retired. Only agenda item is pee breaks. Morning naps are as important as afternoon naps.
    T

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Tumbleweed that is awesome!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    On my last trip I woke up just before dawn to a Barred Owl pair hooting back and forth. One of them landed in the tree above my head. From that point on I was wide awake! So much for sleeping in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast