Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I have really enjoyed this thread. I tend to avoid reading this type of question & answer because, well, people like what they like. But this is a fun read.

If I'm lucky enough to sleep in, then I take advantage of it. But it rarely happens. If it does happen and my hiking buddy has started a fire...I don't complain

I generally like to get going quickly and stop for breakfast at a nice spot with a view, or a rock, or a log to sit on, ... whatever. Hiking warms me better than anything else on a cold morning (except a fire!).

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I'm up with the sun, eat while enjoying where I am, listening to the bush come alive and the sun rise, then go.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I like to have a quick bite and tea in the early twilight when the birds start up, nothing better the being wrapped up in down and listening to everything come alive around you. It's much easier for me to get up early when it's my choice. I'm usually on the trail with the sunrise... If there's rain or some similar nonsense I lounge awhile hoping for a break (doubly so when it's wet snow). Once I'm walking I usually don't stop until I get into camp, usually by mid afternoon, just in time for naps and/or fishing. That may change with my new hiking companion this year though! (1 yr old as of 4/5)

image.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Coffee - that's all I need. Coffee. Fresh-roasted coffee, along with a little trail mix and I'm ready to start the day!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    At home, I'm normally up around 8. In the woods, I'm usually asleep by an hour after dark and up and about as soon as I realize it is light.
    Need my coffee and something, usually oatmeal, or I don't walk well. Also have to eat before taking my ever growing number of meds! It seems to take me 90 minutes for that and packing up. Would like to move out sooner. Still working on that.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    For the most part I'm the get up and go type. However, the past couple of months I've been getting out with my middle son, 11 years old, and I have been changing my habits to make everything more enjoyable for him. First off, I don't set an alarm, I always rise early while on the trail naturally, but he doesn't, so I don't want to spoil the sleep for him. While he's still asleep I'll make some coffee, and break out the cards I brought and play some solitaire, or take a short walk, taking in the surrounding area and the differences the early morning light reveals. I have been breaking down my hammock setup while he's still asleep and as long as the weather is nice, I've even been breaking down his tarp setup and having most of it ready to go for him by the time he rolls out of the hammock. We haven't been pushing huge miles yet, we've kept it to the 5-10 miles per day, but they are starting to grow, and he's getting excited about the progress.

Either way, get up and go, or chill and relax, you can't go wrong, you're in the woods, enjoy it!

Hammock
    Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    A big one
    Insulation
    CCF and down bag
    Suspension
    rope and knots
    I have to pee around sunrise so I'm up. A brew going and working on breakfast.
    If I'm waking or paddling and it's going to be hot I like to start and stop early anyway .
    If I want to fish a little or explore a bit I may pack up and then fish and move on after a fry up and dishes cleaned.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's usually hard to do a lot of miles anywhere I've been. It's possible to add miles, but never really a goal that you must achieve in order to set up camp. So I'll usually wake up around 7:30am, relax a bit to watch the sun come up, have coffee and breakfast, pack up, and start hiking by 9:00-ish all without rushing. I always try not to rush it. 10, 20 years from now when I look back, I want to see all the cool videos and photos I took instead of seeing that I hiked 16 miles instead of 12.

Hammock
    BB and RR
    Tarp
    HG STD CF W/Doors
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Love the moto - Smiles, not miles. Don't know where I heard it - heck it may have even been in this thread.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie/Sub'Kilo
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Every day I get up committed to chilling out and taking my time. Heat water for a nice cup of coffee before breakfast; morning ablutions and start organizing gear a little while it's heating up. Take a sip; burn my tongue; and finish packing hammock et al. while it's cooling enough to drink. sit down to enjoy that first cuppa and of course it's cold so I take a sip; chuck the rest; and am on my way within about 15-20 minutes of getting up, right around sunrise. An hour or so down the trial/river/whatever I'll grab a ProBar or Greenbelly or something and call it breakfast.

As you can imagine, I'm usually alone!
    Add life to your years!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast