Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which Blackbird is Right for Me?

Hey all, this is my first post in the forum, but I've been on here for a while. I've been looking to upgrade my system. Currently, I have an ENO Doublenest, Noah Tarp 12, Hammockgear Burrow and Hammockgear Incubator.

I plan to upgrade my tarp by purchasing the Superfly and I'd like to get a Blackbird for better comfort. I can't get a very diagonal lay in my ENO Doublenest.

I'm struggling with all my choices. I've definitely ruled out the 1.7 Double Layer... leaving the remaining 3 choices.

I'd been considering the 1.7 Single due to weight and IF I ever use a pad the 1.1 Double for the flexibility. When sleeping with a pad, I prefer it in my sleeping bag to keep it from sliding around. However, the 1.7 Single is only 2 oz lighter than the 1.1 Double and I really like the Coyote Brown over the Coyote Green.

I like the idea of having more durable fabric, but I'm generally pretty easy on my gear so I dot know that it makes a difference in terms of durability.

I'm also not worried about mosquitos given that I either sleep on a pad or use my underquilt depending on the time of the year.

Also, I'm 5' 10" and about 140 lbs so weight isn't a concern, but I do occasionally have my son hanging out with me or my 55 lb dog in the hammock with me as well.

My last decision is between the regular 10" and XLC 11". I'm not sure I'll ever need to remove the bug net, but it's a nice idea in case I ever need to replace it. I figure I could simply order a new bugnet from Brandon rather than an entirely new hammock. Also I like the mitten hooks on the pull outs, but I know I can add those later. Do I really need the added length?

I know I have lots of questions... I've read through most of the forums on some of these quesrions, but thought I'd ask them relating specifically to me and my circumstances.

Thanks in advance!

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

You didn't mention, I think, whether you hike or as they say "car camp", or something in between like me as I live on about 300 acres and can hike but not all day or all weekend for that matter. I mention all this because this factors in with weight savings and thus your choices. There are lots of vendors here on HF that produce excellent equipment. A lot of folks wind up with several set ups. Sounds like you've got your TQ and UQ already. I'm 6'2" and love my 11ft DL 1.6 hexon from Dutch and my SLD 12ft winter haven... Likely will be pick and choose and eventually come up with 1 or 2 favorite set ups.. Good luck
    No matter where you go...There you are..

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by idk487 View Post
    Hey all, this is my first post in the forum, but I've been on here for a while. I've been looking to upgrade my system. Currently, I have an ENO Doublenest, Noah Tarp 12, Hammockgear Burrow and Hammockgear Incubator.

I plan to upgrade my tarp by purchasing the Superfly and I'd like to get a Blackbird for better comfort. I can't get a very diagonal lay in my ENO Doublenest.

I'm struggling with all my choices. I've definitely ruled out the 1.7 Double Layer... leaving the remaining 3 choices.

I'd been considering the 1.7 Single due to weight and IF I ever use a pad the 1.1 Double for the flexibility. When sleeping with a pad, I prefer it in my sleeping bag to keep it from sliding around. However, the 1.7 Single is only 2 oz lighter than the 1.1 Double and I really like the Coyote Brown over the Coyote Green.

I like the idea of having more durable fabric, but I'm generally pretty easy on my gear so I dot know that it makes a difference in terms of durability.

I'm also not worried about mosquitos given that I either sleep on a pad or use my underquilt depending on the time of the year.

Also, I'm 5' 10" and about 140 lbs so weight isn't a concern, but I do occasionally have my son hanging out with me or my 55 lb dog in the hammock with me as well.

My last decision is between the regular 10" and XLC 11". I'm not sure I'll ever need to remove the bug net, but it's a nice idea in case I ever need to replace it. I figure I could simply order a new bugnet from Brandon rather than an entirely new hammock. Also I like the mitten hooks on the pull outs, but I know I can add those later. Do I really need the added length?

I know I have lots of questions... I've read through most of the forums on some of these quesrions, but thought I'd ask them relating specifically to me and my circumstances.

Thanks in advance!
    I'm only 4'11" tall, so I assumed the shorter WBBB would be better for me than the 11' WBBB XLC...however, talking it over with Brandon who thought the XLC would give the more comfortable flatter lay regardless of whether I was tall or not, convinced me to buy the XLC. I love my XLC, but remained curious about the WBBB, having never seen any Warbonnets apart from my own XLC.

This past winter I bought my daughter a WBBB and I finally got to see both it and the XLC side by side. My daughter loves her WBBB...but the first time I crawled in it, after camping extensively the last few years in my XLC, I was surprised at how cramped it felt. I'm used to it now and it doesn't feel as cramped anymore, but I prefer my XLC. It just FEELS so much more spacious inside. I could be happy with either, but I'm spoiled with my XLC.

Another thing I love about the XLC is the optional winter top cover. I use it a LOT. I love having the flexibility of switching between the net cover and the winter top cover. I also like the option of taking both off to have a simple open hammock.

I'm glad Brandon steered me to the XLC. But, you can't go wrong with either the Blackbird or the XLC.

My XLC is the double layer multi-cam. It holds up fine to my large German shepherds climbing up in it with me. It's a very robust, durable hammock. My daughter's Blackbird is the 1.7 double layer. The double layer is super nice when we are using pads.

I mainly do car camping, but am planning to do some backpacking in the future.

I should also mention I'm in Oklahoma. It can be fairly hot in the summer, but also quite cold in the winter. I do more camping in the late fall and early spring right now. I know that has more to do with insulation, but thought I'd throw that out there. I'm not familiar with all of the other vendors, but for my research, WBBB has some of the best reviews for comfortably.

As of now, I am willing to take a slight weight penalty for comfort, but I would like to keep weight in mind as I upgrade my gear. I know my current set up is quite heavy.

I like the idea of the XLC, but I'm not a fan of the added cost. Between the Superfly and the WBBB it would be around $300 before shipping/taxes. If I went with the XLC it would add $100 to the cost of things.. not sure I want to spend that much at the moment.

I'm sure anything will feel bigger than my ENO given how small it is relatively speaking.

Texas Hill Country, Canada, Southern Mexico, Northern Alabama
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft double layer
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings

In the last 6 or 7 months I went from my almost 8yr old HH Explorer deluxe set up which I really loved to a set up at about half that weight. I wound up getting an 11ft sl 1.6 hexon on the for sale board. Man what a game changer. I use that mainly for around the house. I wanted a DL for a bit more support and got that directly from dutchware. Found an SLD fronkey style bug net which I wasn't keen on at first but after using it even though it's not as convenient as my HH Explorer zippered bugnet the whole setup is infinitely lighter. No matter what you get you really can't go wrong even if you find yourself, like me, adding yet another piece of gear here and there. The main thing is getting out there and using it all. Oklahoma huh? Home of double shot coffee company..my favorite coffee on the planet!
    No matter where you go...There you are..

The price sure doesn't sting as much with dutch and I can get the whole rig at about 20oz. If I went with the WBBB 1.1 DL which would be the heaviest set up I'd consider from warbonnet it's only about 27oz. But it has the shelf and bugnet.

And yes, Doubleshot Coffee... some amazing stuff!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

I would go with the 1.1oz DL in that case. Even if you only occasionally use a pad (maybe in addition to your underquilt), the double layer will help a lot with keeping it in place. And it has a higher weight capacity, although I would be hesitant to take a dog into the hammock for fear of damage. The fabric WB uses is pretty tough, though.

That's a matter of taste, and you'll only know the answer if you try both models, unfortunately. I'm 5'4" and I'm more than happy with the 10' WBBB. I use a lot of hammocks, and most of them longer - but the WBBB's design allows me to lie flatter than I can even in a 13' hammock. Even coming from a larger hammock, the WBBB doesn't feel cramped at all to me. Actually, I have been surprised how much roomier the WBBB feels than a few 11' hammocks... I think it's the way the net is cut. However, the XLC will feel larger, of course. But I don't need more space for sleeping and reading - and I like the design of the 10' BB better.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've owned the XLC and loved the comfort. I am a weight weenie. In pursuit of finding a lighter more compressible hammock. The Dutch Half-Wit is a fantastic light weight option. If weight and cash is not an issue I would highly recommend the XLC. The shelf is awesome. I also have learned that I like the ability to lay head left or right . Not an option on most integrated hammocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast