Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images

Is it a Whoopie Loop or Adjustable CL?

I'm sure this must have been done before, but I happened to come across it by accident.

A while back I had a short piece of left over gray amsteel sitting on my desk. At some point I began doodling with it and made a simple loop. I was thinking of it as a snake eating it's own tail. It hadn't occurred to me then that it could actually be useful for anything. A few days ago I picked it up and it suddenly dawned on me that this was an adjustable continuous loop, only without a locked brummel. I began thinking about those times when a whoopie is too long and you may substitute one or more CL's. I then realized that it didn't have to be limited to a short loop but could be as long as you want it to be, and it will still close down very small. Hmmm...

I then took another piece of leftover amsteel, about 9', and made a 10" bury, starting 1" from one end. This makes a loop that opens to approx 4' long and closes down to about 4". However, playing with it I realized that closing more than the bury length means something will be attaching to the outside of the bury, which can potentially loosen the constriction. As you can see in the photo, my 10" bury ends up being 8 3/4" after being expanded.

I haven't tried hanging from this yet so I don't know how it actually works out, but I don't see why it would be any weaker than a whoopie sling. It's stupid simple to make since there are no eye loops and locked brummels etc. The short end should be whipped or shrink tubed (new term?). I figure I'll splice in a pair of whoopie hooks to make it really versatile. Can use a hook at each end or lark's head one end and use a hook at the other. I'm not seeing any reason this could not replace whoopie slings altogether.

One down side I see is that due to it being a 360* loop, more cord would be needed to make it equivalent to a 6' sling. Let's see, I believe 12' of cord results in a about 6' of sling. In my test loop, 9' of cord results in about 4' of loop. So ispso-facto, 12' of cord should result in about 5'6" of loop. Yes/no? If I'm correct, not much difference. Somebody else better do the math!

Go ahead, rip it apart and show me the error of my ways!

whoopie-loop[1].jpg

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I never saw that before. Are you testing your whoopie loop--adjustable continuous loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Another Hammock Forum member, GadgetUK347--(I hope I got your handle right), has done right much work with whoopie slings and loopie slings. Maybe he has some Intel on your new amsteel adjustable continuous loop. Good luck and let us know how it works.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    That is GadgetUK437 is his name

Images
    That's my name.... Don't wear it out!
    Yup, loopie sling is what it is called. The bury should be similar to a UCR, maybe a little shorter, you have two lines sharing the load. And, like a UCR, a prusik on the loose tail Nino is a good idea, to keep tension on both ends of the constrictor.
    I have one of these as an adjustable continuous loop, on an indoor hammock I have to hang in a small space.
    Someone did a variation where the loose tail was made into a eye splice, around the main loop, they used that as a suspension point to keep the tension on it.

I have been daydreaming for some time about combining this with a soft shackle, making an adjustable soft shackle.

--
    Gadget.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I never saw that before. Are you testing your whoopie loop--adjustable continuous loop.

I intend to try it out tonight.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    That's my name.... Don't wear it out!
    Yup, loopie sling is what it is called. The bury should be similar to a UCR, maybe a little shorter, you have two lines sharing the load. And, like a UCR, a prusik on the loose tail Nino is a good idea, to keep tension on both ends of the constrictor.
    I have one of these as an adjustable continuous loop, on an indoor hammock I have to hang in a small space.
    Someone did a variation where the loose tail was made into a eye splice, around the main loop, they used that as a suspension point to keep the tension on it.

I have been daydreaming for some time about combining this with a soft shackle, making an adjustable soft shackle.

--
    Gadget.
    Having read your post, I wasn't seeing the need for a prusik, thinking that there would be sufficient tension with none needed at the short tail. Then I decided to try it, using a 25' cord rather than cutting at this point. I also slipped a whoppie hook on. Just hung it up and it didn't take long to see why the tail needs tension. Even the slightest touch can cause the constriction to lose it's grip. It's probably fine under a load but otherwise it's quite iffy. So far not a big fan of prusiks, I'm going to try whipping the tail to the main cord and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Tried the whipping. So far works great. In fact at first I thought it would be too tight, was having a hard time getting it to budge. Once I got it to move though it's not too bad, still pretty tight which is good. It may be unnecessary, but I think I'd like to add an overhand knot to the end of the tail just as a precaution to keep the whipping from slipping off the end.

One thing for certain, the whipping definitely stopped the constriction from loosening.

<edit>I can see that it would beneficial to have a longer tail to allow for easier adjustments. If the whipping is too close to the bury exit, it makes it unnecessarily more difficult.</edit>

One major benefit of this whoopie loop, or loopie sling, is that for us short folks it sure is nice to be able to position the bury anywhere we want. Meaning that at any time you can simply rotate the loop to place it near the mount point or the hammock, or anywhere in between. My indoor hang points are in the ceiling joists, so not having to climb up a step ladder to make adjustments is a blessing.

Excuse the reflectix background, but trust me, it's far better than the background in my garage! I know these do not show the best detail, for better images I'd have to take it down so I could position everything just so, and use a less distracting background.

BTW, the whipping is synthetic blind cord.

whoopieloop-whipping[1].jpgwhoopieloop-whipping-hook[2].jpg
    Last edited by sqidmark; 04-08-2016 at 07:32.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    evolution never stops!! glad we're still creating ways to adjust our setups!
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    More experimenting.

This method will take a bit more cordage than a conventional whoopie to make a 6 footer. 12' for a whoopie. For the loopie, depending on how one finishes the ends, I'd say between 12'6 and 13' ought to do it.

While there are pro's and con's to each, the photo below clearly displays the most important difference. Minimum lengths of 21" vs 10 1/2", including WH's.

Here you can see that I used an overhand knot on a 5" tail. I tidy'd up the tip with shrink tubing. The whipping is about 3/4" and takes more force to move than anticipated. Maybe 1/2" would be enough. But my first thought is that it may be extra tight while everything is new, it may loosen after use. The whipping, or prusik if you choose, makes adjusting a bit more cumbersome than a standard whoopie. This method probably won't make any cold weather fans. A few times I've been able to get both the whipping and the bury to adjust simultaneously, I suppose it's just going to take some practice.

I only spliced in a single WH this time, as I said previously, 2 WH's would make this even more versatile. Since neither WH is on a fixed loop there is far less chance of stress failure at a single spot.

whoopie-vs-loopie-minimum-length[1].jpg
    loopie-adjustment.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast