Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Dream Hammock with Integrated Bug Net vs WBBB

Have you tried the Dream Hammock (Thunderbird, Dangerbird) and/or the Warbonnet Blackbird? How do they compare? It seems like the foot box and shelf are awesome features of the WBBB. I really like the way Dream Hammocks seem to provide a more open hammock to enjoy the view.

Images
    I own both and you can't go wrong with either. And before you ask I don't have a preference between the two. I like having choices.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Haha. Fair enough! I was considering getting one of each with specs so my husband and I could trade but I think we could end up loving the same hammock.

What do you like and dislike about each? When do you like to use one over the other?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've owned both and I agree with OutandBack - you can't go wrong with either. Nor do I have a preference.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    dyi
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Varies
    Oh dear, I must agree with Out and Back and Trail Runner.

I owned both before water and fire took both the Blackbird and my Thunderbird. I would not pick one over the other, they are different, as you will feel when you sleep in the hammock.

Some things you just have to try them out to see how they work for your individual taste and needs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laghang View Post
    Haha. Fair enough! I was considering getting one of each with specs so my husband and I could trade but I think we could end up loving the same hammock.

What do you like and dislike about each? When do you like to use one over the other?
    For me the big difference with a Dream you have a huge choice of colors and fabrics as well as many add on custom features. With the WBBB XLC you only get a couple options.
    Both hammocks fell great and I have no issues getting to sleep in either of them.

If you would like to look at a bunch(~200) of pictures of different hammocks in random setting checkout my flicker page. Feel free to ask about any of them that is what this forum is all about.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57632322638444

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The Dream Hammock is very customizable as has been mentioned. That's a big deal if you want to dial in fabric choices by weight and color, not to mention options on the hammock.

The longer, wider Dream Hammocks did not put the bug net in my face, I thought they would but it wasn't an issue. Haven't tried the shorter ones for comparison. I like the option of having a peak shelf as well. The tie outs I didn't really find useful or necessary. The pack hook options for the under quilt are nice, imho a must have, I end up sewing them onto all my hammocks.

The WBBB types have a bug net that can be pulled away from your face and I find that is necessary for me. The shelf is darn handy and doesn't need to be staked out to be useful. It's built like a tank and if you order a double layer 1.7/1.7 with Top Cover, it can weigh a lot because there is a lot of fabric going on there. That said, I've used mine for several hundred nights and it's still going strong.

Love love love the web strap and triangle suspension. Just not a fan of the cinch buckle option. YMMV HYOH I run whoopies on my lighter setups.

I'm into DIY stuff now or I would already own a DH. Never say Never
    Last edited by Ratdog; 04-07-2016 at 09:57.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have both but prefer the WBBB because I really like the footbox and the shelf. DreamHammock is fantastic and they offer a lot of options (though no footbox or shelf because these are patented by WB), but you get more out of it if you have a bit of experience and know what you like. Although I got my DH after using hammocks for 3 years, I apparently picked a fabric that doesn't suit my needs. Since I get a backache when using the hammock for a night, I haven't really used it a lot. When I order my next DH, I'll definitely not make that mistake again. If you know what you want, DH is hard to beat. They have some pretty unique features.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    For me the big difference with a Dream you have a huge choice of colors and fabrics as well as many add on custom features. With the WBBB XLC you only get a couple options.
    Both hammocks fell great and I have no issues getting to sleep in either of them.

If you would like to look at a bunch(~200) of pictures of different hammocks in random setting checkout my flicker page. Feel free to ask about any of them that is what this forum is all about.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57632322638444
    Thanks for the info and link to pictures! You've been enjoying the hang!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    Cloud Burst
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Cayenne
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ratdog - Thank you for your comparison! It's really helpful.

What do you like about the webstrap and triangle suspension? Are whoopies more of a hassle? I figured I would want to go with whoopies but I didn't know about that option. Cinch and buckles may be the right solution for my husband. He likes to keep things simple.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast