Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TQ baffles running the long way, anyone doing it?

Hey guys. Is anyone doing top quilt baffles that run the long direction instead of across the body? I see Underground Quilts sort of does, they have the top 2/3 long direction. Also I think EE does and several sleeping bag companies, marmot comes to mind.

I think some people in the past have said about down shifting. However with proper volume why would it be any worse than with the chambers across the body?

I'm getting ready to make a new one for my wife and was thinking about making it the same lay out as the under quilt.

Thanks.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I would think baffles running longitudinally would prevent more down shift as to keep it on top, personally, but I sure could be wrong. EE does a hybrid thing where the baffles are longitudinal for 2/3 and lateral around the foot box. Seems to me it would shift more easily if the baffles ran across, but if the baffles are properly filled (as you said) I wouldn't think it would matter as much.
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    HG's baffles are lengthwise.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    HG's baffles are lengthwise.
    I meant on their top quilts. Unless they changed from the photo on their site.

BillyGoat you're right, EE has a kinda U shapped baffle layout. I was thinking running with the body would keep all the down on top, but it could shift around. I would plan for a decent over stuff which should help keep it in place.

Has anyone else tried it?

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images

I considered doing mine longitudinally as I don't see any disadvantage in terms of down shifting, and construction would be much faster with significantly less baffles. Perhaps if you plan to use it as a wrap around camp while upright I could see a clear advantage for latitudinal baffles.

I ultimately put mine latitudinally because it worked better with a pattern I incorporated into my TQ, i.e., for vanity and aesthetics.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards that design. Caminante is correct it is less baffles to sew. I'll miss out on all that extra fun. haha!

Could you do a couple incomplete horizontal ones just in case of shifting? I have little experience in this field but thought it could help.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I did a TQ with baffles running lengthwise. It works okay. I did notice heat would vent out easier which wasn't always a good thing (at the top). I ended up putting in a little draft baffle/tube across at the top to keep that from occurring. There is no problem with down shifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I did a TQ with baffles running lengthwise. It works okay. I did notice heat would vent out easier which wasn't always a good thing (at the top). I ended up putting in a little draft baffle/tube across at the top to keep that from occurring. There is no problem with down shifting.
    did you put a draw string and snap at the head end? I noticed that with cross baffles it was hard to tuck it in and stop drafts. The draw cord helped.

On this one I'd like to do a draft collar and if need be the first baffle at her head could run across.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast