Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tapes

1mm UCR Guylines and tarp ridgeline

Following the arrival of my 1mm dyneema i undertook an experiment in ruining my eyesight as quickly as possible by attempting to splice it into a UCR guy line. The theory is to use them 1 each end of my tarp (with a small dutch kook round the tree) as a ridge and on my tarp as guylines too. weight is just 2.5g and very low bulk. looks to work just as well as its bigger diameter cousins. Its a very fiddly job at this diameter and took me best part of an hour. I used 0.2mm stainless wire folded in half to make the fid. Worked fine but i would have preferred a little more stiffness. Shout out to Sgt Rock and Dave Xtrekker who's youtube videos saw me through construction. Im just waiting on some reflective dyneema from Litesmith for my main suspencion UCRs and will test when im out at the end of the month.

1mm ucr.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Topless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Great job! I've been thinking about doing something like this myself except that I want to put one on each end of the tarp and drop the CRL all together. Would you mind posting links to those videos you mentioned? Thanks

PS: It looks like you may have left off the dutch hook before splicing!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tapes
    Yea thats what i meant, one each end of the tarp. Will allow me to lose the weight of the two stingers i currently have there. The one pictured is just a guyline so no hook needed. im going to do the ridge ones at 8ft rather than 6ft

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    UCRs and whoopie slings don't adjust well under tension, which is why they're rarely used as tarp ridgelines or guylines. I tried a whoopie sling as a tarp ridgeline and it was a waste of time - never could get the tarp taut enough (even using both hands and my teeth). If I had a third hand to adjust the bury, it might work better.

As guy lines, UCRs/whoopies aren't much better, but at least you can release the tension by pulling the stake out of the ground.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tapes
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    UCRs and whoopie slings don't adjust well under tension, which is why they're rarely used as tarp ridgelines or guylines. I tried a whoopie sling as a tarp ridgeline and it was a waste of time - never could get the tarp taut enough (even using both hands and my teeth). If I had a third hand to adjust the bury, it might work better.

As guy lines, UCRs/whoopies aren't much better, but at least you can release the tension by pulling the stake out of the ground.
    Thats a damned good point that id not really thought of lol. Well ill stick with the guys as its a good way to bin the current line loc 3 system and 2.5mm line i use in them. Should be minimal fuss still if i just to length before pegging. The stingers get a reprive

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Topless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Where did you go for the 1mm Dyneema?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Tapes
    Quote Originally Posted by cincihangs View Post
    Where did you go for the 1mm Dyneema?
    Im in the UK but got it from Germany via ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141857958333

I have used 1.2 mm dyneema UCRs on my cuben tarp for a few of years now. Adjusting the tension is a trick, but it can be done in the right order. First I tighten the ridge line UCR on each side as much as possible. I actually pull the free end back towards the tree with one hand while I pull on the tarp with the other. This puts a lot of pressure on the opening of the bury, but it hasn't failed yet.

Once I have the ridge line taut and centered over the hammock, I then place each guy line and tighten just like i did the ridge line.

I have thought about trying something else, but the setup is so light and simple that I never get around to it.

• + New Posts