Thread: Need some help

Need some help

Looking for some pics of sleeping bags turn into underquilts or patterns. It will be for my wife she is new to to camping don't want to spend alot . Justin case she don't get into it

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    Last year, I used a lightweight 40 degree sleeping bag as a top quilt. The sleeping bag had a taper to it so I just zipped it up to where it felt right, maybe two feet or so and then hand sewed the zipper in place so that it would not move. That is all that I did and it worked fine. I did not have any issues with the zipper damaging the hammock. I did pick up one of the Costco down blankets to replace it this past fall. Eventually I want to make my own down quilts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roesso View Post
    Looking for some pics of sleeping bags turn into underquilts or patterns. It will be for my wife she is new to to camping don't want to spend alot . Justin case she don't get into it
    You'd better give her the best equipment and keep the sleeping bag for yourself or she may never go again.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    You'd better give her the best equipment and keep the sleeping bag for yourself or she may never go again.
    Sounds like the voice of experience!
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Your Mileage May Vary; but my fiancee slept just fine with this combo in her GT UL hammock; 3/8" thick pad, red down bag from The North Face, and fleece liner... down to temps of 40s....

as for sleeping bag UQ pattern?

Done with a rectangle bag. I did a similar thing to my summer camo synthetic bag after removing zipper, I added webbing tunnels for the shock cord to attach for sealing up the ends. It works OK down to mid 50s even doubled up. Rather heavy, bout 4 pounds all in.

A better option would be to do the Costco Down throw UQ; of which there are several threads, several variations. Might need to post or PM people about buying them, or wait until August for them to come back in stores... My personal one is triple layer, 2" loft, just over 2 pounds, made with two Costco Down Throws, and they kept me comfortable down to mid 30s with proper base layers.

I have seen the costco down throws but I dont have one around me

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roesso View Post
    I have seen the costco down throws but I dont have one around me
    You could look through the classifieds threads here if you are able to see them, and then PM members who are selling them?

Of course, it might be easier to just find a poncho liner in surplus shop or online, then do a PLUQ, or two of them, and double them up to make wife more comfortable....

Other option would be to try find a down comforter and use it as a pod or UQ to start out.

Hammock
    DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    the down throws are a good starting point for an UQ or TQ as long as your not going much below 50 or so. the bad thing about them is that they're rarer than hens teeth for a decent price. you can find them all over ebay and amazon for about 50-60 bucks but I personally wouldn't pay more than 35 for em. I did get 2 from a hammockforums member recently and I don't know if he has any more. if your looking for them post a want to buy ad on the forum and see if anyone has any for sale

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    You may want to consider a snugpak underquilt for around $50. Try a a google search or check on amazon.

Thanks for the help

• + New Posts