I have a 11 foot gathered-end hammock and have always adjusted my ridgelines several inches on either side of 109-110" (the hammock length x 83%),mostly to reduce any calf pressure. I have never eliminated it until tonight. I made some changes to my suspension (rap rings and straps replacing the whoopie slings) and hung the hammock WITHOUT a ridgeline by mistake. I hopped in to test the comfort once again and it was wonderful...no calf pressure whatsoever.

Revelling in my finally finding the perfect ridgeline length, I hopped out to measure it for the record. I was at first shocked that there was no ridgeline and second...after some careful measuring found my "ridgeline-less" length and it was 125" for my 11 footer. I am wondering how this could be. This is nowhere near 83% and wish I had thought out of the box long ago.

This is a Simply Light designs tree runner hammock, a single layer 11 footer with 6" continuous loops run through the sewn channel on each end. Nothing fancy whatsoever.

Have other hangers found they like a much longer ridgeline than what is supposed to be "correct"?