Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need a travel solution

Ok, here's my situation and current conundrum: I replaced my bed with a Paradiso Double hammock a little over a year ago because of back pain, and will never return to a regular bed. I have a nice setup at home, but I'm running into and issue for when I travel.

Usually when I'm traveling, I'm flying and/or the places I'm staying have no place to hang my hammock (hotel rooms, friend's apartments, etc.). I sleep in a regular bed on my travels because that's my only option right now, but I'm miserable because I wake up with back pain during my whole trip.

I'm looking for either a good, portable hammock stand that doesn't take up much space, or a hammock alternative that gives me the same type of sleeping experience.

The best "travel" stand I've found so far is the Drifter by Boondox, but at 22lbs, it's not exactly checked luggage friendly.

The best hammock alternative I've found is the Lamzac Hangout, but that only holds air for 3-4 hours, and the manufacturer themself say it's not good/meant for overnight sleeping.

Has anyone figured out a solution to this kind of problem?

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Did you see this? They claim it's good for 6 hours:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...ge/x/1081901#/

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    I'd go with a Handy Hammock. The heaviest part will be the weights to tie the guylines down, since you can't stake them into a guest room's floor.

http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    Did you see this? They claim it's good for 6 hours:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/k...ge/x/1081901#/
    That's a lot better than Lamzac's claim of 3-4 hours. Not quite the recommended 8 hours a night, but definitely promising and SUPER easy to set up! Geez, it looks like it takes all of 10 seconds to set up. I love that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nualle View Post
    I'd go with a Handy Hammock. The heaviest part will be the weights to tie the guylines down, since you can't stake them into a guest room's floor.

http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/
    That's a very interesting setup. I do love how lightweight it is, and this would be a great camping solution. I love the easy setup too.

You mentioned weights to tie the guidelines down, what kind of weights would you use? I can't really picture that. I weigh 165 lbs, what do you think would be a sufficient amount of weight to keep me from toppling the whole thing over?

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Insulation
    AHE TQ+UQ toasty!
    Suspension
    Lapp hitches
    Quote Originally Posted by funkeesocmonkey View Post
    You mentioned weights to tie the guidelines down, what kind of weights would you use? I can't really picture that. I weigh 165 lbs, what do you think would be a sufficient amount of weight to keep me from toppling the whole thing over?
    Tying the guy lines to stationary heavy things already in place might work better, if enough such things exist. But if you have to go nearly self-contained, then you might try using collapsible water carriers and fill up at your destination.

waterbag.jpg

As to the amount of weight involved, I don't really know. There are some engineers in the forum who might address that, if they see this thread. Or the designer of the Handy Hammock might come up with something if asked. A lot of hammock vendors are quite responsive to email inquiries; hopefully this one will be.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I am considering the same thing. I hate hotel beds and I hate going to ground. Getting ready for a bicycle tour this summer and gearing up for a 50% travel schedule in hotels, I need to find a solution myself.

If you look at Derek Hansens review of the Handy Hammock ( http://theultimatehang.com/2012/12/h...-stand-review/ ) There is a diagram of the laying components. This looks like a great solution for the bicycle tours and the occasional State park where no trees can be attached to, but not so great for hotels unless you can attach to the feet of the bed and attach to the bathroom doorways with a strap and a fob under the door (like used in the travel band exercise kits).

I am really liking the idea of the Lamzac. If you can find a way to seal the baffle to seal better, it would likely hold longer.

I was thinking of more of a hiking mattress pad with two larger chambers on the sides larger like a pontoon

pontoon.png

Placing a strap between the bottom of the two larger chambers so they wont separate would give you the sensation of being in a hammock. I mocked it up on the floor with my Klymit Lux and some filled up drybags, seemed to work, but this is what I am looking at making as an alternative.

I need to find two strong and long inflatable chambers about 6" in diameter, 72" long to attach to the sides of a standard wide inflatable pad, strategic strapping to keep it from moving around and I think it may work as an answer.

Edit:
    I am really thinking 3" or 4" side baffles under the pad would be best, I am going to see if I can put it together and test it out.

Right now in order to sleep in hotels, I have to work the pillow under my knees, I put an inflatable Klymit cush stadium seat under my lower back and I use a Sea to summit neck pillow to give just enough under the neck... yeah, I have thought about about it a lot.... Here is what they look like and they pack down to a grapefruit size in my luggage:

comfy_fan.png 41F6kEpjJ2L._AA160_.jpg
    Last edited by Agfadoc; 03-31-2016 at 07:29.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Or better yet... Sorry I get twitchy on these things..

A cylindrical baffle going in a modified circle surrounded by a ripstop mummybag.. It could work with the right height of inflatable

Diameter.png

Two of these inflatable scuba safety sausages with the ends tied together inside a sewn ripstop bag that would hold it together:

http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-1...sage--SMB.html

XS-Scuba-Safety-Sausage-SMB-Big-1.jpg

Then have a lumbar and knee support in the middle:

Diameter2.png

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    OR...

You could just buy a cheap inflatable raft like this one at 7 lbs, under inflate it, turn it upside down and you are probably set:

Intex Explorer 200, 2-Person Inflatable Boat Set with French Oars and Mini Air Pump by Intex
    Link: http://amzn.com/B000051ZHS
    61suSkwF5rL._SL1000_.jpg

$17 solution... Cheap and light... Huh.. Huh.... I'm going to try it for the heck of it.
    Last edited by Agfadoc; 03-31-2016 at 08:26.

Wow, you HAVE thought about this a lot, haha! I admire your determination for a solution, I'm almost as determined as you. I've had to do the same thing you've described in hotel or guest beds, propping something under my knees and behind my back so I'm almost sitting up. That's the only way I can sleep in a regular bed.

I LOVE the inflatable raft idea, and I'm really curious to see that in action. You kind of have the same principles at work with the raft that you do with a hammock...interesting. It's also a super cheap thing to test. What a great idea! Please give an update if you test this theory!

As for the Lamzac, since it's made of Ripstop, the reviews I've read say that ripstop doesn't really hold air very well for a long period of time, and so that why you'd only get 3-4 hours of sleep out of it before having to refill. The Kaiser seems to be made of a heavier material that looks like it would hold air better, and like akaCat said, should hold about 6 hours.

I also like your "pontoon" idea. If you wanted to be in a tent, protected from the elements, that might be the best way to go. Genius thinking with the sleeping pad and scuba safety sausages.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast