Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    All my hammocks are gathered end with triple stitched channels. I just larkshead a continuous loop through the channel. I find the lay to be fine and no need to fiddle with overhand knots or anything else.

All my hammocks have Zing-It 1.75 mm adjustable ridgelines - Amsteel is overkill but will work fine. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th roll of Zing-It. It's great for ridgelines, guylines, tie-outs, etc.

I like to use a continuous loop through the channel and then use Dutch Whoopie Hooks - that way I'm not packing wet suspension with dry hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Is Zing-it the same thing as Dyneema?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainlaurel View Post
    Is Zing-it the same thing as Dyneema?
    Zing-It is made from Dyneema.

http://www.wesspur.com/throw-line/zi...hrow-line.html

Dutch also resells it for a few bucks more:

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/zing-it...ni-spools.html

All his titanium doo-dads are designed to work with 1.75 mm Zing-It!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    I guess I'll stick with amsteel then for the ridgeline. Are there other ways of making an adjustable ridgeline without doing a whoopie sling? I'm making this hammock as a surprise gift for my husband so I want him to be able to adjust the ridgeline after he gets it.

Pyrogen, I'm not familiar with the amsteel dogbone. Do you have a link on that? I'd like to look into it if it's also adjustable.
    look up UCR (utility constrictor rope) it uses a lot less amsteel than a whoopee and is just as adjustable. its what I have on all my hammocks for an adjustable ridgeline and I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Banned
    Images
    I count off 3 inches of material. Fold it at 3 inch, now fold the end of the 3 inch fold 1 inch under. gives you a room for three 1/8 apart stitches

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrogen View Post
    Interesting question though, dealing with "Lay Dynamics"... what effect does end gather have on comfort? What's the difference in fabric tensions between a thru-channel setup, and a gathered end setup? What's yall's preferences, and why?
    End gather methods can significantly affect comfort. Some of my hammocks have a 6 inch loop passed through the end channel. If the loop-through-the-channel method leaves the edges of the hammock too loose to support my head while lying in the hammock, I pull out the loop and gather and whip it as described here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html where I pull the corners of the hammock a few inches through the gather before whipping it. I'd never again use zip ties for the gather, one broke at a remote camp on the PCT--I salvaged the night by tying a knot in the end of the hammock.

A whipped gather may use one or two more inches of material, shortening the hammock some.

Cheers!

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    I guess I'll stick with amsteel then for the ridgeline. Are there other ways of making an adjustable ridgeline without doing a whoopie sling? I'm making this hammock as a surprise gift for my husband so I want him to be able to adjust the ridgeline after he gets it.

Pyrogen, I'm not familiar with the amsteel dogbone. Do you have a link on that? I'd like to look into it if it's also adjustable.
    Hi,
    I can send you a Utility Constrictor Rope made of amsteel in orange, blue, green, yellow or silver. Just tell me the maximum length you want for it, or just tell me the length of the hammock after you gather it up. Send me a PM. I can get it to you in under three business days. No charge, just because I envy your hubby for having such an accommodating spouse--I'm not in business. It will have a loop at each end to larkshead onto each end of the hammock.

No hardware involved, no need to mail order more stuff.

Cheers

Jeff

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    End gather methods can significantly affect comfort.
    That's what I thought, I didn't know If I was being neurotic though. One night I spent quite literally a few hours trying different end channel or bundling experiments and just wound up frustrated. I "felt" the difference, but I didn't know what I was looking for or whether or not what I was doing was better or worse. So in that link, I see how the end is gathered and some slack is taken up on the far edges of the fabric, but how is the suspension installed past that point? Would you simply Larks head it around the whip? That doesn't seem secure to me. Forgive the Ignorance, I'm less than a month fresh into this all. At any rate, it makes sense to take up some slack, something just running a CL through the hemmed channel doesn't bother to address.

Mountainlaurel, you should take Kayak4water up on his very kind offer!
    Last edited by Pyrogen; 03-31-2016 at 08:54.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrogen View Post
    how is the suspension installed past that point? Would you simply Larks head it around the whip? That doesn't seem secure to me. .....it makes sense to take up some slack...
    I larkshead my whoopie sling on the hammock below the whip. I depend on the extra bulk of the whipping to keep the larkshead from slipping away.

Some folks sew a very narrow channel on the sides of the hammock and install thin shock cord+cordlock to take up the slack. Adds another step or four. many things work. :*)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Kayak, that is SUPER generous of you! Thank you so much! I will send you a private message.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast