Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien

Speed hooks, whats wrong with em?

Just a quick one folks

I'v heard of dutch speed hooks and and i'v heard of them failing.....but what was actually wrong, i'm guessing it was the stopper "knot" slipping off the end of the hook?

Cheers......adam

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    They destroy the amsteel leads at the spot that wraps around the speed hook.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The Speed Hook itself didn't fail, like WB states, it frays the Amsteel Lead a bit.

I still use mine since they first came out from the first batch. If you have some and want to still use them, just take a few extra seconds to use them right.
    I give a full turn instead of a half turn to lock it in. Pull on the SH to pre tighten the suspension before getting in the hammock. This will help to keep too much friction from popping some of the threads as you load the hammock.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    The Speed Hook itself didn't fail, like WB states, it frays the Amsteel Lead a bit.

I still use mine since they first came out from the first batch. If you have some and want to still use them, just take a few extra seconds to use them right.
    I give a full turn instead of a half turn to lock it in. Pull on the SH to pre tighten the suspension before getting in the hammock. This will help to keep too much friction from popping some of the threads as you load the hammock.
    I think these steps go a long way toward minimizing wear.

There also seems to be concern about the Amsteel getting compressed and having it make small radius turns around the hardware. I think these issues are pretty much the same in that a fraction of the number of fibers end up carrying too much load.

It seems Dutch is being extra cautious in trying to develop the next generation to be sure that any replacement would eliminate most, if not all, of the problems. He doesn't like to have products disappoint/fail.

That said, I think there are a number of folks that are happy to keep using them carefully and are willing the replace the lead a bit more frequently for the advantages that Speed Hooks offer.
    Last edited by TominMN; 03-30-2016 at 12:05.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    Thanks chaps

The reason i ask is i happened to watch a speed hook video while looking for whoopie hook vids

Turns out i'm using loopalien large UFA's in much the same manner so was just wondering if i'm going to encounter similar problems.
    I'v had a few hangs with the UFS's and loads with the knock offs before that, and not noticed any damage to my amsteel as yet.....i'll keep a close eye on em though

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    It was not so much even the fraying. Dutch used some for a while and then tested the break strength of the amsteel and it failed much lower than normal. The way the amsteel wrapped around and over it self puts your full weight on small contact points on the speed hook. Amsteel does not handle being crushed very well. The small surface area being smushed can weaken the amsteel. Amsteel is made to be a replacement for steel cable neither of which like small radius turns or being deformed.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts