Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmaui View Post
    hahahahah yeah to bad so many in history used hammocks and are actually way better shape than many of us are today
    look at many in central and south America that still use them

not mocking you just those that say its bad to do it all the time and if it was they would have exact reasons and proof !
    even then with 12 million people misdiagnosed each year and the fact they go from fat is bad to fat is good coffee is bad to coffee is good etc... this is bad to this is good and cant seem to really nail down anything without changing there mind 10 years later its all just theories and I highly doubt anyone has done any serious studies and came up with solid proof any which way and even then it would change in a few years

so is a futon better or a western bed ? and why then if the bed is so superior does it also give one such major problems ?

chances are the doctors would say well its because you sleep like a banana and that would be bad on your back and neck !!!!
    I happen to be one who respects scientific research over "theories" and anecdotes. Even people who don't feel that way are generally alive today because of science.
    Comparing our health to societies that use hammocks to sleep in but otherwise have very different lifestyles is a poor argument. I'm not saying that hammocks are bad for you, just that any person I have asked with expertise in human anatomy (even on this forum) doesn't see how it can be good for the spine when used long term. Hammocks may not have been studied extensively, but the human back has and there are very clearly defined differences btwn an adult spine , a child spine, and a fetal spine. Im just raising the concern, but, as always, HYOH.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    hahahahahah OK no theories and anecdotes yet you have asked some people and they say they don't see how it can be good ? and there is no science to back it up just there theories ? OK GOTCHA !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    I happen to be one who respects scientific research over "theories" and anecdotes. Even people who don't feel that way are generally alive today because of science.
    Comparing our health to societies that use hammocks to sleep in but otherwise have very different lifestyles is a poor argument. I'm not saying that hammocks are bad for you, just that any person I have asked with expertise in human anatomy (even on this forum) doesn't see how it can be good for the spine when used long term. Hammocks may not have been studied extensively, but the human back has and there are very clearly defined differences btwn an adult spine , a child spine, and a fetal spine. Im just raising the concern, but, as always, HYOH.

Images
    My son, age 14 presently, has been sleeping in a hammock full time for over a year now. I have converted to a full time hanger personally since the first of this year. He takes trips, sleeps over nights with friends, and on vacation and sleep in a traditional bed. Every time he says the same thing and longs to get back in his hammock. It's been a great transition for us both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    Interesting idea, but you might want to do some research into the physiological effects of sleeping in a hammock full time. I've asked that question here before, and while there are plenty of people who are full time hangers and swear by it, I haven't found a single doctor/PT/chiropractor who would recommend it. I might take the risk on myself, but I doubt i would on my kids.
    My Chiropractor, who is a 35 year old fantastic bone crusher recently bought a Costco Hammock and has admitted to sleeping it it 3 nights a week recently. All I ever said to him is that I sleep much better and soundly in my Hammock vs a Bed in case it could make a difference clinically. I definitely have my favorite and most comfortable sleeping positions where I drift right off no matter how I feel. It took some experimentation to get it right but it makes a huge difference in what works for you. I would rather have 5 hours in my hammock than 8 hours in any bed. FWIW, my go to Hammock is a Byer of Maine Traveler, close to 11ft and very wide. I have 15 Hammocks in my arsenal but have 2 spares of my favorite. (I am wired like that, just ask my Wife.)

Somebody mentioned under insulation and I agree. I use an ENO Ember in the house and if the temps might go below 75F in the room, I need it. CBS is not fun at any temp.

I would have really liked sleeping in a Hammock when I was a Kid!

Hammock
    Selfmade Gathered-end Hammock
    Tarp
    What keeps me dry
    Insulation
    What keeps me warm
    I slept in a hammock full time starting at about age 8 (my parents originally were concerned) into my twenties. When I got married I switched to a bed. I STILL prefer a hammock any day as I feel as I get better sleep. I have never had back problems and I got several friends converted in my teenage years and non of them have mentioned back problems.

I plan to let my kids have the option and if they end up favoring a hammock I will look into removing their beds. I didn't remove my bed till I was a junior in highschool where it had been serving as a storage area.

Do your kids sleep in them full time?

My 15 year old daughter wants to convert and after debating it, I'm switching her over this weekend. The only reason anyone has anything negative to say about it is because someone always has to dispute someone else's choice, that's human nature in our society today. Not one person that is speaking out against it has any proof whatsoever that it's bad. I don't know about you guys but I lay as flat in my hammock as I do my bed so how is it any worse on my spine than a bed is? As far as the CPS comment, I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about there.
    Last edited by craig.hertzog; 04-01-2016 at 10:52.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB CB / UGQ WD
    Insulation
    WB Lynx / LL GP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    image.jpeg
    We have been hanging since September of 2013. We put 40* underquilts on in the winter. The kids love them. Not one morning have they woke up and said their back hurt. They sleep so well, and I think they sleep more soundly as they wake up earlier when they sleep in beds. But that could be because they are in other places. (Hotels, friends houses, relatives house, etc)

Images
    Well, my youngest was my biggest question mark - last night was the third night he slept in his! He either climbed out or fell out the first night and cried at 3 AM for me to help him back in... I am curious to see if he sleep any better long term - he has never slept well, at all.

I just have it rigged up under the top bunk. I think we are going to try and get hardware up this weekend to give it a trial run with the other kiddos. I will have to get some blankets for underneath though... we only have a couple spares, and most won't work well I don't think. Maybe some cheap comforters??

WIN_20160330_210307.jpg

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I was using a blanket and sheet in my home hammock, just because I didn't want to take the time to make a topquilt, but it was EXCEEDINGLY annoying because it would slide around and I could never keep it on me. I found a great solution was to lay it out on a flat surface and fold the bottom like a fan then tie a rope around the folded blanket/sheet. That kept the sheet and blanket together in the right position, and I could find the knot with my feet and push it back to the right position over my feet in the hammock. You could tie it like I did or permanently sew it, but I think a "footbox" is an important luxury. Hope this helps.

Images
    Sunsetkayaker- good idea! I think I would just tie it because laundering and drying would be easier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast