Clark TX-250, WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

AR > Eagle Rock Loop April 29th-May 1st (3days, 2 nights)

Join a few of us on a trek to complete Eagle Rock Loop in the Ouachita Mountains leaving Friday morning April 29th and completing the loop Sunday afternoon May 1st. 26.5 miles trekked over three days with two nights "hangin" by water on the trail! I'm hosting out of Hot Springs Arkansas and we're having a pre-event grill out on April 16th for those who want to share pack ideas, hammock talk, camp cookware ideas, bushcraft knives, and more! The formal event page is on Facebook and in here.

FB contact: Brandon Davis (Hot Springs,Ar). Send friend invite and I'll accept and connect you to private event page.

Or......in here! Either works brothers!

Cookout April 16th, at 4 pm, 104 Westminister Place, Hot Springs Arkansas 71901. RSVP so I can get the beer and burger counts right! 501-762-9953. (Brandon's Cell).

PS: bring your gear to grill out to showcase if you'd like! I'm laying out mine!

Event Launch site for Eagle Rock Loop is Albert Pike Campgrounds at 8:00 AM. We will discuss in more detail shortly but the website to the track is. http://www.duprephotography.com/ERL/index.html

Test not only your hammock systems, but your ultralight-light backpacking skills as well! Some of us are bringing our fly rods to hook in on the Little Missouri if water and time permit!

Come join us!

Hammock
    WBB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Cinch Buck/Stingrz
    Images
    Hey Bud,
    Wish I could make your trip but I'm going on the Eagle Rock Loop 4/7 - 4/10. I wanted to pick your brain a little if you have done this loop before. We intend on night hiking a mile or less on Thursday and camping near Blaylock Creek near Leader Mtn. Night 2 will be near the Little Missouri Falls and Night 3 will be near the Winding Staircase. We are driving in from the south. Any suggestions on a better rotation for camp sights?
    Thanks,
    "I have come to realize that fat boys don't hike. I need to quit or hike more!" - Big Fish

Hammock
    DIY 11'er
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ all around!
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    If I didn't have Scout-a-rama with my 11 year old this weekend I would be all over this trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    Hey Bud,
    Wish I could make your trip but I'm going on the Eagle Rock Loop 4/7 - 4/10. I wanted to pick your brain a little if you have done this loop before. We intend on night hiking a mile or less on Thursday and camping near Blaylock Creek near Leader Mtn. Night 2 will be near the Little Missouri Falls and Night 3 will be near the Winding Staircase. We are driving in from the south. Any suggestions on a better rotation for camp sights?
    Thanks,
    Sounds like you have a solid plan. There is a campsite right below the trailhead on Blaylock Creek so night hiking would be minimum

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    I'm actually going to be out on that loop April 29 - May 1 as well! Taking a group of about 5 or so...I'll have the ULA Ohm with the peace button on the back. Maybe I'll see you guys out there!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    I'm actually going to be out on that loop April 29 - May 1 as well! Taking a group of about 5 or so...I'll have the ULA Ohm with the peace button on the back. Maybe I'll see you guys out there!
    I'll be the sweaty mess with the heavy marines ruck sack lying sideways on the trail begging for snickers bars and an airlift. Lol....see you on the trail!

Ps: We're hiking clockwise from Albert Pike, just three of us and my Golden Retriever.
    Last edited by BiskitznGravy; 03-29-2016 at 22:46.
    "You can't believe everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Bud,
    Thanks,
    I can provide some color when I get back to the laptop on the morning. I move like a herd of turtles typing on this iPad.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I hope to head to ERL, in May. Will be my third trip. You should hit up Backpacking Arkansas. Check, the water gauge at Langley. And I hope you already know, there is no overnight parking at Albert Pike. Suggest either Winding Stairs parking area (not far from Albert Pike), or perhaps up at the north east, Little Mo parking area (there is a grass lot, also no overnight in the actual day-use only area).
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I hope to head to ERL, in May. Will be my third trip. You should hit up Backpacking Arkansas. Check, the water gauge at Langley. And I hope you already know, there is no overnight parking at Albert Pike. Suggest either Winding Stairs parking area (not far from Albert Pike), or perhaps up at the north east, Little Mo parking area (there is a grass lot, also no overnight in the actual day-use only area).
    Thanks rhjanes, it's a good website recommend and we were able to procure some nice waterproof maps a couple weeks ago through it. We're getting dropped off at Albert Pike by the wife since I live only 15 minutes away. Doubt that place will ever be "overnight" again since the flood deaths. Hiking clockwise from the launch. Some nice Garmin loads/stats for the trail as well but I'm a stats junkie so I'm sure the boys are sick of the elevation feeds and water reads. They will appreciate it when they see the water cross frequencies for sure. Maybe we can all coordinate down the road. I'm eyeballing a buffalo river run but we're not sure if we're hiking or kayaking. Early fall run.
    Last edited by BiskitznGravy; 03-29-2016 at 22:43.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Vertex, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Bud,
    Thanks,
    No suggestions....Winding Staircase gets great reviews by the locals here so that spot for sure is going to be rewarding. I've reviewed that routes backwards and forwards and it seems ensuring a night camp on the Winding are the most frequent feedback I get here in Hot Springs. I've not hiked to loop yet so I've little background on it other than what I'm picking up in my local circles and the boutique sporting goods stores that cater towards kayakers and hikers in the area.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    also remember, no one will need to carry very much water. The Little Mo trail, is along the river. So is the Viles Branch (easy rock hops). The ABF/mountains, at the bottom of each is a creek to filter water from. Camping in the Winding Stairs, I've not done. I have camped along viles, just before the ABF intersection. Lots of places. I hammock camp, but still lots of places for tents, fire rings and such. On the mountains, at the bottom of each, I think there is camp areas already in place. Little Mo also has lots of places. Near the NE trail head, a lot of people set up. I've set up to the south of there twice with very large areas to camp in (flat, and tons of trees, fall asleep to the river if you set up near it).
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast