Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images

Underquilt width?

I've been trying to educate myself regarding down underquilts before I buy one. Based on the average width of several vendors, they seem to be around 42-45" wide. The widest standard I found was UGQ at 47". I've watched a lot of videos and often see people struggling to keep the underquilt around their shoulders even with adjusting the suspension. I do have wide shoulders and want to avoid this potential problem. I can go custom and add a 5" baffle to Hammock Gear's 44" width taking it to 49". It would be for a 20 degree quilt.

Does this seem like a reasonable solution or will it create any problems with the hang or suspension? I'm willing to go with the added weight. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Images
    I love wide. I can see no reason wider would give you an issue. Note: always a good idea to not use your hammocks tieout if they prevent the quilt from coming up the sides.

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger 11'
    Tarp
    Monster Tarp
    Insulation
    HG TQ/LocoLibre UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    I have a Hammock Gear 20 degree underquilt that I purchased used and it is standard width of 44". I ordered a top quilt from them and ordered it in the wide version. I purchased a 40 degree underquilt from Loco Libre and had an extra baffle added for a total width of 50". I really like the extra width for the exact reason you mentioned. While I have used the 44" underquilt down to 23 degrees without any problems keeping it up on my shoulder and up on my feet with a diagonal lay I really like the extra width on the 50 inch underquilt. I am perfectly happy with both and won't be parting with either. But, if I were going to have another underquilt made I would go with a 50" width. I am not a gram counter so the extra weight doesn't matter to me. I have wide shoulders (and everything else). My wife spent her first night in a hammock last week and used the 44" wide underquilt. I noticed it comes up much higher on her because she is not wide. I have several hammocks, all 11' gathered end hammocks with no tie outs. Good luck with what ever you pick.

Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I'm broad across the shoulder and chest and my diy. Underquilt is 48 inches and works well if I bought one Id have it made no less and probably go to 50. Just to allow for no thought wiggle room and a lil extra is no big deal a lil to small would drive me crazy.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I love wide. I can see no reason wider would give you an issue. Note: always a good idea to not use your hammocks tieout if they prevent the quilt from coming up the sides.
    Thanks for the response and info...much appreciated.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ipokebadgers View Post
    I have a Hammock Gear 20 degree underquilt that I purchased used and it is standard width of 44". I ordered a top quilt from them and ordered it in the wide version. I purchased a 40 degree underquilt from Loco Libre and had an extra baffle added for a total width of 50". I really like the extra width for the exact reason you mentioned. While I have used the 44" underquilt down to 23 degrees without any problems keeping it up on my shoulder and up on my feet with a diagonal lay I really like the extra width on the 50 inch underquilt. I am perfectly happy with both and won't be parting with either. But, if I were going to have another underquilt made I would go with a 50" width. I am not a gram counter so the extra weight doesn't matter to me. I have wide shoulders (and everything else). My wife spent her first night in a hammock last week and used the 44" wide underquilt. I noticed it comes up much higher on her because she is not wide. I have several hammocks, all 11' gathered end hammocks with no tie outs. Good luck with what ever you pick.
    Thank you for all the info and response. Just what I was hoping to hear.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastmatt View Post
    I'm broad across the shoulder and chest and my diy. Underquilt is 48 inches and works well if I bought one Id have it made no less and probably go to 50. Just to allow for no thought wiggle room and a lil extra is no big deal a lil to small would drive me crazy.
    Great info...thank you!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    As a side sleeper, I use the entire width of my UGQ UQ. Much appreciated.

• + New Posts