10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    With the Duck, you keep sitting. If its Goose you get up and run around.
    Hahahahaha

There are other differences in down than just duck vs goose. I understand one 800 is not the same as another's 800. Some 800 is average 800 while other 800 is min 800. Also the amount of feathers in the down, and how well it was cleaned varies.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    There are other differences in down than just duck vs goose. I understand one 800 is not the same as another's 800. Some 800 is average 800 while other 800 is min 800. Also the amount of feathers in the down, and how well it was cleaned varies.
    Yes also 800fp in the states is not 800fp in europe its a feather minefield
    Tacblades

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    For you graybeards...... or those who know historical/vintage stuff.... What's the likely FP of 100% Goose Down in a sleeping bag made by Hirsch Weiss with White Stag label? Shell material is a nylon or polyester taffeta type, metal zipper, tag says GOOSE DOWN, and 2lb fill weight. Its got slightly less than that due to a hole made by an ember on the bottom, but it lofts up quite well... approx 6 to 7 inches of loft after laundering and fluffy drying with tennis balls..... I was originally going to make a quilt or three from this much down, but the bag fits me perfectly... 34x90 size and Mummy shaped.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    "Fill power is expressed as cubic inches per ounce (in³/oz)—a lofting power of 400–450 is considered medium quality, 500-550 is considered good, 550–750 is considered very good, and 750+ is considered excellent." (Taken from Wikipedia)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fill_power
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    "Fill power is expressed as cubic inches per ounce (in³/oz)—a lofting power of 400–450 is considered medium quality, 500-550 is considered good, 550–750 is considered very good, and 750+ is considered excellent." (Taken from Wikipedia)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fill_power
    That doesn't help me, short of completely emptying the bag of its down and weighing it and see how big it is per ounce.....

So.... no one knows? How would I know if I've got a 550 fill down bag with 2 pounds of down, or a 700 fill down bag with 2 pounds of down...... other than how thick it is.... it's much thicker than my Fiancee's The North Face red down bag, but that red down bag is a lot narrower....

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    There's no other real way to test it. Even how thick it is doesn't matter if it's overstuffed. My guess is that it is near the 500-600 range. High power downs are more recently used and most vintage bags did not have 800 fill power down in them.
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    There's no other real way to test it. Even how thick it is doesn't matter if it's overstuffed. My guess is that it is near the 500-600 range. High power downs are more recently used and most vintage bags did not have 800 fill power down in them.
    I'm aware that it is definitely not 800-850 fill; but just how common were fill powers of 600-700 Goose Down in the 70s thru to 90s? That is as far as I can tell of the two down bags I have; the NF bag doesn't say Goose down, just down, while the White Stag bag says Goose Down and has the tag saying 2lbs of Goose Down; which according to the Federal Trade Commission, is supposed to be 90% down to feather fill; since it's supposed to be Goose down, I assume it is much higher quality than budget Duck down stuff, right?

Whatever down leaked out, is very similar, if not the same in feel as the ones leaking out of the 700 FP Costco Down throws.

Hammock
    DIY Bananahammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Duo
    Insulation
    DIY / HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar & UCR
    I'm not sure as I was only 6 years old at the end of 1990. Either way, you have two pounds of down. Make something to the loft you desire and enjoy! A cheap DIY project is very satisfying and great on the wallet
    Get lost in the woods and find yourself again. A vacation,to me, is working with your hands and surviving because of the fruits of your labor. In the business world I teach;in the natural world I learn.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Yeah thanks I'm thinking if I turn the bag into a TQ with no back, and then use the down from the back of that bag to make a couple UQs that's similar in thickness to the Costco down throws, but with proper baffles, or some such, for 2-3 season usage... the Costco down throw triple layer UQ I made, works good down to mid 30s, but I am thinking I want something lighter for summer hanging

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast