GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX/HyperD
    Suspension
    1in webbing straps

Sway with me - it's warm in my Climashield APEX UQ

My first DIY project is (mostly) complete. I made my own full-length synthetic under quilt using the RBTR APEX UQ kit. The project used HyperD for the shell and APEX 5.0 for the insulation.
    The "mostly" refers to the stuff sack that I haven't made yet, but the quilt itself is fully functional.

I've documented my project using Sway. Hopefully, someone will find it beneficial.

You can find my full write-up here: https://sway.com/MMnjW644gbD6lVa0

Here are a few of the pics from the Sway:

The raw materials:
    WP_20160305_16_48_09_Pro.jpg

The finished UQ with my hammock:
    WP_20160319_17_38_45_Pro (2).jpg WP_20160319_17_38_12_Pro (2).jpg

Thanks to the many others here before me who shared their projects that gave me both ideas and confidence to make my own UQ!

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    That's great! I need two DIY UQs by next fall and ALL the help I can get! Bookmarked your tutorial, thanks!

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Very well done, Uncaged! Really like the mods/design changes you incorporated to make the quilt modular (TQ or UQ). Think I'll crib some of those changes on the next couple of Apex quilts I make. Again, well done! BTW, what is your impression of the stock suspension that comes with the kit? Does it work as advertised or would you run the shock cord along the full length on each side if you were to do it over again?

Hammock
    DIY XL hyperD 11'
    Tarp
    diy gen2 silpoly
    Insulation
    diy UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    looks good. ive made an 5.0 apex UQ myself and theyre pretty nice. unfortunately when I made mine they didn't have a kit that you could buy and I had to figure everything out on my own. theres a few things that ive seen since I made mine that I look back at mine and say I wish I would have done it that way but its still a functional piece of kit and the learning experience was well worth the price of admission.

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX/HyperD
    Suspension
    1in webbing straps
    That's great! I need two DIY UQs by next fall and ALL the help I can get! Bookmarked your tutorial, thanks!
    Thanks! That's how I felt last fall. Lots of reading and thinking to get here. I wrote it for others in the same position. I hope it helps you.

Very well done, Uncaged! Really like the mods/design changes you incorporated to make the quilt modular (TQ or UQ). Think I'll crib some of those changes on the next couple of Apex quilts I make. Again, well done! BTW, what is your impression of the stock suspension that comes with the kit? Does it work as advertised or would you run the shock cord along the full length on each side if you were to do it over again?
    Thanks! The simple fact is, I haven't had as many opportunities to hammock camp as I'd like, so having something that can also replace my decades-old sleeping bag was a bonus.
    Regarding the suspension, I've only hung it once in the backyard for a short time to try it on for size. It seemed to work well. Previously, I modified an old sleeping bag by threading shock cord through the shell. It worked, but sagged some. Although, the weight of the heavy old bag contributed to that. Before construction, I chatted with RBTR and was assured that this system works on their personal UQs. It makes sense to me. What is to be gained by running a cord through the side when the LineLoc3 is attached at the end of the side seam? Doesn't the seam perform the same function as a cord that runs through a channel? However, to hedge my bet, I added channels along the sides anyway. I had enough scrap from trimming to do it. It's conceivable that I may not ever need them; but, I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

looks good. ive made an 5.0 apex UQ myself and theyre pretty nice. unfortunately when I made mine they didn't have a kit that you could buy and I had to figure everything out on my own. theres a few things that ive seen since I made mine that I look back at mine and say I wish I would have done it that way but its still a functional piece of kit and the learning experience was well worth the price of admission.
    Thanks! RBTR came out with the kit after I started adding items to my shopping cart on their site. I was nervous about pulling the trigger on my purchase. I'm looking to make several more UQs for my children. I ended up buying extra LineLoc3s in the process, so I probably will not be ordering the kit next time. But it gave me the confidence to buy what I did. I will likely incorporate some updates to their UQs after I've had some time in mine. That's why I called this "Hammock Under Quilt v1.0"
    Last edited by Uncaged; 03-23-2016 at 22:15.

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    that looks cool

Im inspired. Thank you for posting.

Looks great. I have the same kit in the box waiting to get started. Actually the same colors too. Thanks for the write up and tips I'm sure they will come in handy as I get started.

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX/HyperD
    Suspension
    1in webbing straps
    Thanks!
    I'm curious to know if anyone uses my modification and how they work for you. Also, if you have any suggestions for improvements you've made on what I've done or other tips, please share. I'll likely be making some more of these as the year progresses.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Here's a question... I have basically no seeing experience. I don't even own a sewing machine. I haven't sewed anything with a machine since I learned how in home economics back in high school 15 years ago.

If I picked up a sewing machine, what's the chances I could complete this project?

Every day is a good day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast