GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX/HyperD
    Suspension
    1in webbing straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    Here's a question... I have basically no seeing experience. I don't even own a sewing machine. I haven't sewed anything with a machine since I learned how in home economics back in high school 15 years ago.

If I picked up a sewing machine, what's the chances I could complete this project?
    I've had no formal training (never took Home Ec). If you can wind a bobbin, thread the machine, and know how to adjust tension and stitch type, you should be good. I used scrap pieces from my materials to test the rolled hems and sewing the layers (including insulation). I was unsure of my skills prior to this project. This Christmas, I asked for the DIY Box from RBTR. That little $10 kit gave me enough confidence in using nylon materials.

I specifically chose Climashield APEX insulation because it didn't require baffles or intermediate quilting across the UQ. Simply sew the rectangle perimeter. You don't have to add the side channels & loops. I do think adding the nylon end channels was easier than trying to sew the grosgrain channels on the outside.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20 +2,
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Pin, staple, tape, whatever, just go it excessively.

That will be your biggest friend as a beginner. Take it slow and you'll do fine.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock - Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    EE top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Just about to order the same DIY UQ kit so this is extremely helpful! Thank you

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Now I just need to find a sewing mach- errr...... thread injector.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX/HyperD
    Suspension
    1in webbing straps
    I want to offer quick update for anyone interested. I've only had the chance to use the UQ in the backyard a couple times for a test and a nap.

The nap took place on a chilly (32°F), windy day. I was also experimenting with tarp configuration. Unfortunately, the tarp test didn't go as well as hoped due to tarp size and wind direction. The UQ kept me warm on the underside. The fleece blanket on top not so much. The UQ had good coverage as I tried several different sleep positions. I learned that I have to fine tune how much the ends get cinched. I was under the impression that you just gather the ends tightly. That just results in poor end coverage.

This past weekend, my son and I went to cub scout camp with an overnight in a cabin. I chose to take my UQ and a blanket in lieu of my sleeping bag. I took the blanket merely as a cover for the mattress. I used the UQ as a TQ with footbox. I gathered the foot end tightly then used the loose end of that shock cord to lace the bottom half of the UQ using the grosgrain loops. It worked as well, or better, than I hoped. There was enough room for my legs to move and sleep in a figure 4 position. And I didn't get twisted up in the UQ like I do in my sleeping bag. I noticed a few times that I could feel the shock cord with my legs/feet, so that accounts for some of the roominess.

WP_20160314_22_36_54_Pro.jpg

I have quite a few busy weekends coming up and unless I take a night out in the back yard, I won't be camping in it until mid-May.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    Here's a question... I have basically no seeing experience. I don't even own a sewing machine. I haven't sewed anything with a machine since I learned how in home economics back in high school 15 years ago.

If I picked up a sewing machine, what's the chances I could complete this project?
    Lack of experience would not make a project like this difficult. Youtube will teach you everything you need to use whatever model of sewing machine you have to use. The sewing itself, also very easy for a climashield quilt.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Nice looking UQ. Way to go.
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeeter Pro
    Tarp
    Hammock Bliss XL
    Insulation
    diy apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I just got the kit for 3/4 length uq from ripstopbytheroll and will be using your modified directions (not counting being able to convert uq to tq though). I got two yards of all three layers though so will modify the length to use all the available fabric recd. I am comfortable in my sewing and math skills so this should not be a problem. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I also have the skeeter beeter hammock. The only part I am questioning though is whether to make it 45" or 50" wide. Noticing most uq are made 45" wide as a standard and not sure of the advantage of going wider?

What was your reasoning for the width?

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    DIY RBTR Winter 12
    Insulation
    DIY APEX/HyperD
    Suspension
    1in webbing straps
    I made it wider for peace of mind. My first UQ was a modified fleece sleeping bag. It was too narrow and ended up sliding completely to one side in the night. My second UQ was a modified regular sleeping bag, but I used the full, unzipped width. It hung so low that it was dragging on the ground. However, the sides were peeking above the sides of the hammock. I was quite warm on a wet, windy, chilly Oct weekend. So was trying to find a happy medium. I know I won't sleep well if I'm worried about my quilt staying in place or not providing coverage. I based it on the width of my SBP. It seems good so far. The edges of the UQ and hammock are pretty even with me in them.

I'm also fairly new to hammock camping, so I wanted to err on the side of caution. I just car camp at this point, so weight and bulk aren't huge factors.

There was just enough trimmed from the outer shell fabric for me to add the side channels. For the record, I have not used the side channels.

That's awesome Uncaged! I just received my apex 5 uq kit from RBTR a while ago and have been working on a plan. Your "Sway" was extremely helpful!! Can you tell me how you accounted for the size difference between your outer shell and inner shell material? Did you use darts? I'm assuming you made a differential so the insulation didn't get crushed between the layers, but I just don't remember seeing how you accomplished that. I've researched a ton of different ways to accomplish that, but haven't decided how or even if need to. Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by fish1sw; 04-19-2016 at 15:53.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast