Hammock Newbie, Bottom Quilt Info

I will heading out next month to Dolly Sods, but this year will be with my new hammock setup. I am a first time hanger and would like any insight I can get. I purchased a Sparrow Dream Hammock (love it!) as well as a 40 degree (2 oz overfill added) top quilt from Hammock Gear. I do not like using my pad in the hammock, so I am just going to jump on a bottom quilt. Now I know everyone sleeps differently, but I am torn between a 20 degree and a 40 degree. I will be hiking in spring, summer, and fall weather (lows at 30-60) and my Sparrow hammock is a 4 season enclosed/bug net hammock...So, would a 20 degree under quilt be over kill? Also worth noting that my top quilt is snaps (didn't really enjoy sleeping in my tent mummy bag).

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    YO TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

I don't think that the 20 degree UQ would be much overkill at all, it will provide you a few extra degrees on the cold nights and you can just open up the ends to vent a little on the warmer nights if you find it to be too warm.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Do I think 20 is overkill, no. But if lowest lows are truly 30s, then I'd get the 40 with the same 2oz extra fill to match your TQ.

p.s. a 3-season, $100 Jarbridge from Arrowhead-Equipment.com would be an excellent budget choice if that's a consideration; I have both HG and the Jarbridge, like'm both.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    11.5' RBTR 1.0 HyperD Brown
    Tarp
    11' RBTR SilplyHex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/MultiBckle
    I just moved from Pittsburgh, so most of my hiking has been around PA including several trips to the Dolly Sods. I think if you already have the 40 TQ, it probably makes sense to match to that for now. When making these decisions, I have found it most helpful to think about what months I go hiking in throughout the year and the respective low temps. For example, I can typically use a 40* quilt late April through early October hiking around Pittsburgh. Assuming that I will always leave a 5-10* cushion between the rating and expected low. Thinking about it this way, a 40* quilt will cover a large majority of my trips.

I use this site for weather averages: http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/uspa3601

I would rather have less bulk 9/10 trips, and maybe need a TQ liner or Gossamer Gear 1/8th inch thinlight pad for an untimely Fall coldspell.

Extremely helpful responses. Thank you all.

I'm also a new hanger, but I've been finding that I get cold from the bottom up when I do in a hammock. I'm tending to err on the side of warmer UQ than TQ.

• + New Posts