Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension

Cool First night spent in other than a Hennessey -

I've only ever slept overnight in my HH which I've had for just about 8 months. I've never slept overnight in anything other than an Asymetrrical type, so the last couple of nights I decided to try out one I got from MassDrop made by Ultimate Hammocks. It's a double and I figured what the heck, hanging in my back yard so if it wasn't comfortable, i could always go inside.

I've napped in this one a few times, so I figured it would be ok. I have to say, I'm absolutely tickled to death with it! Now that I've slept in this one and been so comfortable for 2 nights, I will have trouble going back to the HH. First of all, the difference in the feel of the fabric is amazing.

I think all I did is just add more fuel to the already outta control fire...

Randy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Bridge Hooks
    I could never sleep in my HH's. I bought an 11ft hammock from Dutchware for all of $30, and the difference is night and day!

I have read this, but haven't read specifically HOW are they so different? I have had my HH for two years and it's the most comfy thing I've ever slept in. I have another hammock, which I use for lounging but, as it lacks a bug net, I've not slept in it. It seems like it would feel about the same. So, care to elaborate?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by jane.cassidy View Post
    I have read this, but haven't read specifically HOW are they so different? I have had my HH for two years and it's the most comfy thing I've ever slept in. I have another hammock, which I use for lounging but, as it lacks a bug net, I've not slept in it. It seems like it would feel about the same. So, care to elaborate?
    Sure! As I said, I've only spent overnights in my HH before, and loved it. I sleep like a baby in it - and it's got a bug net, so it will be my "bug proof" way of sleeping until I do something different.

I really enjoyed being able to easily change from "head left" position to "head right" position. I didn't think that would be anything I'd do, but I slept one entire night on the other side of my normal "head left". I switched back and forth a few times just for fun. The fabric was just so much more comfortable - easier on my skin. I never have had an issue and didn't think about it until I slept in this thing. It was just as easy or maybe even easier for me to get a nice flat lay either direction. On my HH, i tend to get a hard ridge (for lack of a better word) down the center if I'm not laying just right. it can be a little to deal with - didn't happen on this hammock.

just for my own reference I slept outside again last night in the HH just to have a very recent reference. I slept well, just kinda missed the other hammock.

I don't see myself ever getting rid of the Hennessy, but I'm glad now to know the other types work very well for me. I've got another hammock being built by Rick at Cave Creek Hammocks - can't wait to get my hands on it. It will be a little wider even than this one!

I hope this helps - I'm really new to hammocks, but I've put in a lot of nights in mine since I got started and it's nice to discover something like this.

Thank you. What kind of fabric does your other one use? I have a sheepskin pad in mine and a sleeping bag, so I don't feel the fabric much anyway.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    It's like parachute material, not sure what it's called. I don't sleep on a pad or anything, I was just in shorts and t-shirts. I just found the ability to get ridiculously comfortable somewhat of a surprise, since I kinda had talked myself into the Asym being the best way to sleep.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think HH uses polyester that stretches less than nylon. If the Ultimate is nylon that would account for a difference. So would a difference in the thickness of the material used.

FWIW The stretch is also why I was happy to see silpoly come out. It should be a lot better about sagging when wet than silnylon. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    There is a big difference, but I can't say which one is better - just different. The HH A-Sym is a flatter lay (call it a firm mattress), where as my 11ft Dutch Argon is soft and a little more stretchy (the medium mattress), with my nylon 12 footer very soft and very stretchy (the soft mattress). I rotate between all 3 during a year - but often it is hard to choose the right/best hammock for the situation.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    There is a big difference, but I can't say which one is better - just different. The HH A-Sym is a flatter lay (call it a firm mattress), where as my 11ft Dutch Argon is soft and a little more stretchy (the medium mattress), with my nylon 12 footer very soft and very stretchy (the soft mattress). I rotate between all 3 during a year - but often it is hard to choose the right/best hammock for the situation.
    So what you're telling me is I'm in trouble as I buy more hammocks - decisions to make? HA!

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    MWG Monster Fly
    Insulation
    JRB Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I have an old non asymmetric HH Backpacker with the velcro "birth canal" and used it for about a year before I discovered the comfort of a simple 11' hammock. Such a massive difference. Flatter lay. Easier in/out. Better suspension. Won't use the HH ever again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast