Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have the nx-270 and upgraded to Dutch's Whoopie sling suspension. Works much easier but for simple adjustments I think I will try the webbing/cinch buckle version next time.I have the Z-liners for my Clark vertex 2 person and they work on the NX. That and my 20 degree sleeping bag got me down to mid-40s. Just the pockets alone would have had me frozen though I didn't have all sorts of clothes and jackets to bundle in them. As I use a couple different hammocks year round I just ordered an incubator 20.

The pockets are nice but I wish I knew about the ventable ends on the TX. Frankly, with the NX marketed as a 4 season it should have them. It would certainly have made for better sleep on hot humid nights, or in my case, not had me go with a tent instead.

Tarp wise I have a Kelty 12 and the vertex. The vertex definitely covers it but seems a bit tight if the weather gets nasty. Haven't tried the Kelty with it. I plan to get the superfly next. Kelty size with true doors and much less bulky to pack.

Hope that helps
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Clark NX-250/NX-270/NA/NX-200
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Me personally, I recommend the NX-270. I live in Florida and own the NX. When it is warmer out I just do a 180 flip in the hammock and use the foot end as the head end so that I don't have the pickets under my body. The rain fly that you can get with it is plenty enough for the hammock, but I myself like something bigger. You could always upgrade to the vertex for that or go with a different brand. The stock ropes that come with them really do suck, so that's why everyone changes out to the whoopie slings. You would have no problems with the whoopies supporting you and they are very ease to change out. Clark did mention to me that they are in the process of using something different instead of the ropes that they currently use. Just don't know when that change will happen.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Great - thanks for the info guys! One thing I am trying to figure out with regard to the NX-270 / TX-270 hammock. I see they have the:

1.0) TX-270
    2.0) TX-270 with WeatherShield

Does the "WeatherShield" essentially make the TX-270 into the 4-season hammock of the NX-270? It essentially gives you the flexibility for plenty of open-netting exposure during the hot summer months, with the zip in WeatherShield exterior to help on the colder months? Color preference wise, is green; I see the TX-270 + WS and the NX-270 are the same price (if I pick "Green/Black") but the TX-270 would give more flexibility in temps at the expense of storage (4 pockets vs 6 pockets). Pocket wise, is less "more"?

Lastly, looking at Dutch's site, I see the "Whoopie Hook Suspension" package on the site. Is that all I'd need?

Hammock
    Clark NX-250/NX-270/NA/NX-200
    Tarp
    HG 8x10 cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    The weather sheild does a couple of things. One, it helps keep it warmer inside the hammock on cold nights. Two, it gives you some privacy. I have even changed clothes inside mine. The TX only has the 4 pockets under it where the NX has the 6. The pockets are what somewhat act as an UQ because it creates ddead air space between you and the outside air.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyamateurs View Post
    As someone interested in the Clark TX-270 or NX-270, this thread is interesting. There are no real plans to camp in the winter, but being in Minnesota and using this in the Spring where lows could be in the 40s and fall, where it's down in the 30s, would the TX-270 be the right balance? I reckon there could be some mid-summer trips with the family so we're talking in the 60s or 70s depending on the humidty.

Also, for those that bought one, did you go with their rainfly or is there something better in your expert opinions? I get the impression that we can upgrade the suspension to some Dutch products? I'm 5'11 and 250lb and want some security when hanging (not to mention the right trees!).

Thanks.
    - Jay
    Jay, I picked up my NX used of of here this past fall, and it came with a Vertex..

I pulled the OEM rigging off and put a whoopie sling in it, and passed the vertex on to my son... The Vertex will work, but like what was pusted above if the weather goes south there is not much room under it for other stuff..

Currently I'm running a WB Superfly and it works darned nice. That being said I may pass that onto my son as well and get a UGO Winter dream 13.
    My reasoning is,
    1) The doors have snap closures at both ends whereas the WB doesn't,
    2)I can get it in Camo,
    3) they make a build in pole mod that looks alot cleaner then the DIY I have for my WB SF,
    4) finally the Winter Dream is 13ft long vrs the 11ft of the WB, Granted the WB is 10ft wide vrs the 9'6" of the Winter Dream but would give me a bit more room to get my gear in out of the weather..

I see your in MN, your more then welcome to check out my set up if you wish... Its always nice to kick a tire before you buy stuff sight unseen..

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic5586 View Post
    Jay, I picked up my NX used of of here this past fall, and it came with a Vertex..

I pulled the OEM rigging off and put a whoopie sling in it, and passed the vertex on to my son... The Vertex will work, but like what was pusted above if the weather goes south there is not much room under it for other stuff..

Currently I'm running a WB Superfly and it works darned nice. That being said I may pass that onto my son as well and get a UGO Winter dream 13.
    My reasoning is,
    1) The doors have snap closures at both ends whereas the WB doesn't,
    2)I can get it in Camo,
    3) they make a build in pole mod that looks alot cleaner then the DIY I have for my WB SF,
    4) finally the Winter Dream is 13ft long vrs the 11ft of the WB, Granted the WB is 10ft wide vrs the 9'6" of the Winter Dream but would give me a bit more room to get my gear in out of the weather..

I see your in MN, your more then welcome to check out my set up if you wish... Its always nice to kick a tire before you buy stuff sight unseen..
    Thanks for the details! I'm in the Twin Cities - don't suppose you are?

Hammock
    Clark NX270, 11ft DH Sparrow x2
    Tarp
    WB SF, UGQ WD13
    Insulation
    Z-Liner, 0 Zeplin
    Suspension
    Whoopiex2
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyamateurs View Post
    Thanks for the details! I'm in the Twin Cities - don't suppose you are?
    HELL NO!!!! ;-)

Just south of DLH. My AOR happens to be the jump off point for the N shore or to head N to the range and beyond..

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123