Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Need advice with my situation!!

Hi guys, i am a new hanger and right now all i have is an ENO hammock and some straps. I have heard that they are not great for camping. i was wondering if i should buy a dutchware hammock(if so, which one?) or keep my ENO and buy a rain tarp or something else. any recommendations? Thanks again.

I had an ENO Doublenest and once I replaced it found the longer hammock to be more comfortable. Might not be the same for everyone but just my experience.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I've got no experience with the Eno. But I have three Black Birds. The XLC is very nice. But so is the regular black birds. All mine are the DL, Double layer. The material is based on your weight, get the thinnest that is rated for your body weight, plus some. Remember, the WBBB have a "shelf" and it is easy to put in a book, meds, water, light....

If you would, list all your hammock gear. Eno suspension. Tarp? Top Quilt (TQ)? Under Quilt (UQ)? Other ways to stay warm? Pad? Then folks who know the Eno and other hammocks, can assist in how to upgrade based on need.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    I'd figure out what you like and don't like about your setup first, before you start replacing things.

That said, any hammock will need a tarp, so that's not really a replacement as much as it is an addition. I'd grab a tarp, and use it with your eno for a while at least. Just make sure you buy a tarp that will cover a larger hammock that you might get in the future.

Good luck .

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon W 1.6
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator E 10°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I bought an ENO Junglenest and a week later upgraded to a Dutchware Hexon W 1.6 for a much improved situation. Feels like there's much more room to sprawl out and get comfy.

Hammock
    11' Robic XL
    Tarp
    HG 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just switched from my double nest and if it's comfy to you then you're good to go. All the others have perks, but if it's either another hammock or a tarp, you need a tarp more than two hammocks. You could check out some integrated setups. I'm a fan of just a hammcok so that I can choose if I want a tarp or bugnet or both but like stated, can't go wrong with a black bird

I am trying to keep costs low, so a blackbird is not an option (unless it is really worth it.) I am 6'1, and all i have is a sleeping bag rated for 20 degrees as a top quilt no under quilt but i do use a pad, atlas ENO straps and the ENO doublenest. i was thinking about buying the 11 ft hammock from dutchware but i am not sure what the difference is between the 11 ft and the half-wit, other than the bug net.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As far as I know, partial bug net is the only difference between the two Dutch hammocks. At 6'1" you'll probably experience a better lay with an 11' hammock, but it seems your next equipment acquisition should be a tarp and some form of mosquito netting.

ok, thank you. do have any recommendations for a bug net and tarp? i am on a budget of hopefully around 130 USD and have a few budget tarps a have seen, but not bug net. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I started with an ENO DN and loved it so much, i bought another. I bought an 11' Dutch and love it even more.

If it's a choice between tarp and hammock, I would get the tarp, no question. Get a new hammock later because the ENO already works for you and you should have a tarp.

The ENO is fine for camping. But, after a while, many people who camp more often tend to get something lighter and longer when they are ready to try something else.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast