SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by rockchuck View Post
    ok, thank you. do have any recommendations for a bug net and tarp? i am on a budget of hopefully around 130 USD and have a few budget tarps a have seen, but not bug net. Thanks.
    There are several cottage vendors on here who all have good products. Just quickly checking one of their sites, Simply Light Designs, you could pick up a bugnet and minimal coverage tarp in that budget range.

Hammock
    DIY 11' Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11.5' w/doors
    Insulation
    Locolibre ,UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/webbing
    Dutch sells a Fronkey Style Bug net for $57: http://dutchwaregear.com/fronkey-style-bugnet.html
    There are also a lot of people on here that advocate a Kelty Noah Tarp as a good beginner tarp: https://kelty.com/noahs-tarp/ the 12' one goes for $69.95 on their site.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Recommend you attend a group hang where you can check out a lot of different rigs and talk to the folks using them. There will be a group hang at Merchants Mill Pond State Park the last weekend in April and one at Falls Lake State Park the end of May.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    Quote Originally Posted by rockchuck View Post
    I am trying to keep costs low, so a blackbird is not an option (unless it is really worth it.) I am 6'1, and all i have is a sleeping bag rated for 20 degrees as a top quilt no under quilt but i do use a pad, atlas ENO straps and the ENO doublenest. i was thinking about buying the 11 ft hammock from dutchware but i am not sure what the difference is between the 11 ft and the half-wit, other than the bug net.
    I can understand your point about keeping costs low, particularly as a beginner. You'll find a number of options for hammocks and there are a lot of personal choices that affect which you will prefer.

But I believe selecting a hammock that sleeps well is going to be your most important decision. Adding top and bottom insulation will come with experience and there are some low cost options to get your started. I used CCA pads initially for example. I had bottom insulation that reached down to the mid teens for about $50. The CCA pads didn't have the utility of my down under quilts that I've acquired over the last year or so, but the CCA worked fine as I learned to hang.

But I believe sound advice is to get a quality hammock to start. I have a WBB XLC and paused initially with the investment. I wondered how I'd explain to my wife if I didn't like it. But I do. I've found it sleeps better than my bed in the house. Really. You can compromise on a lot of the equipment choices but I would hold out for the best choice that works for you personally when it comes to the hammock. Good luck!

thanks you guys for all the replies! this has really helped me out!!!!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I tried a DN once, returned to REI only because I didn't like the extra flappy fabric on the sides, but otherwise it was fine. I'm 5'10". My advice would be to try to sell the ENO and straps and that should come close to covering the cost of the Dutch hammock and suspension. I'd just get the webbing suspension if I were you. If you can't sell it, no big deal, I think. The dutch hammock is longer, but the ENO DN is wider. I don't know that its correct to say they cancel each other out that way, but I think you would be getting only marginal benefit from the change.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I LOVED my ENO DN for about a year and a half. Then, I tried a longer, lighter softer hammock and kicked myself for waiting so long. I prefered my ENO to sleeping on the ground but, I prefer every hammock I have tried since to my ENO. (I still have my original ENO strung beneath my youngest son's lofted bed. I read to him from the hammock every night).

Dutch Hammocks are certainly a great way to get a more comfortable hammock without breaking the bank. I prefer those with a bit of stretch to those that are more firm. An underquilt will be next most important piece of equipment in determining your sleeping comfort.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

thanks, but again, i really don't have the money for a blackbird xlc right now, and as of now i'm not even sure i will like hammock camping. if i do go out, i feel like a bug net and a tarp will be more important, and then in the future i could upgrade. Also, for a tarp, would i be fine with a yukon walkabout tarp, or should i just wait?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yes, fine with the Yukon
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    If you can sew or know someone that does look at buying a kit from ripstopbytheroll they have a winter model or hex trap kit for around $65

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast