DIY Membrane Hex
    Insulation
    DIY EE 850fp Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images

Newbie in Oregon

Howdy do!

I am the mom to three great kiddos - an Eagle Scout and Venturer, my girl Venturer, a Star Scout. Five years ago my older son backpacked the Three Sisters with his troop. He had so much fun he insisted his never even goes day hiking mom join him on the next 50-miler. It was in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in the Wallowas with a 45# pack. Yikes! Since then I backpack 3-6 50 to 100-milers during the spring/summer/fall as well as many weekend backpacks I can squeeze in with and without the Scouts and Venturers. Several of the youth have hammocks. I want to give it a good try too.

Last year I made my own down camping quilt, catenary cut tarp, bug net tent (for spring and early summer). This has cut down on my pack weight tremendously! Now my pack is 28-30# for a week.

I have been reading these forums for a couple months. There is almost too much information for me here. I want to make a light backpacking hammock kit. I have seamstress skills aplenty. I am belwildered about what to make.

I backpack in the Pacific Northwest where it can get wet and windy especially in the spring or fall. I just went on my first snow camp out. It went well but I am not sure I am brave enough to snow/hammock camp yet.
    I am 5'10" and weigh 175#.

If money for fabric, seamstrss skills, time were no issue what would you make and why? Looking for a non-bridge hammock set up. Single layer or double layer hammock? Tarp shape? Ground cloth or no andwhy/why not? (I don't see lots of them in the photos but do see some.)

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I eagerly await your advice. My Scouts/Venturers do too as several of them are hoping to create set ups too.
    --
    moniquews
    --
    moniquews

Adults are obsolete children. ~Dr. Seuss

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Welcome from Marietta GA. I'll let some of the more experienced members tackle your questions!

Quote Originally Posted by MoniqueWS View Post

If money for fabric, seamstrss skills, time were no issue what would you make and why?
    --
    moniquews
    Wow, you're definitely not afraid to jump in with both feet, huh? Your kids are VERY lucky.

To answer the question :

Hammock, single layer gathered end, 11 foot made from whatever material you decide. I like my 1.6 argon made by Dutch but there's lots of fabrics and I am not knowledgeable enough to comment further.

Tarp, sil-nylon or sil-poly, or if money is no object, cuben fiber for lightness. Cat-cut if nylon, square cut if poly or cuben, as I understand those don't stretch and so don't benefit from caternary cuts. I have no experience with large winter tarps with doors and so forth. Maybe others can suggest.

Top quilt: plenty of examples to emulate. Check the DIY forum if you haven't already.

Underquilt : Ditto.

Little things : you can make tree straps and whoopie slings, maybe a ridgeline organizer and a ridgeline.

Oh, and if you make your own gear like this, you have to post pictures of it. I think it's a requirement or something.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Dbl lyr HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane Hex
    Insulation
    DIY EE 850fp Quilt
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement.
    --
    moniquews

Adults are obsolete children. ~Dr. Seuss

• + New Posts