Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Webbing Length vs. Whoopie Length

Quick question...

Say you have 8 feet of free webbing after going around a tree and your whoopee sling fully extended is another 8 feet but you only need 4 foot total for a proper hang.

You've got 2 points you're able to adjust - where you tie your MSH or set your Dutch Buckle or whatever and how much slack you take up on the whoopee sling.

What do you all do? Set the MSH/DB as close to the tree as you're reasonably able and maximize the length of the sling? Split the difference between the 2 so you have a more or less even length of webbing and sling? Set the MSH/DB towards the end of the webbing and minimize the length of the sling?

Why?

Do you do the same regardless if it's raining or likely to rain or clear skies?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I moved to Dutch whoopie hooks several years ago when they came out - the only adjustment point is the adjustable loop of the whoopie. Whoopie hooks are well worth the cost - I never liked toggles and the MSH anyway (especially after I fell on my butt a couple of times).

In your case, I'd say set the MSH so that there is no excess webbing, then use the whoopie to adjust.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    quoting SilvrSurfr, "I moved to Dutch whoopie hooks several years ago when they came out - the only adjustment point is the adjustable loop of the whoopie."

Where are you connecting the whoopie hook? You obviously need a loop somewhere, either attached to the strap or to the hammock to hook onto. Seems to me it only makes sense if the whoopie is attached to the hammock and you're connecting to the strap via a loop larksheaded on the end. That still limits you when tree distance is tight. Just doesn't seem to make sense to have strap, whoopie AND loop.

If your hammock has loops, seems a lot easier to me to just throw them over the DB or spider, etc. directly on the strap, no whoopie, or only use the whoopie when its necessary to hang between points relatively far apart. Are you saying its somewhat riskier to do that, risking that the hammock loop gets dislodged from that connection point? I use webbing & buckles and its hard to argue with their simplicity and flexibility, but I was considering trying out spiders.
    Last edited by dakotaross; 03-18-2016 at 14:05. Reason: to make clear who I was responding to
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Thanks.

At the moment, I've got Whoopies with Dutch Buckles (I'm sure it's not my last purchase, however).

I'm coming from an Eno Atlas strap system. Just trying to get used to something new and different.

I set up yesterday and thought to myself that adjusting the buckles didn't buy much in terms of adjustment speed - since you do have 2 spots for adjustment and re-setting a MSH is pretty quick and painless. I'm assuming the buckles are more secure in that a toggle isn't going to snap, slip, etc.

I've got a trip planned next week so I'll have plenty of opportunities to play around and work on sliding the buckle around.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    quoting SilvrSurfr, "I moved to Dutch whoopie hooks several years ago when they came out - the only adjustment point is the adjustable loop of the whoopie."

Where are you connecting the whoopie hook? You obviously need a loop somewhere, either attached to the strap or to the hammock to hook onto. Seems to me it only makes sense if the whoopie is attached to the hammock and you're connecting to the strap via a loop larksheaded on the end. That still limits you when tree distance is tight. Just doesn't seem to make sense to have strap, whoopie AND loop.

If your hammock has loops, seems a lot easier to me to just throw them over the DB or spider, etc. directly on the strap, no whoopie, or only use the whoopie when its necessary to hang between points relatively far apart. Are you saying its somewhat riskier to do that, risking that the hammock loop gets dislodged from that connection point? I use webbing & buckles and its hard to argue with their simplicity and flexibility, but I was considering trying out spiders.
    Sorry, the Dutch Whoopie hook is on the adjustable loop of the whoopie. The tree strap (or tree hugger, if you want to call it that) is larksheaded onto the fixed loop of the whoopie. The hammock has continuous loops, so you connect the Whoopie Hook onto continuous loop. The tree huggers are wrapped around the tree, and you feed one end through the loop on the other end (pulling the whoopie sling through as well).

So basically, there is no MSH to come loose - there is nothing that can come loose. In four years of using Whoopie Hooks, I think I've only found one hang where the tree distance was too short (and I didn't want to use those two trees, but I was in a swamp and it was getting dark). In that case, I did bypass the Whoopie Hook and whoopie sling entirely and hung directly from the continuous loops (which were hooked onto an MSH on the tree strap).

If the tree circumference is too big (which is extremely rare on the East Coast since we clear cut everything last century) and I'm using old growth trees, I lengthen the strap (or hugger) by larksheading a continuous loop onto the strap (I carry a couple of spares).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poorbadger View Post
    At the moment, I've got Whoopies with Dutch Buckles (I'm sure it's not my last purchase, however).
    I used Dutch Buckles for a couple of months. They're certainly an improvement over the MSH, but the Whoopie Hook suspension is just easier to use and more quickly adjustable.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Understood about tree distance, I say the same thing about my 12' tarp. Just seems to me like the use of the DB, spider, etc. is so that you could either lose one of the 3 components, or get closer to the tree if needed.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I use 8' whoopie and 8' tree straps. Living with in the south east, most people would say I don't need that much and I agree. But, there's been a few times I'm glad I had it. Because it allowed me to hang where I wanted and i also hang at different friends houses for sleepover parties.

I'm not a gram weenie and the few grams extra are fine for me. If you do it ant to keep weight down but be the n the safe side, you can carry shorter straps and whoopies and carry an extra whoopie and/or strap. But we are talking single digit grams here

Hammock
    10' 1.0 dh darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    Incu-Sniv-Pepper
    Suspension
    All of 'em
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sorry, the Dutch Whoopie hook is on the adjustable loop of the whoopie. The tree strap (or tree hugger, if you want to call it that) is larksheaded onto the fixed loop of the whoopie. The hammock has continuous loops, so you connect the Whoopie Hook onto continuous loop. The tree huggers are wrapped around the tree, and you feed one end through the loop on the other end (pulling the whoopie sling through as well).

So basically, there is no MSH to come loose - there is nothing that can come loose. In four years of using Whoopie Hooks, I think I've only found one hang where the tree distance was too short (and I didn't want to use those two trees, but I was in a swamp and it was getting dark). In that case, I did bypass the Whoopie Hook and whoopie sling entirely and hung directly from the continuous loops (which were hooked onto an MSH on the tree strap).

If the tree circumference is too big (which is extremely rare on the East Coast since we clear cut everything last century) and I'm using old growth trees, I lengthen the strap (or hugger) by larksheading a continuous loop onto the strap (I carry a couple of spares).
    I have a whoopie hook suspension like SilvrSufr. Being in the NE, 4 foot huggers probably would have been fine. I went with 5. With the huggers, whoopies, cl's and an 11ft hammock, I found a couple of times i needed more distance between trees to use as intended. I simply put a msh in the strap as normal, and the whoopie was able to get over it, even with being larksheaded together. Worked great and got me the extra foot I needed. Wrapping the hugger portion around the tree multiple times is the easy solution, but this time it fell into that void where I couldn't get another loop around the tree.

So to answer the OPs question, I am a noob, but I dont see a big difference of where to put the spike as long as you have plenty of adjustment available left for your whoopies.
    Last edited by TheMushroom; 03-18-2016 at 17:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Utmushroom View Post
    So to answer the OPs question, I am a noob, but I dont see a big difference of where to put the spike as long as you have plenty of adjustment available left for your whoopies.
    Yeah, that's my real question. Does it matter, is one way more secure or more safer than the other? From videos, etc. it seems people like the keep the MSH/Buckle close to the tree unless you need the extra length.

I'm in the Southeast and went with 8' deciding it's easier to trim that back than add a couple feet. For the most part, I think I'm going to be able to get away with 5'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast